Feeling Hopeless

Please pray for me. I have always struggled with my faith and I suffer from death anxiety. I have panic attacks about death that hit me from out of nowhere. Even though there is so much evidence for a God and an afterlife, I sometimes become terrified that it all isn’t true. I worry about nothingness and ceasing to exist. My grandma died 3 years ago and I worry that I will never see her again. I worry that nothing I do matters. My anxiety and panic attacks are starting to affect my family and I am starting to suffer from depression. I really need prayers and/or advice.
Thank you

Remember, Our Lady of the Sacred Heart, what ineffable power thy divine Son hath given thee over His own adorable Heart. Filled with confidence in thy merits, we come before thee and implore thy protection.

O heavenly Treasurer of the Heart of Jesus, that Heart which is the inexhaustible source of all graces, which thou mayest open to us at thy good pleasure, in order that from it may flow forth upon mankind the riches of love and mercy, light and salvation, that are contained therein; grant unto us, we beseech thee, the favors which we seek, for the intentions of AshJade.

We can never, never be refused by thee, and since thou art Mother, O our Lady of the Sacred Heart, graciously receive our prayers and grant our request. Amen.

May Jesus comfort you
in all your afflictions.
May He sustain you in dangers,
watch over you always with His grace,
and indicate the safe path
that leads to eternal salvation.
And may He render you
always dearer to His Divine Heart
and always more worthy of Paradise. Amen.

St. Michael the Archangel, pray for us.
St. Joseph, pray for us.

What is your spiritual life like? Sounds like it may need tuning up. Depression is usually just a temptation. Attend Mass as often as possible. Is adoration available? Daily prayers, reading the Bible, the Catechism. Are you active at Church. Perhaps you need to get involved in something outside the family.

There is an afterlife. How else explain the visitations of the Blessed Mother throughout the world? Besides, God does not lie.

Linus2nd

Eternal, Holy God,
I come to You burdened with worries,
fears, doubts and troubles.
Calm and quiet me with peace of mind.
Empty me of the anxiety that disturbs me,
of the concerns that weary my spirit,
and weight heavy on my heart.

Loosen my grip on the disappointments
and grievances I hold on to so tightly.
Release me from the pain of past hurts,
of present anger and tension,
of future fears.

Sometimes it’s too much for me Lord,
too many demands and problems,
too much sadness, suffering, and stress.

Renew me spiritually and emotionally.
Give me new strength, hope, and confidence.
Prepare me to meet the constant struggles
of daily life with a deeper faith and trust in You.

Let your love set me free, for peace,
for joy, for grace, for life,
for others, forever.

AshJade - I have two recommendations. First, make an appointment to see your priest about your spiritual concerns.

Second, to address the panic attacks and depression I recommend you get an appointment through your family doctor to see a psychiatrist. Do it now! The panic attacks and depression can be controlled through medication. Once you get the panic attacks under control you will be able to deal with the spiritual issues in a much more rational manner.

I will pray for you as will others, but you really do need medical intervention for the panic attacks and depression. Someone on the board said “Depression is usually just a temptation.” ** Please disregard that remark because it is absolutely not true.** Depression and panic attacks are real and if left untreated can lead to much bigger problems. You do not have to suffer.

Thank you for posting this; it’s imperative to understand that anxiety and depression
are medical conditions that need treatment.

Prayers for the OP said.
Mary.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.

Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.

And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Amen.

Dearest Jade,

As others mentioned, please speak with your priest and with your doctor.

Your concerns may all be part of anxiety and depression. Panic attacks are a form of anxiety. OCD is a form of anxiety.

Your doctor can help you find a therapist. You may want individual therapy or you may be able to sit in a group setting where the therapist helps you understand the workings of your thoughts, moods, and behaviors that are part of your anxiety and depression.

The therapist may be able to help you to retrain your habits of thought, so that you do not suffer from the symptoms of anxiety, panic attacks and depression. The therapist may be able to help you retrain your thoughts about your grandmother and death.

The therapist can help you learn how to relax your mind and body when negative emotions, feelings, and thoughts begin to upset you.

When the panic hits and you start feeling the fear that there is no afterlife, your re-training of your thoughts from therapy will help you to physically relax your body and your mind will remain in control telling you what you know is true - that God gives us His Peace and God has prepared Heaven for His children. You will learn to over-ride this fear and panic that leads to depression.

This is not something to try to solve by yourself. God has given doctors, priests, and therapists ways to help people in their struggles with spiritual and mental health concerns.

May God lead you to the right priest and the right doctor or therapist to help you overcome your feelings of hopelessness.

May you feel God’s peace beginning now. May you know in both your heart and mind that Heaven is real. May you feel God’s love covering you and your grandmother’s soul.

Lord Jesus Christ, You have willed that St. Dymphna should be invoked by thousands of clients as the patroness of nervous and mental disease and have brought it about that her interest in these patients should be an inspiration to and an ideal of charity throughout the world. Grant that, through the prayers of this youthful martyr of purity, those who suffer from nervous and mental illness everywhere on earth may be helped and consoled. I recommend to You in particular those for whom we now pray

Christ, most Divine healer, please heal this person and grant peace of mind, joy, patience and strength to carry this cross

Our Father, Who art in heaven
Hallowed be Thy Name;
Thy kingdom come,
Thy will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us;
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil. Amen

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death.

Amen.

Dear AshJade,

The psychiatrist of the agency I work at is quite clear about panic attacks being anxiety about anxiety. So, it is worry about worry, or worry at the thought of being worried, worry at the thought of pain, of being paralyzed, at an important moment. Or, it is worry that intensifies given reinforcing thoughts and physiological responses (e.g., palpitations, hyperventilating). In telling you this, I guess I’m suggesting a more careful awareness of how your body responds. Then, certainly, a careful examination of negative (e.g., discouraging, self-recriminating) thoughts. [With that said, please connect with professional help.]

I guess something more critical is your profound reflection on death. Is life meaningful?
Faith? Love?

I pray for your healing and that you feel God’s presence in a very deep comforting way.
I pray, I share… [Psalm 51]

1Have mercyon me, O God,
****according to your unfailing love;
according to your great compassion
*blot outmy transgressions.
Wash away
all my iniquity
**and cleanseme from my sin.
For I know my transgressions,
***and my sin is always before me.
Against you, you only, have I sinned
****and done what is evil in your sight;
so you are right in your verdict
**and justified when you judge.
Surely I was sinful
at birth,
***sinful from the time my mother conceived me.
Yet you desired faithfulness even in the womb;
*you taught me wisdomin that secret place.
Cleanse
me with hyssop,*and I will be clean;
***wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.
Let me hear joy and gladness;
**let the bonesyou have crushed rejoice.
Hide your face from my sins
**and blot outall my iniquity.
Create in me a pure heart,*O God,
**and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Do not cast me
from your presence
**or take your Holy Spiritfrom me.
Restore to me the joy of your salvation
****and grant me a willing spirit,to sustain me.
Then I will teach transgressors your ways,
*so that sinnerswill turn back to you.
Deliver me
from the guilt of bloodshed,*O God,
****you who are God my Savior,
***and my tongue will sing of your righteousness.
Open my lips, Lord,
***and my mouth will declare your praise.
You do not delight in sacrifice,*or I would bring it;
*you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings.
My sacrifice,O God, is
a broken spirit;
****a broken and contrite heart
***you, God, will not despise.
May it please you to prosper Zion,
***to build up the walls of Jerusalem.
Then you will delight in the sacrifices of the righteous,
***in burnt offeringsoffered whole;
*then bullswill be offered on your altar.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.

Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.

And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Amen.

Praying for you, AshJade, and entrusting you to Our Lord and to the healing care of Our Blessed Mother:

Lord Jesus, we trust in You!
May You please touch AshJade with Your healing grace,
and bestow on him peace of soul and peace in his heart.

We take refuge under thy protection,
O Holy Mother of God;
despise not our prayers for AshJade
in his necessities,
but ever deliver him from all dangers,
O glorious and blessed Virgin. Amen
(Adapted from the Sub Tuum prayer to Our Lady.)

Hello AshJade!

Do not despair! You are getting some great advice and prayers here. I too suffer from panic attacks, anxiety and depression. I have since I was a teen - for over 30 years. When it first began someone told me it was satan. This scared me greatly. I went immediately to see a priest and he assured me that what was happening was physical - a chemical imbalance in the brain and that I should seek medical advice immediately and that medications and therapy would be very helpful. I did this and now I take medication and it has made all the difference in the world for me. I have also discovered my anxiety triggers - watching the news, or news shows like 20/20, etc, not trusting is God’s will for my life and allowing worry to take control. I have also discovered things that help besides medications - exercise, eating healthy, and asking God for help when I become fearful. Perhaps the person who I originally spoke with was correct that satan does want to come into our lives via TV, worry, fear, etc. but medications, therapy and PRAYER can help! You are not alone in this!

You are in my prayers
Blessings ~

Hi AshJade - I recommend a program of action to help alleviate the fears because it worked for me. I attend RCIA every year to relearn the catechism and renew my faith. RCIA has been very helpful because it teaches me the logic of my faith. I sent some prayers to you to help you through this difficult time. God bless you. :slight_smile:

Praying hard to St Dymphna.

Sometimes, we have things in our family which might even be caused by genetics or traumas but can now be treated quite effectively with medication.

I know another person who suffered depression, had panic attacks, couldn’t sleep at night, and he got treatment. He said then that he could now “enjoy his life”.

In addition, a lot of times counseling can be helpful. If one can afford it, there may be a counselor available through Catholic Social Services. If not, there are other ones that might be better covered by one’s health insurance.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death
Amen.

St. Jude, pray for AshJade!

Offering a decade of the Rosary that God might grant you an increase of faith.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.