Feeling inadequate

I am part way through RCIA and attending Mass whenever my husband allows. He is still a bit antagonistic but is happy for me to pursue wherever faith leads me. But I am suddenly feeling all inadequate myself about the task of becoming Catholic, worrying that I am not up to it.

On the one hand I know it’s irrational, especially considering God’s infinite mercy, but on the other hand I want to be sensible and realistic about taking on what God requires of me. And there are the niggly warnings from old Christian friends that i am risking my eternal soul by embracing the anti Christ church (and no, I’m not making that up) which is making me horribly unsure of myself.

maybe it is good to be unsure of myself, and learn to trust God more. But I don’t know, I can’t shake off these negative feelings.

You’re not becoming Catholic just to join a religion, but to grow toward union with Christ.

If Christ is the center of your life, you don’t have to worry about not living up to what you perceive as the religion’s mandate. Jesus Christ is the reason for becoming a Catholic. Everything else is merely the means to that reason.

Jim

May you be filled with loving kindness. May you be well. May you be peaceful and at ease. May you be happy. Blessings to you and yours.

If they are planting doubts in you, then it might be time to step back from these friends for a while and try to make some new Catholic friends. Keep up your studies; the more you know, the more you grow in the faith! :flowers:

:amen:

Remember the Catechism clearly states Jesus Christ is the head of the Church:

669 As Lord, Christ is also head of the Church, which is his Body. Taken up to heaven and glorified after he had thus fully accomplished his mission, Christ dwells on earth in his Church. The redemption is the source of the authority that Christ, by virtue of the Holy Spirit, exercises over the Church. “The kingdom of Christ [is] already present in mystery”, “on earth, the seed and the beginning of the kingdom”.

“Christ is the Head of this Body”
792 Christ "is the head of the body, the Church."225 He is the principle of creation and redemption. Raised to the Father’s glory, "in everything he [is] preeminent,"226 especially in the Church, through whom he extends his reign over all things.

May you continue to grow in your journey in Catholicism… it must be so difficult with others telling you such things and I will pray for you.

God Bless,
Mary.

Please do not feel inadequate. However, it is important, at least in my opinion, to understand what God requires of you so that you may do what pleases Him. However, you must also understand that you are not perfect, so you will stumble in some areas. Alas, this is why the Merciful Redeemer gave us the Sacrament of Penance, so that we can get back up. I use this latter sacrament very much!

When I was an Anglican (Church of England) I too believed in the stories about the Church being of Antichrist. However, I soon discovered they were all false. They were made up by people trying to justify their schism from the True Church.

You are about to become another child of the One Holy Catholic Apostolic and Roman Church, the Bride of Christ, the Mother of Christians and the Barque of Peter. This Church was founded by Jesus Christ Himself, with Peter as her Head, and the Apostles as her Bishops. He gave her His Divine Constitution to preach and baptise, to confirm and to instruct.

You will enter into a mystic union with Jesus Christ. You will become a child of the Father, a brother/sister to the Son, and a spouse to the Holy Spirit. You will have the Mother of God as your own Mother, the Saints for your brethren, and the Angels as your guardians. You will receive the Body and Blood of Christ from the Lord’s own Altar, by His Priest, in communion with the Most Holy Father. Remember, God is the Supreme Gentleman, and never coerces anyone. But, He does open the door for you to pass through.

Turn to the Blessed Mother, and ask for Her guidance, and also to St. Peter, Prince of the Apostles. Never cease to pray. God bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.