Feeling Left Out

My husband and I have lived in the same housing subdivision for 5 years. We have just recently started spending a lot of time with two sets of neighbors (married couples with children) who’s company we enjoy very much. Our kids play together and it’s all great. The problem is we are the only Catholics. Our neighbors go to same church (Non-Denom) and when the conversation turns to religion or anything to do with church, well, I feel really left out. They go to church together on Sundays and then spend time together afterwards. We are then again, left out. I know they don’t do it purposely but it still hurts a little. I guess it’s just one of those things that I will have to learn to live with. :shrug:

Matthew 5

Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
5Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the earth.
6Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled.
7Blessed are the merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.
8Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they will see God.
9Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called sons of God.
10Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Let Christ be your company, first and foremost.

As far as conversation goes - if you guys are good friends - you should study up on Catholic theology and have some interesting discussions. It is important to always trust the Catholic Church who is guided by the Holy Spirit but your friends might bring up some issues you had never thought of before.

And as for Sunday, let it be time for you and your husband to bond at Mass and to spend time in prayer.

Finally, seek out Catholic friends - get involved with some organizations through your parish. The need for people who share your faith is justified and i would encourage you to seek them out.

Anyway you can hook up with them after church? And yes , get involved in your Parish and make friends there. Start a group if you need to.

What an awesome chance to help expose more people to the beauty of the Catholic faith! When conversation turns to religion, take the opportunity to explain how the Church does things, show that you’re open to answering questions, ask them to explain their church’s traditions (with a little “t” :wink: ). The fact that they discuss religion in front of you shows that it’s not a “taboo” topic. Who knows, they might have a million questions about Holy Mother Church and are waiting for you to show that you’re open to answering them.

Just make sure that you’re honest. If you don’t know the answer, tell them you don’t know it, but you’ll find out and get back to them as soon as possible. Haul out your Catechism. Go over the topics on CAF’s homepage.

Good luck!
Cheers,
Cari

Invite them to come with you to Mass some Sunday… Give them the opportunity to share the way you worship.

(My previous employer did a LOT of work within the Jewish community. During their “High Holy Days” I worked at various Synagogues. I loved the experience… learned quite a lot about a different Faith, asked questions, and really felt “at home” in their House… even as a “Gentile”.)

You’ve already got something in common - just expand on it.

Join and/or volunteer at some groups or oganizations at your own church or parish. Trust me - you will have more new friends with kids and activities than you can handle. Who knows, the may live on the next street over?

basically it’s already been stated here, but definitely join in on their conversations. as catholics, most of us are too timid about our faith. study up, speak up, and share the truth that you have. maybe they are interested, but are just waiting for you to participate in their faith conversations?

Thanks for all the great advice. I actually have started becoming more involved with my church and it has made a world of difference in my life. I have made so many more friends, all my Catholic “sisters” as I like to call them :smiley:
I will take everyone’s advice into consideration.
You all made me feel much better. Thanks!

closed #9

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.