Feeling lost, empty, dark, or dying?

"Jesus is the WAY, the TRUTH, and the LIFE. Turn to Him!"

:thumbsup:

Yes!
I agree!

Or do I?

Only what if one has turned to Him, followed him for decades, and I still feels a bit lost, empty, and dark?

What if as a faithful Catholic convert, one has walked away from a full life with tons of friends and and fun, and has chosen a life that has way more solitude, friends who think you’ve lost your salvation, and frankly, just not as many fun activities?

Might someone still feel a bit lost, empty, dark, or dying in a dark night of the soul?

[INDENT]:bible1:*Enter ye in at the narrow gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way that leadeth to destruction, and many there are who go in thereat. How narrow is the gate, and strait is the way that leadeth to life: and few there are that find it! ***** Matthew 7:13-14[/INDENT]

You may well be experiencing what many Christians . . . *in varying degrees over the centuries *. . . have experienced in their walk with our Wonderful God . . . which is called the . . . “dark night of the soul” . . . which God allows many of His children at one time or another to experience . . . *and it is actually a rather normal “trial” of faith . . . *

Essentially . . . it lies in the reality that genuine love is a . . . CHOICE . . . not just emotion . . . which emotion can carry us away in all kinds of "not marvelous" directions at times if not disciplined by God’s :heart: Love with caution and reason . . . One needs to discipline and detach ones heart and emotions from anything . . . *people/places/experiences and/or things *. . . that might take precedence over one’s heart’s choosing its **first :heart: love **. . . which should always . . . be God and His Ways . . . and our consecration to Him . . .

:coffeeread:
Dark Night of the Soul

The term **“dark night (of the soul)” is used in Christianity **for a spiritual crisis in a journey towards union with God, like that described by Saint John of the Cross.

[quote]Dark Night of the Soul (Spanish: La noche oscura del alma)

is the title of a poem written by 16th century Spanish poet and Roman Catholic mystic Saint John of the Cross, as well as of a treatise he wrote later, commenting on the poem. The expression has since become a metaphor used to describe a phase in a person’s spiritual life, marked by a sense of loneliness and desolation … Saint Thérèse of Lisieux, a 19th-century French Carmelite, underwent similar experience. Centering on doubts about the afterlife, she reportedly told her fellow nuns, "If you only knew what darkness I am plunged into."

While this crisis is presumed to be temporary in nature, it may be extended. The “dark night” of Saint Paul of the Cross in the 18th century lasted 45 years, from which he ultimately recovered. Mother Teresa of Calcutta, according to letters released in 2007, “may be the most extensive such case on record”, lasting from 1948 almost up until her death in 1997, with only brief interludes of relief between [2] … a friend of Mother Teresa for a large part of her life, claims that **“the darkness left” **towards the end of her life.

In the** Christian **tradition, one who has developed a strong prayer life and consistent devotion to God suddenly finds traditional prayer extremely difficult and unrewarding for an extended period of time during this **“dark night.” **The individual may feel as though God has suddenly abandoned them or that his or her prayer life has collapsed …

**Rather than resulting in devastation, however, the dark night is perceived by mystics and others to be a blessing in disguise, whereby the individual is stripped (in the dark night of the senses) of the spiritual ecstasy associated with acts of virtue. Although the individual may for a time seem to outwardly decline in their practices of virtue, they in reality become more virtuous, as they are being virtuous less for the spiritual rewards (ecstasies in the cases of the first night) obtained and more out of a true :heart: love for God. It is this purgatory, a purgation of the soul, that brings purity and union with God.
[RIGHT]
- Wikipedia
[/RIGHT]
[/quote]

:bible1:

“To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:”
Ecclesiastes 3:1

[INDENT]They that trust in him, shall understand the truth: and they that are faithful in love shall rest in him: for grace and peace is to his elect. 10 But the wicked shall be punished according to their own devices: who have neglected the just, and have revolted from the Lord. Wisdom 3:9[/INDENT]

:gopray2:
***“O God
incline unto mine aid,
O Lord
make haste to help me.”
***Psalm 69:2
[RIGHT]. . . all for Jesus+
. . . Holy Spirit of our Wonderful God+
. . . teach, guide and direct+
[/RIGHT]

So maybe the word “Feeling” is what tripped me up. I had some really clap-happy great feelings at my evangelical church. Life isn’t slap happy right now, but I’m trudging along the narrow path that leads to life.

Is there scripture that says that we will FEEL better when we become a Christian? Or that we will BE in a better place.

Not sure if the Scripture room is the right place for this thread, maybe Spirituality or Philosophy would be better.

Just wanted to discuss this. Thanks for your beautiful post!

But seek ye first the kingdom of God,
and his righteousness,
and all these things shall be added unto you.
Matthew 6:33

"Feelings" are rather like the caboose on a train . . . in the Christian life “FAITH” is the engine of the train . . . powered by a mixture of pray:gopray2:er, the Holy Eucharist, learning of Sacred :bible1: Scripture, and catechisis in the holy truths of the Church . . . and following the engine of "FAITH" . . . “feelings” fall into line and flower and bear wonderful abundant fruit . . . all in due season . . .

“To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:”
Ecclesiastes 3:1

*In dedication to the Triumph of the Immaculate Heart . . .
[RIGHT]. . . all for Jesus+
. . . thank you Dear Lord+
. . . thank you Holy Mother Mary+
. . . thank you Holy Mother Church+
[/RIGHT]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.