Feeling Really Discouraged

I am feeling really discouraged. I really need some support. Below is a link to my previous thread. My parents aren’t supporting me at all about my choice to become Catholic. I truely, honestly feel that I am doing the right thing. My parents (My mom is the only one saying that I’m making the wrong choice) don’t think I have researched enough. As it gets closer to Easter it is just getting worse. Everytime I eat lunch with my Mom she brings it up and makes it sound like I am doing the wrong thing. She is trying to send me on a guilt trip about how I won’t be with her at HER church on Easter. They aren’t even going to be coming to the Easter Vigil for me. I have to be at the Easter Vigil which is Saturday night, so I will be able to go with her but I think its wrong for her to try to make me feel bad. I’m 23 so its not like I’m 16 and going against what they are saying.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=134336

Today I will keep you in my prayers. What you are doing is the Way.

God Bless You

Christ said He came to set father against son, mother against daughter. Not that this is comforting to you, but Christ understands what you are enduring for His sake.

You seem to say that your mother is the main problem here. Can you talk to your father and enlist him in getting your mother to back off?

Hang in there Keri! :slight_smile:

You may have to simply be firm and tell Mom that you have checked it all out and that this is where the Holy Spirit has led you and that you will not be dissuaded. I’ll bet she has no idea what the Easter Vigil is like and would be totally blown away by it. Suggest that she and your Dad display the courage of their convictions and attend with you and if they refuse then accept it with good grace.

I know it’s tough. It hurts when others that we love do not support us in these most important of all decisions and all the worse when they make an active campaign against it.

Just “be nice” and keep Mom in your prayers and offer up your suffering for the grace of conversion for them.

If I can be of any help at all, please don’t hesitate to PM or e-mail me.
May the peace of the Lord be always with you.:console: :signofcross:

We are told often in the Scriptures to honor thy father and mother. But our Lord also knew of the crosses that we would have to bear. This is why he said:

If any one comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple.
Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me, cannot be my disciple.
(Luke 14:26-27)

But take heed, His yoke is easy and His burden is light. :slight_smile:

My family is the exact same way! Luckily, I have moved 2 hours away so I don’t have to hear it much, though it still hurts since my family has almost completely stopped talking to me since I told my mom I was converting. They still love me and everything, but are certain I’m making the biggest mistake of my life. I spoke with a Sister the other night who helped me feel a little better. She told me that everyone struggles when it comes to getting closer to God. With some their obstacle is family, others maybe different. Perhaps dealing with family in this way is our obstacle that we must get through to show God what we’re willing to sacrfice for Him. He gave up so much for us, so we can do our best to do the same if He asks it of us. (Not saying we’re going to completely lose our families, just that its a lot harder to be strong and stand up to them for our faith then to just give in and do nothing to keep peace)

Hang in there! If you ever need to vent/talk feel free to PM me.

God Bless, you will be in my prayers

Cathy

In the process of conversion it is not at all unusual to find ourselves in a state of intense oppression. This oppression can come in different forms. Satan uses these oppressions in an attempt to finally lead us to despair. Dispair is a means that the enemy uses to disrupt our movement in conversion toward Christ who is the living truth. Among the different forms of disruption is of course division, which sets one against the other, even among our loved ones. Let’s not forget that in our conversion we mirror Christ on his way to Calvary. Let us not forget that on the way to Calvary, Christ answered every blow to his flesh, every curse and insult against him with forgiveness, prayers and I would even dare say blessings upon his abusers. What did this accomplish? It was the very work of redemption that he was carrying out for our salvation. As we endure similar sufferings at the hands of our own oppressors let us not forget that our display of love and forgiveness toward them is the ultimate testimony of the fact that we are truly alive in Christ and He is alive within us. We die to ourselves in order to rise to new life in Christ. This new life may be rejected by others but let us be certain that as we die to ourselves to live in Christ that we are able to be living sacrifices testifying to others to the way and the truth of Christ himself. We must not be discouraged. Let Christ conquer your soul and be a living testament to Him.

I’ll be praying

Keri-

Satan does not want you to enter the Catholic Church, and he will use whatever means he can to attack you. Expect and intense spiritual battle until you are confirmed. Stay close to your Catholic friends and your sponsor during this time.

God Bless!

Hello from DB and Ali from Durban, South Africa. Faith is an entirely personal choice and commitment. I - Ali - converted to Catholicism 5 years ago after attending any number of different churches and denominations. When I attended Mass with my fiancee - now my hubby DB - all those years ago,I felt like I had come home and knew that my spiritual life lay within Catholicism. If your heart is happy and at peace with your decision to convert, then know that it is the right decision.

By the way I am the first Catholic in my family and they still love me!

We must not go by our heart but by the very Word of God.

And yet scripture says the word is sown in our hearts.

Jesus Christ is the Word of God and he established the Catholic Church.

:amen:

:amen:

Keri,

Steve Ray’s conversion story is a great one. His family opposed his conversion and his father was adamant. You might check out his conversion story or even try contacting him by email for advice at: sray@rc.net

In the meantime, please know that I and many others are praying for you. Always pray and continually make a quiet prayer for endurance.

God Bless.

Have you ever visited the Coming Home Network website?

chnetwork.org/converts.htm

You’re in our prayers, Keri. May you stay strong and keep the faith, and may your relationship with your parents be strengthened by your conversion.

Really?

Matthew 5:8 Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Matthew 6:21 For where thy treasure is, there is thy heart also.

Matthew 12:34 O generation of vipers, how can you speak good things, whereas you are evil? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.

Matthew 13:15 For the heart of this people is grown gross, and with their ears they have been dull of hearing, and their eyes they have shut: lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them.

Matthew 13:19 When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, there cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart: this is he that received the seed by the way side.

Matthew 15:8 This people honoureth me with their lips: but their heart is far from me.

Matthew 15:18 But the things which proceed out of the mouth, come forth from the heart, and those things defile a man. 19 For from the heart come forth evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false testimonies, blasphemies.

Matthew 22:37 Jesus said to him: Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with thy whole heart, and with thy whole soul, and with thy whole mind. 38 This is the greatest and the first commandment. 39 And the second is like to this: Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. 40 On these two commandments dependeth the whole law and the prophets.

Romans 5:5 And hope confoundeth not: because the charity of God is poured forth in our hearts, by the Holy Ghost, who is given to us.

Acts Of Apostles 15:8 And God, who knoweth the hearts, gave testimony, giving unto them the Holy Ghost, as well as to us;

These are just a few, but it sure looks like Our Lord would disagree with you on that Craig.

Hang in there Keri! :thumbsup: You’ve got a lot of brothers and sisters praying for you and your family.
The peace of the Lord be always with you.

Our parish priest mentioned just last night at an RCIA meeting that through PRAYER AND READING SCRIPTURE , amongst other things , we are bringing our hearts in tune with the heart of GOD. :slight_smile: :extrahappy: :dancing: :wave: :gopray: :signofcross: ::blessyou:

I know how your parents feel. Our family has been mostly Catholic for generations. Some on my wife’s side in Ireland starved to death rather than giving in to the English and denying their faith to get food. Then my second son leaves the Catholic Church to become a Baptist. It does hurt and we do consider him foolish, but as an adult he has a right to do what he sees as the correct way to go. It is really hard for parents when their kids “spit” on their inheritance so to speak. But please don’t let that discourage you. It has happened this way for a number of people I know who have come through RCIA in our parish. After a time most families come to accept the decision.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.