Feeling Stuck

:shrug:A little history: I have not received all the sacraments yet. Im baptized catholic & married in the catholic church, but need to attend RCIA to continue my journey.. My children are both baptized catholic. We have not been to church as a family ever - with the exeption of my childrens baptisms! The #1 reason is that my husband & I work every single weekend 12 hour shifts.

About a month ago my daughter said "Mommy we cant go to to church because you work on Sundays" I had been wanting to take them to church for a long time, but Im stuck with my weekend work commitments ~ I was just waiting for a better job opportunity to present itself. Its been 3 years of working weekends & Im growing weary, Im still looking for other jobs! My daughter is reaching out to me to grow in her faith & I cant even take her to church - Im feeling so guilty! I want her faith to grown & blossom at her tender young age. There are other mass times at our local parish, but those masses are during her school hours. Im so torn & am trying to find a job with different hours.

Im feeling so guilty about not being able to attend mass with my kids so I began looking at protestant churches in the area (mainly because they have weeknight activities for youth & offer a lot of ministries for kids & myself.) I havent attended any other churches at this point, just looking. Im feeling guilty no matter what I do!
Im in agreement with the Catholic teachings, so the thought of leaving the church is painful for me! I honestly feel stuck & am looking for options!

Even though I havent been to RCIA, I have been studying the catholic faith for some time! Ive learned a lot, but still need to grow in my prayer life & faith! Can someone post some prayers so I can ask God to help me with this.

Do you have any options to attend a Catholic church in a nearby community that might have more convenient Sunday Mass times? Is it possible you could watch Sunday Mass on television with your family (not the greatest option, surely, but better than nothing). Above all, if you’ve exhausted your options for trying to get to Sunday Mass, I would pray. Start a novena to the Blessed Mother. Her Son wants you in church and to give your faith to your children. He will find a way to make that happen; whether it’s a change in your work schedule, a different job, etc. Good luck and I will pray for you.

simply lift this problem up to God exactly as you have state it here, in these words, and ask Him to show you the way to do your duty by your children.

btw you do not need RCIA, you need a formation program for adult Catholics who need to complete their Christian Initiation with Confirmation and First Communion, and a program for children to prepare for sacraments, and to grow in knowledge of their faith throughout their school years.

Your parish probably has more to offer than you are aware of. Obviously I cannot offer you any way to meet your weekend Mass obligation outside those hours (after about 4 pm Sat to Sunday evening) unless there is Mass offered near your workplace you could attend on your break. But I can and will make sure you have a chance, and your children, to attend the necessary classes to fit your schedule.

attending another church obviously is going to do nothing to solve your current dilemma, how to be a faithful Catholic and good parent, but God can. Since Mary and Joseph are models of good parents, prayer to them is also your ally.

What about going to weekly mass, or do you have work commitments then as well?

What about hiring a babysitter to take your kids to church on Sunday?

I’m so sorry! That’s such a rough situation to be in. My fiance (he’s looking to start RCIA soon) works 12- hour weekend shifts as well, and it’s just so hard for him to get to Mass. He occasionally gets off in time to go to a Vigil Mass on Saturdays (and falls asleep in the pew . . .) I prayed and prayed that he’d at least be able to go to some of the Triduum, and he told me yesterday that they’d given him Easter Sunday off! :slight_smile: Prayers that your situation will improve.

I would second the idea of having a trusted friend or relative take your children to Mass, if you can–maybe grandparents? I saw a lot of grandparents with kids in tow at our Good Friday liturgy yesterday.

I know these are short term solutions but they might help you feel better about the situation.

1. Can someone else take your oldest to Mass on Sundays? She is old enough to be starting CCE and getting prepared for First Communion.

2. Is there anyway you and your husband can work alternate shifts, at least for a while? That way one of you could go with the kids to Mass each weekend.

3. Working 12 hour shifts probably means you only work 4 days in a week. Can you go with the kids to daily Mass on a weekday? It’s not a substitute for Sunday Mass but it might help you as far as participating in thier faith formation.

[LEFT]Thanks for all the responses!

My mother is the only relative near me that is a Catholic. She has offered to take my daughter to mass recently, but she is hesitant to take both of my kids to mass by herself. My son is almost 3 & is a very busy little guy so I understand her concerns. :confused:

Im praying that doors will open for me & my husband soon! Im just very tired of my work schedule & my heart is heavy right now!! Im definetly going to hand this over to the Lord & be prayful that there will be a positive change in one or both of our work schedules.[/LEFT]

Don’t worry about the little guy for now. Let your daughter be a “big girl” and go to Mass with her grandmother. It can be their special time together. That sounds like a good solution for the short term until you have a better work situation. Good luck.

Agree with above. Years ago I worked 12 hour weekends and was not possible to go to church - 7AM to 730PM is not conducive to attending mass. Let your Mom take your daughter on the weekend and that can be their special time together. If you can’t take your daughter to a mass during the week, maybe start some family prayer time - pray a decade of the rosary with your daughter. Does she have a children’s bible - one idea would be to read some scripture every day. School will be out soon so summer should allow some time for mass during the week.

Agree with above. Years ago I worked 12 hour weekends and was not possible to go to church - 7AM to 730PM is not conducive to attending mass. Let your Mom take your daughter on the weekend and that can be their special time together. If you can’t take your daughter to a mass during the week, maybe start some family prayer time - pray a decade of the rosary with your daughter. Does she have a children’s bible - one idea would be to read some scripture every day. School will be out soon so summer should allow some time for mass during the week.

I was going to suggest you have a friend or family member take the kids to Church - and see you already have a volunteer!

You may look for a nearby Parish that has RE/CCD during the week. Ours offers RE on Wednesday evenings. Parents can go upstaris to RCIA (half the people there are practicing Catholics who love the classes and the food :)), kids are down in RE.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.