Feeling tired and hopeless

I went to Mass tonite and I realized how tired I am and how hopeless I feel. I grew up Methodist but I fell away from that and was atheist. Then I found Catholicism and thought that it was the greatest, and I still feel it is. I just feel tired now though. I have been exploring the Church for a year and a half, and the knowledge I have of the Faith now is pretty much what I had 6 months into it. I know its the true church and I know Jesus is our Savior. But I am stuck now. I either have to go through with RCIA and do what God wants me to, and upset my family. Or I appease my family and remain a member of the Methodist church until I am no longer a dependent or till they die. I just feel like God wants me home, but on the other side is my family pulling and with secular society. I was even disappointed with Mass tonite. I am one of those people who needs the visuals, i.e crucifix, Mary, and other aids, but we had Mass in my college’s chapel…which is Presbyterian. Maybe I just need to go all out and get my butt in RCIA.

Any helps or comments?

DU

[quote=snowman10]I went to Mass tonite and I realized how tired I am and how hopeless I feel. I grew up Methodist but I fell away from that and was atheist. Then I found Catholicism and thought that it was the greatest, and I still feel it is. I just feel tired now though. I have been exploring the Church for a year and a half, and the knowledge I have of the Faith now is pretty much what I had 6 months into it. I know its the true church and I know Jesus is our Savior. But I am stuck now. I either have to go through with RCIA and do what God wants me to, and upset my family. Or I appease my family and remain a member of the Methodist church until I am no longer a dependent or till they die. I just feel like God wants me home, but on the other side is my family pulling and with secular society. I was even disappointed with Mass tonite. I am one of those people who needs the visuals, i.e crucifix, Mary, and other aids, but we had Mass in my college’s chapel…which is Presbyterian. Maybe I just need to go all out and get my butt in RCIA.

Any helps or comments?

DU
[/quote]

I think you answered your own question…You need to do what God wants you to do…Get thee to RCIA. God is Our First love, above family and all else. It is never easy, but if we want to follow Him, we must do as He commanded.

Good luck! I will pray for you.

jmj,
Marie

Follow your heart… and “Rome sweet Home” is where it’s at…:heart:

Thanks guys,

I know what I need to do but I still can’t help but question my decision. I know what God wants, or what I am pretty sure he wants, but it is still hard to do. No matter how you approach it. Oh well i guess, i’ll just follow my heart and my God.

DU

[quote=snowman10]Thanks guys,

I know what I need to do but I still can’t help but question my decision. I know what God wants, or what I am pretty sure he wants, but it is still hard to do. No matter how you approach it. Oh well i guess, i’ll just follow my heart and my God.

DU
[/quote]

Hi Snowman,
I’m a convert too and my father thought I was going to break my mother’s heart when she found out…(he was a former Catholic)…
Instead, she was delighted…so don’t be so sure of the reaction…My mom was glad that I would be practicing my love for God whether it was in the Baptist Church or as a Catholic… Don’t agonize…just do what I said… God Bless, I’ll keep you in my prayers.

The only words that keep coming back to me, and the only ones I have for anyone else out there considering the Church and upsetting their family and friends, or anyone one out there who has a worries or fear:

Be Not Afraid

DU

[quote=snowman10]I went to Mass tonite and I realized how tired I am and how hopeless I feel. I grew up Methodist but I fell away from that and was atheist. Then I found Catholicism and thought that it was the greatest, and I still feel it is. I just feel tired now though. I have been exploring the Church for a year and a half, and the knowledge I have of the Faith now is pretty much what I had 6 months into it. I know its the true church and I know Jesus is our Savior. But I am stuck now. I either have to go through with RCIA and do what God wants me to, and upset my family. Or I appease my family and remain a member of the Methodist church until I am no longer a dependent or till they die. I just feel like God wants me home, but on the other side is my family pulling and with secular society. I was even disappointed with Mass tonite.** I am one of those people who needs the visuals,** i.e crucifix, Mary, and other aids, but we had Mass in my college’s chapel…which is Presbyterian. Maybe I just need to go all out and get my butt in RCIA.

Any helps or comments?

DU
[/quote]

Don’t give up! This is a potentially grace-filled time for you.

Quick question, first: when you say that the knowledge you have of the faith is pretty much what you had 6 months into it, do you mean that you want to learn more but have stalled out in the learning process, or do you mean that you don’t know what else there is to learn, or perhaps don’t know *where *else to learn more?

Your profile says that you are a 19 year old college student. Praise God for calling you to Him at 19! But also, recognize that the idea of adding yet another class (for RCIA) to your busy schedule might be part of what’s making you feel tired. Try not to think of RCIA as such…think of it instead as a mini-retreat for yourself each week (or however frequently they meet.)

As for “needing the visuals”…let me share this with you: During my return home to the Church, I was looking for a parish to join that had a good contemporary choir. I thought I needed that in order to “get” the most out of Mass. Somehow I ended up at a super-traditional church: gothic appearance, huge organ, and one cantor. I don’t know why I kept going back; it wasn’t the kind of Mass I was looking for, right? After a few months, I realized that it was because there was no choir that I was focusing more on the words of the liturgy. The simplicity & purity of the liturgy helped me fall in love even more with the Mass.

I share that with you just in case you might ask yourself if you really “need” the visuals, or if this might be a time to focus your attention elsewhere, and give your eyes a rest? Just a thought.

Temptation is real. All kinds of ways “out” will likely present themselves to you. Why should the enemy make it easy for another soul to come into the fullness of the faith? Read through the book of Psalms for inspiration when you feel tired and hopeless…and be revived! I’ll pray for you tonite. Tell us how else we can help you. Bless you!

[quote=snowman10]The only words that keep coming back to me, and the only ones I have for anyone else out there considering the Church and upsetting their family and friends, or anyone one out there who has a worries or fear:

Be Not Afraid

DU
[/quote]

There you go! One of my favorites…more than you know…

My story is a long one and you can read it one of the other threads but I came from a background of complete ignorance of the Church, yet I was a stauch anti-Catholic. I began dating a Catholic girl and I wanted to convert her, but one family member of mine said we wouldn’t work due to her Catholic faith, and God sparked something in my head and I began to research and here I am. This was all after my year as an atheist and my Pap’s death.

I read and read, usually on the internet and by purchasing a few books of conversion stories and apologetics and basic books on the faith, and a some history. Now though, I am convinced of where I should be but I feel like I want to learn more but I am at a stand still. The last book I read did it for me: Unabridged Christianity…by far the ABSOLUTE BEST!!! It really gave me a good understanding with some good visuals.

Now I feel like I have read all I can and it is all repetition. The only books I have left to read that I want to our:

Catholicism and Fundamentalism
Any and all Dave Armstrong books

Thats it…and I only want those becuase everyone says they are really good…even though you could not beat Unabridged Christianity…sorry but I am always pluuging this book

Where do I go from here?

DU

Where do you think God wants you do go from here?
Ask the Holy Spirit for guidance.

Holy Spirit,
Soul of my soul~
Guide me,
Strengthen me,
Console me.
Help me to do your will.
Amen.

Is it time to give your mind a rest from book-gained knowledge?
Is it time for some faith-sharing with other people?

The idea of “growing pains” comes to mind. Often, kids get a little pudgy & gain weight right before they hit a growth spurt and shoot up tall & lean. Maybe you have reached saturation with the amount of reading you need to do for now; maybe it’s time to shoot up tall & grow in faith in other ways.

Thank God for the gift—and it is truly a gift—of faith, and ask Him to increase your faith as you search for answers. You are not alone!

[quote=StephanieC] The idea of “growing pains” comes to mind. Often, kids get a little pudgy & gain weight right before they hit a growth spurt and shoot up tall & lean. Maybe you have reached saturation with the amount of reading you need to do for now; maybe it’s time to shoot up tall & grow in faith in other ways.
[/quote]

Can you name some other ways to shoot up tall and grow in other ways?

In fact, can anyone answer that question?

DU

Frequent reception of the Sacraments (especially the Eucharist & Reconciliation), and being nourished with the Grace that they provide.

If that is not yet possible for you, then I would say, frequent (daily, if possible) Mass attendance.
Preparing for Mass by reviewing the readings ahead of time, and pondering their significance in your life.

Seeking a spiritual director.

Faith-sharing/fellowship with others; sharing what you do know with others & being open to what they (or the Holy Spirit through them) have to share with you.

These are off the top of my head (and at 11:30 pm, a very tired head at that :whacky: ). Bless you, Snowman.

[quote=StephanieC]Where do you think God wants you do go from here?
Ask the Holy Spirit for guidance.

Holy Spirit,
Soul of my soul~
Guide me,
Strengthen me,
Console me.
Help me to do your will.
Amen.

Is it time to give your mind a rest from book-gained knowledge?
Is it time for some faith-sharing with other people?

The idea of “growing pains” comes to mind. Often, kids get a little pudgy & gain weight right before they hit a growth spurt and shoot up tall & lean. Maybe you have reached saturation with the amount of reading you need to do for now; maybe it’s time to shoot up tall & grow in faith in other ways.

Thank God for the gift—and it is truly a gift—of faith, and ask Him to increase your faith as you search for answers. You are not alone!
[/quote]

I would like to second Stephanie’s thoughts. I can’t remember where I heard it, but you will “learn” more in a regular hour on your knees before the Blessed Sacrament than in volumes of books. You’ve read good works it appears. Now, prayer and living your unique cross should come to the forefront as you come Home. Don’t delay, but put one foot in front of the other. :slight_smile: You’re in my prayers. Thanks and God Bless.

StephanieC,

Those are good for 11:30 and I have finals this week so I hear ya.

I guess I should either slow down and take some more time to absorb and become even more versed, but risk becoming more restless and agitated,

OR
I need to stop worrying, trust the Lord, join the Church, have the benefits of the Eucharist and Confession, and then keep learning apologetics, history, and other fun stuff…I wanna be an RCIA instructor one day.

But the one thing I need to do is stop focusing soley on apologetics. I can only be a good apologist if I have a good spiritual life.

Ok, I have a plan…WOOHOO!!!

DU

[quote=snowman10]StephanieC,

But the one thing I need to do is stop focusing soley on apologetics. I can only be a good apologist if I have a good spiritual life.

Ok, I have a plan…WOOHOO!!!

DU
[/quote]

:thumbsup: Now you got it! The way home is actually a short journey. “From the head to the heart.” :heart: :blessyou:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.