Feeling Trapped

Has anyone experienced feeling trapped by one's circumstances for an extended period of time?

Completely! I have been without a job since July and before that I went from March 2007 to this February without a job. I am 27 years old and I feel stuck because I'm still living with my parents. I want, more than anything, to move out on my own and finish my degree. I continue to look for a job and apply but nothing happens. There are times where I feel like my prayers go unanswered and I get angry and upset because of what I would really like to do. :(

[quote="DaughterOfMary6, post:2, topic:220696"]
Completely! I have been without a job since July and before that I went from March 2007 to this February without a job. I am 27 years old and I feel stuck because I'm still living with my parents. I want, more than anything, to move out on my own and finish my degree. I continue to look for a job and apply but nothing happens. There are times where I feel like my prayers go unanswered and I get angry and upset because of what I would really like to do. :(

[/quote]

I'm pretty much in the same situation as you. I've had a job the past two some years, but it's only part time. I'm same age and living with my parents. I've been praying for a job to open up but nothing happens.

I wish you the best in your own endeavors.

I have felt that way before. It took me several months to find a job. I also have to live with family for now. It can be difficult, but do not give up. :heaven:

I'm in the middle of a divorce and moved back in with my parents. I just started school (Masters) again and will not be looking for a job until after I finish school - so I also won't be moving out until I finish school and get a job. So I have just gone from being a married woman and the main bread winner to being a divorcee and making nothing and living with my parents - not to mention the car accident I had nine months ago left me with a head injury I am still getting treated for.

Here is what I have learned. I got sick of hearing offer up your sufferings. I learned that when I can properly learn to love other people and give of myself regardless of the pain I am in and use this cross to help others nd to teach then I am properly uniting myself to him. Better to be the one on the Cross next to Christ that will be meeting Him in Paradise because I am able to reconize Him for who He is than to be the other thief that condemns Him even in the last moments.

i've also felt trapped, not due to any one thing but due to a group of factors. None of them monumental when considered individually, but taken together they've left me feeling... powerless is the only word I can think of, it doesn't describe it accurately, but it's the closest thing I can think of. Thinks such as work and family situations and the demands made upon me by various other situations have contributed. Sometimes i still feel this way.

[quote="Madaglan, post:3, topic:220696"]
I'm pretty much in the same situation as you. I've had a job the past two some years, but it's only part time. I'm same age and living with my parents. I've been praying for a job to open up but nothing happens.

I wish you the best in your own endeavors.

[/quote]

Mine's just the opposite. I have a job, but I'm one of only two programmers, one of whom has more responsibilities, kind of like a lead programmer (no one wants to work for the State anymore, apparently. :shrug: You would think with this economy, people would be wanting any employment). I also live with my parents (disabilities being a part of that and I don't drive - plus the rent around these parts is atrocious! - how does $1000 - $2400 a month suit you?). So, I'm kind of stuck in more ways than one. There hasn't been a programmer hired in 6 years (I was the last).

That makes it a bit difficult in discerning religious life. I sort of feel obligated now since they have trouble finding people. They're literally scraping the bottom of the barrel now. I would feel awkward leaving them with just one programmer (and that person wouldn't be able to take any time off).

I also converted at the age of 31 (been trying for 12 years, but couldn't due to family issues). So, options are kind of limited for me...

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.