Feeling Werid about the choice I made HELP

Hello !
So I told my pastor that I have been going to the catholic church and said I would go back and do alternate weeks for the time being but I left the door open so there not wondering where I am each week and will eventually phase out of that Church (old church) and now I am free to get into the catholic way off life and then tell my old church that I have left in coming months .

To my point : I am Feeling Werid about the choice so since then I have been having like butterflies in my tummy kind of feeling some really deep unsure feeling and other "flies" of happiness and comfort .

So I'm thinking is this god telling me I made the wrong choice About the church?
Is it god telling me it's okay to be a bit unsure ?
Is it the devil trying to make me feel doubtful and unsure ?
Thanks chuck

Chuck, are you converting to the Catholic faith?

I went through this when I converted. I lost all of my evangelical friends, my family disapproved, but I knew I had to go where God was leading me. Every time I attend Mass, I cannot imagine trading away the Eucharist and the beauty of the liturgy for anything. My family got over it, I made new friends and most importantly of all, I knew that I came home.

God bless you!!!

Yh I know maybe I need to relax but it’s like the bad buttflies in your tummy you get when you sin so it’s seems like I’ve made the wrong choice kinda thing or maybe it’s like the unsure and shock that I made that choice and kinda scary now u know ?
But I also get good feelings aswell so I dunno ?

As a Protestant and evangelical, much of my religious experience was tied to my feelings. I would be frightened going to Mass, like I was doing something wicked. I would even get scared buying a rosary!!

We are not. We are part of the Church that Jesus Christ Himself founded. Perfect Love casts out fear. When I felt scared, I turned to the Lord in prayer. My faith experience in the Catholic Church as helped me become a better Christian and much closer to Christ. There are many wonderful fruits in my life now because of my Christian life. We are to be known by the fruit in our lived and since Christ is the vine and we are the branches, anything that brings us closer to Him will bear good fruit. We might not get warm and fuzzy feelings but we do get a faith that withstands life's storms.

I hope this helps!

My only worry about you having told your old pastor about your choice to start more regularly attending Mass is that I feel he (depending on his views of the Catholic Church) may try to get a group of people together to try and talk you out of it and get you to stay in their church.

Good Luck Chuck:thumbsup:

You are bound to feel a little weird/nervous - you are making some important steps.

Prayers for you.

When I decided to return to the Catholic Faith earlier this year I had these butterflies as well, every time I thought about telling my Protestant husband how I was feeling (and I'm feeling them today as he's just told his Baptist parents that I am a practicing Catholic). I also wondered whether I was feeling that pit in my stomach because I was doing the wrong thing but I think it has more to do with the fear of standing alone. Like public speaking and you know everyone in the audience doesn't agree with what you have to say. You know it's right for you but going against the grain is scary and of course you'll doubt yourself at times when everyone else around you does. Pray through it. I'll say a prayer for the release of your butterflies if you'll say one for mine, deal?:hug1:

Good luck to you for RCIA 2012 and welcome...

To leave something you have known your whole life is NOT easy. It takes a great deal of courage to follow through. I am thankful i was brought up Catholic because I fear I would never leave another faith because of my lack of courage and faith.

Trust in God. Read your history and then read the history of the church and where we came from.

[quote="ChrissyB364, post:7, topic:295853"]
When I decided to return to the Catholic Faith earlier this year I had these butterflies as well, every time I thought about telling my Protestant husband how I was feeling (and I'm feeling them today as he's just told his Baptist parents that I am a practicing Catholic). I also wondered whether I was feeling that pit in my stomach because I was doing the wrong thing but I think it has more to do with the fear of standing alone. Like public speaking and you know everyone in the audience doesn't agree with what you have to say. You know it's right for you but going against the grain is scary and of course you'll doubt yourself at times when everyone else around you does. Pray through it. I'll say a prayer for the release of your butterflies if you'll say one for mine, deal?:hug1:

[/quote]

DEAL , Will Do ! :extrahappy:

Thank you for your post it helped lots ! thanks to everyone alse who posted aswell great comments they where brill .

Thanks again , Chuck

[quote="bzkoss236, post:5, topic:295853"]
My only worry about you having told your old pastor about your choice to start more regularly attending Mass is that I feel he (depending on his views of the Catholic Church) may try to get a group of people together to try and talk you out of it and get you to stay in their church.

[/quote]

not all evangelicals work like that....

And actually the people (on either side :)) may be worse than the pastors or priests. He may just be very happy still going to a church and hardly matters to him so long as you're happy and willing to guide when you ask for advice but confident enough to take a step back and let you choose the rest. A good Pastor and by the sounds of it - he is, will always leave the door open for you.

But by the sounds of it you are experiencing a natural turn of emotions when we are starting something new and that is all. Nothing to do with God telling you anything. Just simply you're nervous and its good you can talk to your Pastor as he can help through that and hopefully the Priest will be just as confident and be able to welcome you too and both together will help you feel calm in time for you to explore what it is you really want and it may even be that you want to continue attending both and get that mixture of worship etc and I hope the Catholic Priest will be as encouraging as the Pastor is seemingly is, if that is what you would actually want in time.

[quote="Chuck1, post:1, topic:295853"]
Hello !
So I told my pastor that I have been going to the catholic church and said I would go back and do alternate weeks for the time being but I left the door open so there not wondering where I am each week and will eventually phase out of that Church (old church) and now I am free to get into the catholic way off life and then tell my old church that I have left in coming months .

To my point : I am Feeling Werid about the choice so since then I have been having like butterflies in my tummy kind of feeling some really deep unsure feeling and other "flies" of happiness and comfort .

So I'm thinking is this god telling me I made the wrong choice About the church?
Thanks chuck

[/quote]

I'm a Buddhist, so I have no horse in the Catholic Vs Protestant debate, so I think I can provide an impartial perspective, and here it is: The Bible clearly supports the Catholic Church's positions vis a vis Protestantism. The Bible clearly teaches the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist (John 6), Confession (John 20:23), the anointing of the sick and its power to forgive sin (James 5:14-15), and many other Catholic teachings.

The Bible also rejects the Protestant teaching of Salvation by faith alone very explicitly (James 2:21-25) and also rejects the teaching of Sola Scriptura by mandating the use of Sacred Tradition (1 Corinthians 11:2, 2 Thessalonians 2:15, 2 Thessalonians 3:6).

If you believe in what the Bible teaches, then you should become Catholic.

Growth in faith usually involves a leap. It can bring feelings of doubt and fear.vIt is like jumping out of an airplane and wondering if the Lord has your parachute. He does. Pray and do what you know to be right, the rest will fall into place.

I know that a lot are not like that. I attended a Non-denom Christian ministry group in college (which actually lead me to return to the Church, but that’s another story) and the pastor was a really nice guy and was very supportive of me looking into Catholicism. He says the point of the group wasn’t to make better Baptists or whatever, it was to make better Christians.

And yes, I agree, it is more the congregation that is often more threatening than the pastors (my fiance’s mother is an example of that).

If only I could keep you in my pocket for when I could use someone like you, lol.

Your fear is related to the drastic changes in your life, mainly the disapproval of your friends and family. This is not God’s doing, God’s doing was calling you to the truth in spite of these fears.

[quote="bzkoss236, post:5, topic:295853"]

[/quote]

I had this happen to me when I converted I came from a pentecostal Church of God background..

You are not alone. I would guess that just about all of us who are converts can share the same stories.

I will be praying for your journey. Welcome Home!

[quote="Chuck1, post:1, topic:295853"]
Hello !

Thanks chuck

[/quote]

Wonderful, brave step, chuck!

Do you live with your parents and if you do, do they attend the Protestant church? What has been their reaction?

The butterflies are because you've taken a step closer to changing your life and change is always a little bit scary.

It’s a wonderful journey you are beginning, Chuck!
The butterflies are normal: you have taken a huge and brave step.
Congratulations and welcome!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.