Feelings about leaving lds for catholic

I know anger is not the feeling I should be feeling right now. Me and my family have found the truth and have left the mormon or lds church for our new catholic faith. But anger is what I am currently feeling. I resent every hour I wasted over my life trying to believe the unbelievable. Every dollar that went to build a church that wasn’t Gods. Every time I didn’t listen to people around me who where just trying to help me find the truth. I am angry that I was so stupid.

I am eternally grateful for the love Christ has shown me by leading me to the truth. I am grateful for the love of my husband and family. I am grateful that I found out the truth while my children are still young enough to be molded.

I am scared because this is new and I have so much to learn. I am scared because there is big holes in my life where mormonism used to be that I need to fill so they don’t get filled by things that would be hurtful. I am even scared that I wont find any new friends at my new parish.

I am impatient because I can barely stand to wait to become one with Christ in truth. I am impatient because I have so much to learn and my brain only works so fast.

I am sad because I my parents and brother, and sister are still lost. I am sad for all the people I see who truely believe in christ but are mislead.

Is it any wonder than I am emotionaly exausted at times. :wink:

Coming into the Church can cause all sorts of feelings. I think the answer is prayer.

The time you have spent in lds is now gone, you now have an opportunity to grow in Catholicism. Faith is a journey, it takes time, learn and grow in this time.

What are the holes that you feel are left? I am sure that Catholicism will fill them, perhaps I could help you if you give me some idea of what you feel is missing.

When you go to your new parish if they have a gathering after (usually coffee and donuts) go, I am sure you will meet new friends.

You are in my prayers.

Tracy

[quote=Jodi]I know anger is not the feeling I should be feeling right now. Me and my family have found the truth and have left the mormon or lds church for our new catholic faith. But anger is what I am currently feeling. I resent every hour I wasted over my life trying to believe the unbelievable. Every dollar that went to build a church that wasn’t Gods. Every time I didn’t listen to people around me who where just trying to help me find the truth. I am angry that I was so stupid.

I am eternally grateful for the love Christ has shown me by leading me to the truth. I am grateful for the love of my husband and family. I am grateful that I found out the truth while my children are still young enough to be molded.

I am scared because this is new and I have so much to learn. I am scared because there is big holes in my life where mormonism used to be that I need to fill so they don’t get filled by things that would be hurtful. I am even scared that I wont find any new friends at my new parish.

I am impatient because I can barely stand to wait to become one with Christ in truth. I am impatient because I have so much to learn and my brain only works so fast.

I am sad because I my parents and brother, and sister are still lost. I am sad for all the people I see who truely believe in christ but are mislead.

[/quote]

Jodi,

Congratulations on leaving the LDS! Unfortunately, you’ve decided to join the CC which is very similar to the LDS with regards to its many false teachings. I’m just curious, how long had you been out of the LDS before you decided to join the CC? Coming out of a cult can be a very emotionally exhausting experience and people tend to be very vulnerable. You should give yourself some time before jumping right into something else.
“Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.” Matthew 11:28

God bless,
Stingray

[quote=Stingray]Jodi,

Congratulations on leaving the LDS! Unfortunately, you’ve decided to join the CC which is very similar to the LDS with regards to its many false teachings. I’m just curious, how long had you been out of the LDS before you decided to join the CC? Coming out of a cult can be a very emotionally exhausting experience and people tend to be very vulnerable. You should give yourself some time before jumping right into something else.

“Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.” Matthew 11:28

God bless,
Stingray
[/quote]

Stingray,

While I admire your intent, I don’t think this is the proper place to sling false statements regarding the Catholic Church.

Jodi has already left a church that put itself before the historical Church that Christ personally established. You should come home, too.

Peace

Stingray: Perhaps you should back up your claims that there are ‘many false teachings’ in the Catholic Church. As you may be aware, many of us here are former Protestants ourselves. We understand your perspective…but for useful dialogue, all statements should be backed up. I hope you weren’t suggesting that the LDS and the Catholic Church share in similar errors. Perhaps, from your perspective, they are both in error…but surely our errors (if the Catholic Church indeed is in error) are very different from each other. Mormonism, from a Protestant perspective, is MUCH farther off from Protestantism (regardless of what sort of Protestant you are) than Catholicism. You and I share the concept of Christ’s once and for all atonement on the cross, the Trinity, the nature of Christ, etc…Mormonism differs on all of these essential issues.

Jodi,

I understand what you are going through, and I can tell you that it gets better in time…I wasted 5 years of my life being a Cafiteria catholic picking and choosing what I wanted to belive and simply not beliveing at all, and I regret it greatly. It will get better. Have Faith in God!

PS I am 19 so 5 years is a long time for me…

and pay no attention to stingray, he has been all over making comments about Catholics and not backing up these with evidence, just more smokescreens.

Jodi
Have you heard the serenity prayer?

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change:
Courage to change the things I can:
and the wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time:
Enjoying one moment at a time:
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace:
Taking, as He did, this sinful world as it is,
not as I would have it:
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will:
Tat I will be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the Next

st julie

Mister stingray:

Strike one.

Please read the rules of the forum. Coming to the forums as a predator is a no-no.

Moderators take note.

[quote=Jodi]I know anger is not the feeling I should be feeling right now. Me and my family have found the truth and have left the mormon or lds church for our new catholic faith. But anger is what I am currently feeling. I resent every hour I wasted over my life trying to believe the unbelievable. Every dollar that went to build a church that wasn’t Gods. Every time I didn’t listen to people around me who where just trying to help me find the truth. I am angry that I was so stupid.
[/quote]

Welcome home Jodi:dancing: Everyone has regrets over the past but it doesn’t benefit you to dwell upon them until you become angry. Are you now in RCIA? Many of your questions can be answered there as well as many friendships established. Take care and God bless.

Jodi,

Welcome home! How blessed you, your husband and children are to have found a path to the fullness of truth that is our beautiful Catholic faith. Pray that your friends and other family members will see your example as a sign that God is asking them to come home as well.

There is a framed picture of G.K. Chesteron with one of his quotes on my bedroom wall that I read every time I become afraid, discouraged, or feel that my faith is threatened. Just in case you don’t know who Chesteron is, he was one of the greatest Catholic apologetics of the 20th century. Many call him the ‘aspostle of common sense’.

It took a few readings for me to fully understand what he was trying to say in the quote below, but it makes great sense to me now. I believe he is trying to say that our existence is an adventure, it will be riddled with danger & temptation around every corner. But this is a chance for us to go into battle for our lives, for truth, for what we believe in, for our salvation. We should be willing to die for those beliefs. Sure it will be scary, but never back down from defending the truth, wear God’s truth as a shield to protect you in the battle.

Wiser members on this board can correct me or elaborate on this quote, I would love to hear others thoughts.

Here it is:

“We are to regard existence as a raid or great adventure; it is to be judged, therefore, not by what calamities it encounters, but by what flag it follows and what high town it assaults.
The most dangerous thing in the world is to be alive; one is always in danger of one’s life.
But anyone who shrinks from that is a traitor to the great scheme and experiment of being.”-G.K. Chesteron

God Bless you as you begin your adventure,
M:)

[quote=Stingray]Jodi,

Congratulations on leaving the LDS! Unfortunately, you’ve decided to join the CC which is very similar to the LDS with regards to its many false teachings. I’m just curious, how long had you been out of the LDS before you decided to join the CC? Coming out of a cult can be a very emotionally exhausting experience and people tend to be very vulnerable. You should give yourself some time before jumping right into something else. “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.” Matthew 11:28

God bless,
Stingray
[/quote]

I know this is probably a waste of time, but can you name some of the Catholic churches false teachings?

I have come home to the fullness of faith too and know it does feel like you have wasted time being outside the Church. God has blessed me though and I feel sometimes even though it seems like I wasted a lot of time outside the Church, I have a perspective I can share with other people outside the Church. Just sharing your testimony, can help other people outside and inside the Church.

Stingray,
If you are going to make negative comments please back it up, if you have a negative opinion you should start a new thread and see if it has any weight to it. Many times people have problems with what they think the Catholic Church teaches, not what it really teaches and why.

WELCOME home Jodi!!
Just think… of the worst alternative…that you never found the truth and stayed with the LDS.
Join the RCIA and it will help you obtain a deeper appreciation for the Catholic faith and you will make new friends, and it’s a great way to learn more about church history.
Have you read “Lead Kindly Light” by thomas Howard, it’s about his conversion and how he overcame the same pro you have expierenced.
God Bless!

Jodi!!

You’ve likely heard it before, but here we go:

Yesterday is HISTORY
Tomorrow is MYSTERY (where God is, mystery is)
Today is a gift. That’s why we call it the PRESENT.

Accept your beautiful gift with a :slight_smile: Jodi!!

[quote=adnauseum]Mister stingray:

Strike one.

Please read the rules of the forum. Coming to the forums as a predator is a no-no.

Moderators take note.
[/quote]

What specifically about my post did you perceive as being predatory?

[quote=twf]Stingray: Perhaps you should back up your claims that there are ‘many false teachings’ in the Catholic Church. As you may be aware, many of us here are former Protestants ourselves. We understand your perspective…but for useful dialogue, all statements should be backed up. I hope you weren’t suggesting that the LDS and the Catholic Church share in similar errors. Perhaps, from your perspective, they are both in error…but surely our errors (if the Catholic Church indeed is in error) are very different from each other. Mormonism, from a Protestant perspective, is MUCH farther off from Protestantism (regardless of what sort of Protestant you are) than Catholicism. You and I share the concept of Christ’s once and for all atonement on the cross, the Trinity, the nature of Christ, etc…Mormonism differs on all of these essential issues.
[/quote]

I wasn’t attempting to debate, but to give some friendly advice. Pehaps the poster would have responded by asking me what those false teachings are and I would have kindly responded, but I see no reason to lay everything out on the line in giving a simple bit of advice.

God bless,
Stingray :slight_smile:

[quote=Stingray]… I see no reason to lay everything out on the line in giving a simple bit of advice.

God bless,
Stingray :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Mister Stingray,

If you claim to speak the “truth” then you should be willing to lay EVERYTHING out on the line. After all, the real issue is one’s salvation & God’s truth…right??? There is nothing “simple” about that my friend.

Peace be with you,
Monica

[/quote]

God has shown you the truth in the Catholic Church. I was a protestant my whole life for many years before he showed me. God will fill all of those voids with his love through the Eucharist. I understand how emotionaly draining a conversion can be. Before you know it you will feel better than ever in the true Church of Christ. Welcome Home :slight_smile:

-D

Stingray,

Before you make judgements on the teachings of the Catholic Church, you must look into what the Church really teaches. You have a lot of things to learn, so don’t judge hastily. If you think you are in the right religion, I suggest you investigate its origins first, then, before making judgements about the Catholic Church, make an in-depth search of what we believe.

As it is right now, yours is just based on hearsay and false accusations. Anyways, Paul himself said: The Church is the pillar and foundation of truth (1 Timothy 3:15)–not the bible.

Pio

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.