Feelings on the New Translation of the Roman Missal?

Hello, I am a college student majoring in Theology. I have been reading the various threads on this website for the past few weeks now, so I decided to make my own account

I am currently interested in knowing what fellow Catholics believe about the new translation of the Roman Catholic Missal or of the prayers used at mass. (Personally, I’m not a very big fan of the new translation.) I have thus chosen to write about this issue and to assess contemporary attitudes and understandings about Roman Catholic liturgy for my final Theology paper.

Can you please take my quick survey? My paper is due very soon, so I would very much appreciate if you could take my survey. In response I can let you read my finished paper, if you’d like.

Here is the link to the survey: surveymonkey.com/s/HHHYMPN

Thank you so much. I appreciate your help!!! God bless.

[quote="alc_24, post:1, topic:308795"]
Hello, I am a college student majoring in Theology. I have been reading the various threads on this website for the past few weeks now, so I decided to make my own account

I am currently interested in knowing what fellow Catholics believe about the new translation of the Roman Catholic Missal or of the prayers used at mass. (Personally, I'm not a very big fan of the new translation.) I have thus chosen to write about this issue and to assess contemporary attitudes and understandings about Roman Catholic liturgy for my final Theology paper.

Can you please take my quick survey? My paper is due very soon, so I would very much appreciate if you could take my survey. In response I can let you read my finished paper, if you'd like.

Here is the link to the survey: surveymonkey.com/s/HHHYMPN

Thank you so much. I appreciate your help!!! God bless.

[/quote]

It's a more authentic translation of the prayers and responses from the Latin into English. What's not to love? The only thing better are TLMs. :thumbsup:

[quote="Tietjen, post:2, topic:308795"]
It's a more authentic translation of the prayers and responses from the Latin into English. What's not to love?

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

[quote="Tietjen, post:2, topic:308795"]
It's a more authentic translation of the prayers and responses from the Latin into English. What's not to love? The only thing better are TLMs. :thumbsup:

[/quote]

Concur. The old English translation had lots of parts that were just plain wrong. Very glad to see them corrected.

Now my dream would be for the 1970 Missal to be replaced with a version of the 1962 Missal; all propers literally translated into the vernacular, the ordinary of the Mass in the Latin, done as a dialogue Mass.

God Bless

I took your survey and answered the questions as best I could. I especially liked the last question. I wanted to elabore a little since my experience was not an option

. I have heard many people, even still today, "accidentally" revert to the previous translation ESPECIALLY during the response, "And with your Spirit." I have never seen anyone in my parish (and it's a fairly traditional parish) ever give someone even a glance for doing so. You may see a small smirk or smile on the people around them, but in any instance I have seen, it was more a genuine humility and humorous smile more than a judgemental smirk. I think all of us did it at some point. Even those of us that studied, prepared, and memorized. Sometimes you hear a priest say, "The Lord be with you," and without thinking you revert to, "And also with you." Or, as I hear more often in my parish, "And also with your spirit." :)

I would be very interested to see the results of your survey and your paper if you are willing to share it with us. I think the results would be interesting.

Thanks!

This translation is what the first one should have been. :)

In any case, I think it's rather pointless to wring our hands at whatever aspects we might not be comfortable with. It is done.

The Church spent many years getting this translation right. Consider that the 3rd edition of the Roman Missal in Latin came out back in 2000. It took 11 years to go through the process. Much care was taken in getting the words right, getting approval from the bishops and the Holy See, etc., etc. This is just the type of process laid out in Sacrosanctum Concilium. We don't just change things willy nilly because we feel like it.

Our effort is far better spent reflecting on how we can think with the mind of the Church and embrace even those aspects we do not yet fully understand or appreciate. It's not as though they're going to change the words back because enough people are complaining about it.

I’d argue that the only things better are the OF Mass in Latin or the TLM. They do have OF Masses in Latin you know!

The French missal hasn’t been retranslated. Out of the box it was much more accurate than the original ICEL translation other than a few minor issues, one of which was recently corrected.

[quote="OraLabora, post:7, topic:308795"]
I'd argue that the only things better are the OF Mass in Latin or the TLM. They do have OF Masses in Latin you know!

[/quote]

I'm sure that I am showing my ignorance so please forgive me but what is the OF Mass? :blush:

It’s just shorthand:

OF = Ordinary Form (AKA “Novus Ordo Mass”, “Mass of Paul VI”, “New Mass”, etc., etc.)

Doesn't matter to me.

As one poster put it, English is casual enough.

[quote="Joe_5859, post:6, topic:308795"]
This translation is what the first one should have been. :)

[/quote]

But most Latin teachers would have failed the old and new translators.

Dominus Vobiscum = Lord (IS) with you. There is no subjunctive. ;)

Much thanks!

To OraLabora: Yes, I do know that the Novus Ordo Mass can be said in Latin as well. :thumbsup:

Here are thoughts on the New Translation from 2 Filipino Jesuits:

phjesuits.org/features/1388-can-change-be-good

lst.edu/academics/landas-archives/421-the-new-translation-of-the-roman-missal-and-liturgical-renewal-t-ofrasio-sj

I think too absolutely literal does not work, as it tends to ignore real differences in tenses. The previous translation was too dynamic for my taste. I really like the current one. It is a good balance, as literal as it can be without making nonsense of English.

The new is a huge improvement over the previous imo.

[quote="pnewton, post:14, topic:308795"]
I think too absolutely literal does not work, as it tends to ignore real differences in tenses. The previous translation was too dynamic for my taste. I really like the current one. It is a good balance, as literal as it can be without making nonsense of English.

[/quote]

:thumbsup:This (from an English teacher).

I took the survey but felt the need to say more.

Overall I like the new translation. I think there are places where the wording
feels awkward. But I'm getting over it.

Unlike some younger people I don't have any special attachment to the older translation. I am at just the right age that I only have vague memories of Mass in Latin but I do very much remember the 1964/1965 English translation that was used in the United States prior to the translation used for 40 years.

The one spoken part of the newest translation that does give me trouble is:

Lord, I am not worthy that you should *enter *under my roof,
but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.

This was the one part of the 1969/1970 translation that always bothered me. As a young child I guess I felt some sort of connection to the Roman centurion who asked Jesus to heal his sick servant but didn't want Jesus to come to his home and I over the years I have often thought of him as we prayed this during Mass. But when the translation became "Lord I am not worthy to receive you" the centurion was all but forgotten by most people.

I have no trouble *singing *the latest translation. However I can't seem to *speak *it. I still want to say,

Lord I am not worth that you should *come *under my roof.

Speak but the word and my soul shall be healed.

“I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof...” - theology overload?

why must we have "feelings" about the Mass translation?

[quote="1ke, post:18, topic:308795"]
why must we have "feelings" about the Mass translation?

[/quote]

You don't have to *have *any particular feeling about it if you do not want.

[quote="bilop, post:4, topic:308795"]
Concur. The old English translation had lots of parts that were just plain wrong. Very glad to see them corrected.

Now my dream would be for the 1970 Missal to be replaced with a version of the 1962 Missal; all propers literally translated into the vernacular, the ordinary of the Mass in the Latin, done as a dialogue Mass.

God Bless

[/quote]

ditto. if you look at a comparison of the ash wednesday prayers, entire paragraphs are excluded! It's asinine. It's even aseleven, if you ask me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.