Feinstein: CIA searched Intelligence Committee computers

Washington Post:

Feinstein: CIA searched Intelligence Committee computers

A behind-the-scenes battle between the CIA and Congress erupted in public Tuesday as the head of the Senate Intelligence Committee accused the agency of breaking laws and breaching constitutional principles in an alleged effort to undermine the panel’s multi-year investigation of a controversial interrogation program.

Chairman Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) accused the CIA of *secretly removing documents, searching computers used by the committee and attempting to intimidate congressional investigators by requesting an FBI inquiry of their conduct — charges that CIA Director John Brennan disputed within hours of her appearance on the Senate floor.

Feinstein described the escalating conflict as a “defining moment” for Congress’s role in overseeing the nation’s intelligence agencies and cited “grave concerns” that the CIA had “violated the separation-of-powers principles embodied in the United States Constitution.”

Brennan fired back during a previously scheduled speech in Washington, saying that “when the facts come out on this, I think a lot of people who are claiming that there has been this tremendous sort of spying and monitoring and hacking will be proved wrong.”

Hey, what’s sauce for citizens is sauce of senators. I’m amused that Sen. Feinstein is shocked, shocked! that the CIA would spy on Congress.

Good! Congress has deteriorated into a pack of political hacks, concerned only with garnering votes and consolidating power for their own parties. They pass oppressive laws, restrict individual rights, and waste time making self serving speeches, while the economy crumbles.

Of course, most people (like sheep) are coerced into voting for these cruds, based on false promises.

She’s also for gun bans while she keeps one for her own protection.

Hmm . . . looks like someone at CIA knows who the enemy is.

(Yes, I know; that was naughty.)

Yes, it was. But . . . :smiley:

What’s good for the goose… :smiley:

A national spy agency, answerable to no one, using their power for their own purposes. Gee, what could go wrong with that??? :stuck_out_tongue:

A senator came out and said that requests for explanation about specific details of the breach were left unanswered or brushed aside with vague answers.

If true, would certainly start to give credibility to this claim. Sounds like the CIA is indeed tapping into the very same committee that is supposed to be overseeing it! :eek:

It’s worth noting that the CIA wasn’t monitoring the Senator’s own personal computers or even those belonging to her office or that of other members of the committee. These were computers provided by the CIA to allow the Senators access to some information without breaching the security of the entire CIA system. The CIA was monitoring its own computers.

Unfortunately, the question being left unanswered is why would the CIA target the committee (and possibly Congress, in general) if not to control these individuals? That would mean, would it not, that the CIA has its own agenda, one not necessarily in line with the Constitution?

Does she really? If so, that’s priceless.

Really? I hadn’t heard that. That sounds more reasonable, unless there was some expectation that they wouldn’t be monitored.

I’m not sure about that. What I heard on NPR this morning was that these were computers containing the documents at a secure location in Virginia, but the report didn’t say who actually supplied the physical computers. I would have to see documentation on that. We do know that there are some documents that the CIA supplied, and then later went in and deleted.

I"m entirely opposed to torture, and it’s stunning that the CIA likes torture. That indicates substantial problems for our country.

Yeah, the depictions of torture in Zero Dark Thirty made my skin crawl.

Flashback: Sen. Dianne Feinstein Has Conceal Carry Permit Another example of hypocrisy is how Democrat politicians send their kids to the best private schools while they insist that everyone else send their kids to a public school. And yet another example is how they have a lot of multimillionaires and billionaires sitting at the top in their leadership while saying that they are the party that represents the poor. The prime example is Bill Gates, a hardline Democrat party supporter and owner of NBC and MSNBC, who Forbes says is the second wealthiest man on the planet.

CIA’s computer network, using CIA drives in a CIA reading room. The committee members may have been using their own laptops but the drive with the docs was CIA’s.

In letters to Feinstein’s committee, Mr. Panetta promised the agency would provide a “stand-alone computer system” with a “network drive segregated from CIA networks” at a secure facility in northern Virginia, Feinstein said in her speech Tuesday on the Senate floor.

Under the agreement, “the CIA established a secure electronic reading room at an Agency facility where designated SSCI personnel could review these highly classified materials,” writes Neal Higgins, director of the CIA’s office of congressional affairs, in a legal declaration responding to a lawsuit by the American Civil Liberties Union.

In his statement, Mr. Higgins describes how the CIA “created a segregated network share drive at this facility that allowed Members of the Committee and staffers to prepare and store their work product, including draft versions of the SSCI Report, in a secure environment.”

csmonitor.com/USA/DC-Decoder/2014/0312/Deleted-CIA-files-Did-the-Senate-committee-err-in-trusting-the-agency-video

Thanks.

When I first heard of this, I was reminded of the old country song that goes “I looked back to see if she was lookin’ back at me as I was lookin’ back to see if she was lookin’ back at me” and so on. :slight_smile:

The chickens have come home to roost, and now we’re supposed to believe Sen Feinstein is shocked??:eek:

She’s allowed the CIA to use “enhanced interrogation techniques” and all that goes with it, and she’s surprised when they turn on her?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.