Fellow Californian's: IMPORTANT law changes while driving

I just got this from my husband and his Chief at work. He’s Navy. They are typically really good about taking care of us and informing us of law changes at our local bases. Anyway, I want to pass this onto you, especially the cellular phone info:

Subject: New California Laws effective 7/1/07

New California Laws effective 7/1/07

New Driving Fines for 2007

1. Carpool lane - 1st time $1068.50 starting7/1/07 (The $271 posted on
    the highway is old). Don’t do it again because 2nd time is going to be
    double. 3rd time triple, and 4th time license suspended.

2. Incorrect lane change - $380. Don’t cross the lane on solid lines or
    intersections.

3. Block intersection - $485

4. Driving on the shoulder - $450

5. Cell phone use in the construction zone. - Double fine as of
    07/01/07.
    Cell phone use must be “hands free” while driving.

6. Passengers over 18 not in their seatbelts - both passengers and
    drivers get tickets .

7. Speeders can only drive 3 miles above the limit.

8. DUI = JAIL (Stays on your driving record for 10 years!)

9. As of 07/01/07 cell phone use must be “hands free” while driving.
    Ticket is $285. They will be looking for this like crazy - easy money
    for police department.

Sorry all, my husband came back today and said it was hoax. Certain ahem Chiefs might be in bit of trouble for circulating it. I apologize.

We recently moved back to CA and with all the fee’s and costs it didn’t seem that shocking to me.

It didn’t seem that shocking to me either (except the huge fines for carpool lane and only later getting license suspended). If you break the law, you can get fined, and that’s fine with me! If you know you’re not supposed to be in the carpool lane, what are you doing in there anyway? Same for talking on the cell phone. On second thought, maybe they *should *institute those fines :slight_smile:

(this comes from a person who’s never had a ticket, can you tell? My DH would probably disagree with me :D)

Only 3 miles above the speed limit—errrgggh.:rolleyes:

I need to find another state.

Just kidding. I live in TX.:wink:

ok if our speed limit is 92 ( fast as car will go then we wont get a ticket till 96 (assumeing we are going down a steep hill) ? lol
the law didnt say legal speed limit lol

and yes i relize this is a hoax just having some fun

In Montgomery County, MD, the fine for littering is $1000. Yes, one thousand dollars. Considering this, the fines in the note seem quite reasonable! Anything to stop people from driving on the shoulder of the interstate…

the shoulder??? thats a great passing lane for when them people decide to drive side by side at 25 mph grrrr that grinds me when they do that happens daily here and udually it almost always onvolves one driver from Indiana, I think we need to set up a state line post and check Indiana resdiants when they cross if they dont know how to drive send them home…

P.S. sorry to pick on Indiana but they seem to clog our roads up in the summer and I havnt seen one this year or last that could actually drive posted speed limits or turn properly,

Yes I suffer from road rage when its tourist season…

Be patient and give them a little time to adjust to something that isn’t big and green with John Deere on the side.

rofl that could be true…

I had a fellow from Indiana a few years ago smash a deer in front of my house, car was damaged and when the police got there we had it pretty much dravable for him again, he told the police he not sure what happened but that “big brown thing” jumped in front of his car, its the wildlife we have they have no clue what it is rofl…

" oh my gosh a leaf!!!"

lol

I am in Northern MI not a big farming area unless farming Christmas trees…

I sure hope you are being facetious!! Indiana has plenty of farming, wildlife and trees. MI is pretty close to Gary, which I’ve driven through and wouldn’t go back eep.

I will admit that I get confused as to the driving habits of some of the residents of this state, but then again I can drive through Chicago just fine. Scares me a little, but I didn’t die. j/k

Don’t go throwing all the Hoosiers (Didn’t want to say Indianains…lol) into the same category. :thumbsup:

I dont blame you anywhere near Gary Indiana is bad you can even see the sludge line in Lake Mi around that area, as far as what Michigan is like in that area it is bad the pollution from Gary violates a lot of areas as far as 75 miles away in all directions,
I live in Northern MI, most of the smell here is from Pine trees and lakes and rivers… also for the record I wasnt putting down the State of Indiana just the way they teach drivers how to drive rofl.
they seem to think that because they are away from the city it gives them the right to drive 25 in a 55 zone and when someone goes to pass them speed up like a nut case almost trying to cause a headon car accident.personally I would love to see MI pass a law stating that anyone from Indiana has to use buses or cabs and is not allowed to drive within the state road system.
But they will never do that darn it.I do know our police are pretty sick of them and are writing holding up traffic tickets now because of all the complaints so thats a plus just hope the fines are up there as well maybe can reduce some taxes lol

Oh I want to add a few years ago I went threu Indiana pretty much from north to south going to Memphis mid to southern Indiana was really nice.

closed #12

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.