Fellow Catholics: Do you care whether Protestants Convert?

As a former Protestant, my biggest concern for our fellow protestants is that they are missing so much of Christ’s glory and grace by staying away from the church.

I used to think of the Catholic Church as that other big church down the road. Yes, I knew historically it was the original Church, I believed the historical succession of Popes, even knew that they had given us the Bible, but the teachings I heard about the inquisition, the pre reformation Church, the problems through the ages, the more I thought we were justified in protesting against, and separating ourselves from the Catholic Church.

Now that I embrace the full teaching and traditions of the Church along with the FULL reading of ALL the words in the Bible, I can only feel sorry for those who are simply nibbling at the buffet, and not sitting down to the whole meal. It is our JOB to teach them the truth. It’s a hard job, but we can do it.

“forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us…” then get to work!

Four (4) off topic posts removed and this is a reminder to stay on topic.
" Do you care whether Protestants Convert?"

Jesus prayed that we be united and I think what was very clear in John 17. I love watching the Journey Home, and I am humbled to hear these converts embrace their Protestantism, and say thanks to that uproot I am a better Catholic. But not only do they bring that love, but they are also great missionaries for the Church. They are able to show the beauty to others that sometimes that as a Cradle Catholic we cant do.

Yes, really. Protestants are in a seriously deficient position as regards salvation.

They cannot acquire indulgences for themselves while alive.

I don’t care whether Protestants convert. Conversion is up to God. I care whether they find the truth. The truth will lead them to where God wants them to be.

Evangelization has to be done in a spirit of humility where two imperfect human beings talk to each other as such, acknowledging that neither is perfect. That’s how St. Anthony of Padua and St. Francis converted tens of thousands, by acknowledging that they don’t have all the answers, treating other human beings with dignity and respect and inviting others as friends to “Taste and see the goodness of the Lord.”

Engaging another with an agenda to convert is the pinnacle of arrogance - assuming to do God’s job.

-Tim-

Absolutely I care that protestants convert because Jesus cares. Jesus Christ and His Church, the Catholic Church are One and the Same and He desires all to come to the fullness of Truth.

I am truly sorry for you.

I always find it interesting when people sympathize with me out of spite.

Reading some of the responses here, I have to wonder about something.

One kind of troll behavior on political site comments is to pose…say a far lefty poses as a conservative on a conservative site and posts racist and bigoted rants…to try to discredit their opposition.

Do anti-Catholic people pose as Catholics here with the same motive?

It’s not “spite”.
It’s pity.

So now I’m anti-Catholic? What else are you able to divine about me?

I always find it interesting when people pity me out of spite.

My post was a general question, not specific to you.
But I admit, your posts were the most recent example that made me wonder whether some of the posts were for real.
I have no idea who or what you are…don’t really care… and not divining anything. It was a simple observation…I find the sentiments you posted to be noxious (and not in line with catholic teaching either)…but it seems you thought the shoe fit.

It came directly after my reply to you, thus why I took it as directed to me.

Which of my opinions is contrary to Catholic teaching?

I voted for the combo option–basically for all the high priority ones. God desires all men to be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth (sometimes we forget the second part of that verse). Our Lord has given the Church the mission of teaching all people the truth and incorporating them into His Mystical Body for their salvation. That is the Church’s highest priority, spreading true faith, hope, and charity, by preaching and good example, for the salvation of souls.

I acknowledge that those Protestants in good faith may indeed be saved if they persevere to the end in faith and charity–in grace–but Jesus didn’t make this distinction when giving His orders. He did not say judge who is in good faith and who is not, and only seek the conversions of those in bad faith. In fact, He forbade us from making that judgment. We are to seek the conversion and unity of all for the good of their salvation. Furthermore, the unity of all Christians will be a more credible sign that will lead to the conversion of more non-Christians as well. It would also allows us to better infuse the Christian spirit into the temporal order–our society’s laws, structures, and institutions. This too will lead to more souls being saved.

The notion that “very few protestants” can achieve salvation (because they can’t get indulgences) or that they have to be more perfect that catholics to do so is beyond anything the Church presumes to teach.

Further, you are making judgments that we are told that only God should make.

May I suggest you read the documents of Vatican II, where the Church’s attitude toward those of other religions is very nicely outlined.

It is referring to protestants being in an imperfect union. The CCC says protestants may be saved. Too many believe that protestants don’t need evangelizing.

I can’t help it if you don’t know how to read. That it is very difficult for them to be saved is not because of the lack of indulgences.
I find it telling that you can’t cite any teaching of the Church I’m contradicting, in other words I’m only contradicting your absurd opinion.

Perhaps you should read them.

These are what I READ (direct quotes from YOU):

*"Protestants are in a seriously deficient position as regards salvation.
**They cannot acquire indulgences *for themselves while alive."
And:

*"Even assuming he is invincibly ignorant, a Protestant’s salvation, is dependent on either never committing a mortal sin, or on having perfect contrition, something even Catholics rarely have. And they must do this with only two sacraments in their life.

And, even for those few Protestants who are saved, they must spend who knows how long in purgatory, since they lack access to indulgences."*

As for contradicting Church teaching, I told you how…did you read?
For starters, making judgments only God should make, and the fact that these notions are entirely out of line with the documents of Vatican II, which assert clearly that we do not make such judgments about protestants or any other faith.

What I reacted to went WAY beyond simply being an imperfect union among Christians.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.