Fellow Dog Owners......I need some assistance please

I have a 6 month old, recently neutered, German Shorthaired Pointer named Leo, who is a real joy, GREAT with the kids, affectionate and loyal. We love him to death and he is a great addition to the family. We got him when he was 11 weeks old so he has been growing up with us and we are having a ton of fun with him.

The problem is he’s jumpy. Like, really really jumpy. I know this is normal puppy excitement and just his way of greeting people, but he is getting BIG and he is very strong, and I’m afraid he’s going to knock someone over:eek: I have people coming into my house daily because my son is going through a therapy program at home, and I just cannot find a way to get him to not jump.

I have tried having him on a leash around the house, with a regular collar, choker, and a head collar, and trying to control him when people come in. He still is able to jump and the choker nor the head collar seem to phase him one bit.

I’ve tried just having people totally ignore him when they come in an not give him even a glance until he calms down, then giving a treat. This didn’t really motivate him either, as he’s not very food motivated:shrug:

I’ve tried distracting him with toys, food, you name it, and it just doesn’t phase him. So, lately I have had to just have him in his crate when people come in and out which means he spends too much time in there for my liking, plus he’s still not learning how to behave properly.

Does anyone have a training tip, or a gadget recommendation for me? I’m a novice with puppies so I’m trying my best here but I’m no dog whisperer.:stuck_out_tongue: I’m sure there have to be some veteran doggie owners out there that can help me.:confused: I hope??

Dog Whisperer - get one of his books.

Also, if you go to your local mega-pet store (petsco, petsmart, etc.) you can sign up for obedience classes. They are the best thing you can do for your dog. They will cover these issues, basic commands, etc.

The simple answer, when he jumps up, say a stern NO and turn your back to him. Repeat. Do not ever give him ANY attention when he jumps up. He will learn fast!

I had a dog trainer come out for my little Cavalier and she told me when the dog jumped on people to shake a coffee can filled with coins or nails. The noise is supposed to scare the dog and they will associate the noise with jumping. Keep the can by the door so you are ready for it.
I have to be honest, my little Cavalier is small and just so cute, it seemed mean to do it because it really scared her, so I didn’t do it. She never learned, I am sure people are still offended when she jumps all over when she comes in, but being so small and cute, most people don’t care. She is getting older and slowing down, so she tends not to do it as much anyway.

**First off I’d suggest a GOOD obedience class. Ask around your area and check websites. We found a great one here run by a man who actually travels overseas to help train police and other work dogs.

But for something you can do RIGHT NOW, work with your pooch one on one. Get him in situations where he is bound to jump up on you and raise your knee and catch him in the chest with a firm NO! Have his favorite treat ready and tell him to sit. Once he sits, give him a small treat.

This was what worked for me when I had a rapidly growing Bouvier puppy to deal with (he is now 130lbs!!!).**

DON’T go to a PetSmart obedience class. I know that they vary from store to store, but we had a terrible experience that ended in my German Shepherd being petrified of children. As you can imagine, this is going to cause some huge problems.
Go online and find a good trainer. Good luck!

Guess it is a YMMV - my mom just completed PetSmart class with her 2 Bischons and it was a wonderful experience. Our vet reccomends the local PetsCo classes.

Your vet would know the best trainers around.

Thanks everyone for the good suggestions!

I actually did take him to an obedience class at the humane society when we first got him. Strangely I don’t remember them covering the jumping problem at all so maybe I need a better class. I will ask the vet.

In the meantime I will try all the other suggestions too.:thumbsup:

This was what worked for me when I had a rapidly growing Bouvier puppy to deal with (he is now 130lbs!!!).

Malia how does your big doggy do around Lily? 130lbs is BIG!! If he was a jumper I’d be scared for you lol. My Leo is only about 35 pounds right now but he hits you like a freight train when he jumps on you. I can’t imagine when he’s full grown (about 60-70 lbs). Bouvier’s are beautiful dogs btw. I never use to be but I am turning into a real dog nut. So many beautiful breeds!

I second the raising of the knee method. Works really well, especially with large dogs. They hate to be thrown off balance. Also, regarding Petsmart, they typically use independant contractors to do their classes, so it can be hit and miss. Check the internet for a local dog club, you may even find a club just for your breed of dog. They usually hold obedience classes.

One last thing that has been a huge help for me is to keep the puppy in a kennel in the house, during their nap times. When they wake up, immediately take them out to do their business, and then let them in for play time. Back outside, and then back in the kennel for their next nap. This will help establish boundaries, and you can put them in there when someone is visiting, or when they are being a little too active.

They probably wouldn’t address a specific problem like jumping in a basic obedience class unless you brought it up. However, they will teach you sit and stay and no which can be used to stop the problem. Tell him to sit and stay then let people inside. Praise him when he doesn’t jump on people – if he’s not food motivated, just give him lots of attention (rub his favorite spot or something and say good in a really happy voice). Say NO loudly and look at him with a mean look on your face and make him get in his crate when he jumps on people. When he does inappropriate behavior make sure you stay consistent with your response whatever you do. I recommend saying NO, BAD FIDO! and ignoring him totally for a few minutes as punishment.

We’ve got an extremely food motivated high energy beagle, but we don’t use treats for her because it is not necessary. She wants to please so much, unless I want her to learn the trick in <5 mins it’s pointless to use food.

I use this as a protective measure against all medium/large dogs who jump on me, and it works beautifully (even if they aren’t trained to not jump).

We have used the coins in a can method, too.

Is there any chance you could get behind Leo (be facing the same direction), and “sit” on his backside as you give a command or tell him, “No”? We use this to demonstrate dominance when training puppies, and have had great results.

I’ve had two very energetic Boxers over the past 15 years. Here’s what worked for us:

1. Exercise your dog every day, rain or shine. Walk them at least a half an hour a day. Find a dog park and run your dog. Your breed needs a lot of exercise by nature. Denying them this outlet is like denying your children school.

2. Get a coffee can and fill it with lots of change. When the door opens and he jumps shake it in his ear and tell him NO. Do this as much as you can until he gets it. This is a problem that will only get worse if you don’t train him NOW.

3. If all else fails, call your vet and get a recommendation for a good dog trainer. Invest in your dog. It will only make your life more managable.

Wow, I never do the turn my back thing on jumpy dogs. Depending on their size I do one of two things. For a small dog I stick my hand out, palm facing the dog so when he jumps he hits his nose on my hand while at the same time saying in a stern voice “no jump” . For a larger dog, I bring my knee up so he hits his chest on it and say in a stern voice “no jump”. Now of course if he knows the command “sit” I use that and praise for sitting. BTW, this works really well with many of my Avon customers dogs who are not trained to not jump, I do not hurt them but it is unpleasant to have them hit their nose or chest on me which makes it more likely they won’t do it again and trust me, they quickly learn who they can jump on and who they can’t.

I agree with the taking the basic obedience classes. They will show you how to do this and how to use positive reinvorcement and not negative (more the sit, stay kinds of commands with praise being the main reason for doing it and not treats).

Brenda V.

I can relate! I have a grate dane, a lab mix and a cavilear. I also am a dog walker and spend lots of time around dogs. All were good tips and methods. the key is not your method but your consistancy. It just takes time honestly my Cav is the hardest so far to train bur consistancy reaps rewards. He sounds like a young dog. just keep up with it. Maybe you can find an obedience class you can bring you children too- that was fun for us. (I also have three kids rangeing from 9-2 in age with a baby on the way so good well trained dogs are a must!!)

We have two Jack Russell Terriers and they are “jumpers” by nature. I trained them by myself and used the same technique with both of them. One responded very quickly and the other took almost two years but she finally caught on. I kennel both of the “girls” when we are sleeping at night and while we are at work but I never use it as a punishment. When they would jump I would firmly say “down” (never yell) and put one hand in the air like you were signaling someone to stop and hold them on the floor with the other hand. Always keep eye contact with them and give them a treat when they do well. Good Luck!!:thumbsup:

Well, what I’ve done has worked for our Shiba Inu, they are stubborn and strong dogs - and mine could knock me over in a heartbeat if I’d not gotten the jumping under control.

Oh yeah, Dogs respond first to visual cues than verbal so when you tell it down have a hand signal too. I use an open faced hand like I am pushing something down.

Put the dog outside on a leash in the shade with food and water several times a day and also when you have company-:thumbsup: fenced-in backyard even better!

Oh, and when training use small nutritious snacks only when dog complies with commands and lavish praise-these type of dogs are very excitable so just keep trying for the best behavior.

So don’t teach the dog manners? Not a good long term solution;)

German Shorthairs are pointers and notoriously active and high energy animals.

That is a working class dog and should be worked a LOT. They need to feel like they are accomplishing something.

I’ve got a ‘just about’ year old 100 lb Chessie that we have to run 2-3 times a week along side the vehicle on a gravel road at 15 mph or more for a mile or two to keep him feeling “accomplished”… this is added to the hours of fetching and fun play time with other dogs in the backyard.

A good advanced obedience class is a must.

Also for a working class animal like that you might want to check to see if there are any field trial clubs in your area. They have classes to train these animals to do what they were bred to do (point, retrieve etc.) If you never took the dog hunting, the clubs would still have a lot to offer. You can check with vets for this too, or check the local sporting goods stores to see if they have any info. Here are some links I googled quick. This is a great way to enjoy the breeding of your animal, and also a great and fun way to get your kids (if they’re old enough) involved in working the family pet!

my.voyager.net/~waftc/
nwsc.autumnskye.com/
americanfield.com/Pages/Fieldtrials.html

Good luck. DH wants a GS so bad, but we just don’t have the room or the resources for an animal of that nature right now. It’s hard enough with a more tame Chessie :slight_smile:

:hug1:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.