Fellowship of the Ring

I was just seeing yet again my video of Fellowship of the Ring and it suddenly came to me that in the scene where Aragorn and Arwen are speaking on the bridge, when she gives him her necklace. Is she essentially giving her vows to him (and since he is symbolic of Christ - then as a nun)?:confused:

Why do you see Elessar as being symbolic of Christ?

I hadn’t thought of it that way. But, considering a nun’s vows are marriage vows, I can see the connection.

[quote=Leopard]Why do you see Elessar as being symbolic of Christ?
[/quote]

There are many parallels between Aragorn and Jesus, if you look for them. Tolkien hated allegory, and LOTR isn’t one, but there is a lot of Catholic typology in the story, within nearly every character and situation.

I don’t know about how “essentially” that would be. In the books, Aragorn and Arwen marry after the war and have at least one child (Eldarion).

If she’s the “bride of Christ” wouldn’t that make her a better type of the Church then a nun? (Except of course that she dies a year after the death of Aragorn).

There are also parallels between Gandalf and Christ and Frodo and Christ.

While its an interesting hypothesis its not likely. The love story of Arwen and Aragorn is based on Tolkien’s own romance with his wife. He was a few years younger than her but his guardian would not allow them to marry until he graduated. Can you see the parallel? Having to wait and be faithful. Waiting to see if your love will stand the test etc.

You can read more about LotR,Tolkein and Catholicism at:
mythictruth.com/

Yes. As well as parallels between Arwen and Mary and Galadriel and Mary. :slight_smile:

While its an interesting hypothesis its not likely. The love story of Arwen and Aragorn is based on Tolkien’s own romance with his wife. He was a few years younger than her but his guardian would not allow them to marry until he graduated. Can you see the parallel? Having to wait and be faithful. Waiting to see if your love will stand the test etc.

I agree. But, we can also cite that a nun goes through 3 stages of discernment as to her vocation, and that is also a test of love. I wasn’t the one who proposed Arwen and Aragorn’s promises to each other as having similarities with the nun taking vows, and it’s certainly not exact in comparison, but some parallels can be drawn without doing damage to Tolkien’s original intent. Yes?

You can read more about LotR,Tolkein and Catholicism at:
mythictruth.com/

Thank you for the link! :smiley: I’ve been eager to find a site that goes into Tolkien’s Catholic view of life as reflected in LOTR. I very much appreciate it! :clapping:

Wow! This is an amazing link…this is definitely going to take time to sift through, but definitely worth the time. Thanks.:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.