Female Cardinals in the RCC's future?

This from the Washington Post…

washingtonpost.com/national/on-faith/could-pope-francis-make-women-cardinals-a-pipe-dream-and-an-opening/2013/10/17/b3d9fcec-376c-11e3-89db-8002ba99b894_story.html

This is mainstream media idiocy. must be a slow news day.

Yep.

Ed

Well, the point is it is possible, just like it is theologically possible for any male Catholic to be pope. Both are equally ridiculous speculations.

Code of Canon Law:

Can. 351 §1. The Roman Pontiff freely selects men to be promoted as cardinals, who have been ordained at least into the order of the presbyterate and are especially outstanding in doctrine, morals, piety, and prudence in action; those who are not yet bishops must receive episcopal consecration.

Ordinatio Sacerdotalis

Wherefore, in order that all doubt may be removed regarding a matter of great importance, a matter which pertains to the Church’s divine constitution itself, in virtue of my ministry of confirming the brethren (cf. Lk 22:32) I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church’s faithful.

RESPONSUM AD PROPOSITUM DUBIUM
CONCERNING THE TEACHING
CONTAINED IN “ORDINATIO SACERDOTALIS”

Dubium: Whether the teaching that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women, which is presented in the Apostolic Letter Ordinatio Sacerdotalis to be held definitively, is to be understood as belonging to the deposit of faith.

Responsum: Affirmative.

This teaching requires definitive assent, since, founded on the written Word of God, and from the beginning constantly preserved and applied in the Tradition of the Church, it has been set forth infallibly by the ordinary and universal Magisterium (cf. Second Vatican Council, Dogmatic Constitution on the Church Lumen Gentium 25, 2). Thus, in the present circumstances, the Roman Pontiff, exercising his proper office of confirming the brethren (cf. Lk 22:32), has handed on this same teaching by a formal declaration, explicitly stating what is to be held always, everywhere, and by all, as belonging to the deposit of the faith.

The Sovereign Pontiff John Paul II, at the Audience granted to the undersigned Cardinal Prefect, approved this Reply, adopted in the Ordinary Session of this Congregation, and ordered it to be published.

Rome, from the offices of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, on the Feast of the Apostles SS. Simon and Jude, October 28, 1995.

Reporters with brains in the Washington Post’s future?
:smiley:

I like that comparison. I’ve been searching for one to make that point. Thanks. :slight_smile:

The article itself is not that bad (or at least not as bad as others I have seen :p). For the most part, they get the facts right. It is theoretically possible. We shouldn’t be scandalized if such a thing were to happen.

I don’t know why, though, that they posit that the way around Canon Law for women cardinals would be to allow for women deacons. Um, I’m pretty sure it would be a lot simpler for the Pope to exercise his right to ammend Canon Law and/or temporarily set aside certain provisions and just name a woman as a cardinal. Going the diaconate route would be far more complicated and controversial and (quite probably) impossible.

There was a long thread on this subject recently, now closed. :o

Nope.

I wish there were a sticky thread to answer these questions.
It is plain that any male catholic can be a pope but he would have to be ordained first, but it is already certain as posted in the previous thread on this topic that women CANNOT be ordained, so I guess they can’t be cardinals.

The Washington Post is about the least likely spot where Catholicism will be correctly reported or talked about.

Thank you,
Ed

When was the last lay Cardinal? (If ever)

I understand there have been deacons who were cardinals.

Shrine of Our Lady of the Crag

Does anyone else, constantly have to explain why these things will never happen to their friends of other denominations?

There will be women “priesthood” holders in the mormon church, long, long, long, before it would even be considered in the Catholic Church.

:eek:

What is this recent obsession about female ordination and becoming Pope, as a young Catholic female I in no way feel oppressed because I don’t qualify, I guess I should consider this a blessing and I am excited about what I believe God is calling me to do and if we had female Cardinals they would be like Mother Angelica not Sister Simone.

1 Like

Well, there and the Watchtower. :smiley:

Jon

Agreed.

Thank you for this comment and yes, your are blessed because you have wisdom. :o It’s not even that you wouldn’t “qualify” any more than I don’t “qualify” to get pregnant. It is simply an order of reality where a sacrament which demands the natural resemblance to Christ, the bridegroom can only be conferred on a male fitting that resemblance and the gift of motherhood can only be conferred on one who is female. No need to go to war with reality!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.