Female genital mutilation exposed in Swedish class

thelocal.se/20140620/swedish-school-class-genitally-mutilated

The article does not explain a few things; maybe I’m ignorant.

How is it that the condition of 30 young girls’ genitals is discussed and/or examined in the classroom? And what “native country” are they visiting wherein they are being violated? Is the article trying to be sensitive and not say “Muslim countries?”

Am I missing something?

Why not be concerned about male genital mutilation, ie, circumcision? This is more common in the US and probably other countries then female genital mutilation.

So we shouldn’t be concerned that girls are being mutilated to the point of not being able to urinate, pass menstrual blood or safely birth a child, for the sole purpose of not letting them feel sexual pleasure, because some males are being circumcised either under a legitimate religious belief, medical concern, or even legitimate medical procedure (yes, circumcision is a legitimate medical procedure for certain conditions), and that some men willing choose it in adulthood.

That just makes my skin crawl; what a horrible practice.
Maryl.

Maybe during physical exams by nurses?

My understanding is that there is more pain experienced during the genital mutilation of women, and more long-lasting consequences.

Why say “Muslim countries?” Muslims aren’t the only ones who practice female circumcision.

Quoting from the news article:

some 28 of the girls were found to have been subjected to the most severe form of genital mutilation, when the clitoris and labia are completely cut away and the genital area sewn together except for a small opening.

If male circumcision involved cutting off the penis, leaving only a tiny stump, then it would be comparable to female genital mutilation.

There’s nothing to be missing in the prior comment. The Swedish press is so scared of being called racist, islamophobic or internationally intolerant that they wouldn’t dare criticize it.

Funny, I thought they would just automatically adopt Swedish values. That’s the nonsense the international left peddles.

:rotfl:

Man, the lengths Western liberals go to defend Islam.

Female genital mutilation is much more risky surgically (and I would say with fair certainty more painful).

Also, I’d say it’s done without, shall we say, more often than naught, without full consent/knowledge of young girls who endure it?

It’s a VERY unpleasant experience.

Indeed and it predates Islam in fact and although it has come to be seen as attached to it in some areas there are other Muslims who speak out against it strongly and it is not common in all Muslim countries. One of the strongest voices against it in the UK is that of a Muslim organisation who have put out public campaigns saying that it is a repellent practise and unsafe.

Nothing of the kind - you seem to be making a false corollary that Islamic countries generally practise genital mutilation. Some Muslim countries do, but even there where it is practised varies by region and a host of other factors and it is less likely to be practised in urban areas. Some other countries where the majority of the populace is Muslim would find the practise repellent. It’s a not a simplistic subject which can be used to attack a supposedly monolithic version of Islam that no more exists than does a similarly monolithic form of Christianity.

By the way in Kenya many Christians, including Catholics practise this and there are other places where that is true. One Jewish group practise it also.

The comparison is not apt for a number of reasons other posters have mentioned. I know male circumcision has long been in vogue in the USA in a way it never has in Europe, one of my wife’s friends emigrated to the states with her husband who is a doctor himself and was bemused to find that circumcision was been carried out almost routinely on male kids in some places. Even so, one male circumcision is far less damaging overall and the health risks are minimal in comparison to FGM.

But this is happening in Sweden, so pray tell, who is the group in question, the Lutheran Christians, the small minority of Jews or the Muslims whose numbers, by immigration, has been increasing in Sweden?

p.s. Moreover, the majority who practice female circumcision the world over are Muslim.

There is no mention of FGM in the Bible or Quran.[102] Although its origins are pre-Islamic, **it became associated with Islam because of that religion’s focus on female modesty and chastity, and is found only within or near Muslim communities.**103] It is praised in several hadith (sayings attributed to Muhammad) as noble but not required, along with advice that the milder forms are kinder to women.[104] In 2006 several leading Islamic scholars called for an end to the practice, and in 2007 the Al-Azhar Supreme Council of Islamic Research in Cairo ruled that it has no basis in Islamic law.[105] According to Mackie, it is not practised in Mecca and Medina in Saudi Arabia, Islam’s holiest cities, although there have been reports of it in that country, perhaps among immigrant communities.[106] Surveys have shown that there is a widespread belief in several countries, particularly Eritrea, Egypt, Guinea, Mali and Mauritania, that FGM is a religious requirement.[107] Mackie and LeJeune write that practitioners may not distinguish between religion, tradition and chastity, which makes it difficult to interpret the data.[108]

Outside Islam, FGM has been practised by the Christian Copts in Egypt and Sudan, and by the Beta Israel of Ethiopia, the only Jewish group known to have practised it. Judaism requires male circumcision, but does not allow FGM.[109]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_genital_mutilation

Nothing of the kind - you seem to be making a false corollary that Islamic countries generally practise genital mutilation.

:dts:

A couple of tips:

1. Never use the word “you” in the news forums. Discuss issues.

2. Also, there is no false corollary. Muslim immigrants in Sweden practice it. I would suggest avoiding such interpretations of my comments in the future.

I hasn’t boded well on here previously.

Some Muslim countries do, but even there where it is practised varies by region and a host of other factors and it is less likely to be practised in urban areas. Some other countries where the majority of the populace is Muslim would find the practise repellent. It’s a not a simplistic subject which can be used to attack a supposedly monolithic version of Islam that no more exists than does a similarly monolithic form of Christianity.

By the way in Kenya many Christians, including Catholics practise this and there are other places where that is true. One Jewish group practise it also.

An insufficient explanation to say the least.

It is true that not everyone who does FGM is Muslim. But there’s more here going on than that.

I’ve lived in Europe before and I’m quite sure I know exactly what this is about: The Swedish media wanting badly to draw attention to this awful practice without being called racist or islamophobic.

So no accusations of fancy “false corollaries” or running on very marginal probabilities is needed.

I asked a question and instead of answering, you read into it something that I did not say. I will never understand why it is so prevalent on internet forums for people to imply that others think or believe things they never said. Perhaps they have preset arguments in mind, and so must “create” an opponent so they feel a reason to express their argument.

Unsubscribing… :wink:

Because your comment had nothing to do with the topic presented by the OP and the news article presented. Instead of addressing the article you tried to chide people because they don’t care about men circumcision, which as my post and other posts were trying to inform you are not and cannot be compared.

No, they are not comparable. Female Genital MUTILATION is a horrible thing.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.