Female issues (men warned)

When I saw this thread, I immediately thought of Dr. Hilgers and NaProTechnology. It apparently has a 95% effective rate of treating severe PMS symptoms naturally, without undergoing a hysterectomy.

Unfortunately the medical world is anti-woman in a lot of ways and to “cure” a lot of female problems they just throw pills at us or gut us without really curing the problem itself. There are movements in the field to actually listen to a woman’s body! There are alternatives to the pill and surgery.

I have never heard of the Pope Paul VI Institute. You see, that is why I posted here, I knew you guys would be of a great help to me. :smiley:

Thanks for the link and your prayers.

Peace.

My depression is due to past trauma as a child. I have had blood work done several times in the past and my doctors have not found any chemical imbalances. I take depression medication and it helps but when my period is just around the corner then comes the bloating, heavy bleeding, severe cramps, crying, depression worsens, sometimes suicidal thoughts, light-headedness… you name the symptom I probably got it.

So I got the double whammy of clinical depression and PMS. :rolleyes:

Peace.

Wow…95% effective that is remarkable! I agree with the anti-woman mentality in the medical world. I can’t tell you how many times I have felt like my words went in one ear and out the other with the different gynecologists I have seen throughout my life.

Thanks for the recommendations. I have much food and research for thought.

Thanks you guys! God bless.

Peace.

If the depression is due to trauma, and the symptoms worsen before your menstrual cycle, does this cause you discomfort because it brings back prior traumatic issues, or because they are additional symptoms to handle?

It doesn’t bring back prior traumatic issues but is more along the lines of throwing my hormones completely out of whack to the point that my depression medication doesn’t work and makes the other PMS symptoms harder to handle (constant crying, bloating, heavy bleeding, light-headedness, fussy thinking, lack of concentration, etc).

Peace.

I get like that when I don’t eat right, among other factors. By right, I mean right for me, which is an unusual, difficult regimen I hardly ever manage to follow. I will pray for you.

Thank you for your prayers and my prayers that you are better able to follow your regimen. :slight_smile: I know how hard it is to stick to good habits when it comes to ones diet. :wink:

Peace.

I was going to say that diet definitely has a large role to play in PMDD (that is what you have honey, not PMS) from your description.

Through trial and error I have found what works best for me - turns out I am highly sensitive to wheat (could be celiac but have been off the wheat now for so long that no test will help). My own Drs. go with me on my own elimination diet, if I have eliminated and my symptoms are minor (still have PMS but no longer the suicidal type depression at that time of the month). In my research I have found that it is not uncommon for someone with Celiac to actually have depression and/or PMDD.

My gynecologist worked with me on this for years trying to find a solution. He is one of the best here locally although he is not an NFP only dr. and he is no longer taking any more patients he listens to his patients! Progesterone cream is a great thing for me as well as eliminating wheat (and tomatoes and pork!)

I guess what I am saying is when you do find that NFP dr. talk to him/her about diet too. If you can stop the clinical depression then all you need to focus on is the PMDD.

My prayers are with you as you seek the right Doctor and staff to help you with this without the surgery or birth control pills!

Brenda V.

I had brought up the subject of PMDD with my present gynecologist but it was dismissed as being something way out there as a possibility, which I found kind of hard to swallow due to my symptoms. :rolleyes:

It’s hard when you don’t have medical insurance and have to rely on state medical insurance which isn’t accepted by most doctors. I think I might have to look for another gynecologist. I have already gotten in contact with NaProTechnology concerning my PMS so I will see what happens if/when they respond. I hope they can help me find a Catholic gynecologist who can help me but that charges on a sliding scale.

Thank you Brenda for your prayers and in taking the time to describe your journey with PMDD and the changes you have had to make with your diet.

Peace.

I’m so sorry you’re experiencing this-:frowning: -I too used to have major mood swings…but, at least for me, the pill really did nothing to subside the mood swings–in fact, sometimes they were worse, because with the pill–in order to regulate the period, there is a drastic drop in estrogen (I think it’s estrogen?) during the week of your period–the pill that is a different shade of color than other weeks in the month. That particular drop in hormones, causes the period to start at the same time regularly, but the drop really causes mood swings and sometimes heart palpitations. If there was any advice I could give to you–please seek alternative therapy–maybe a holistic approach. The pill is bad bad bad for our bodies, can even increase breast cancer–so please consider doing something else besides this method. You’re in my prayers that a good chemical free solution comes your way.

If you are unhappy with these opinions then get a second and even third opinion. I am not sure why they would recommend a hysterectomy as this would do nothing to solve your problem.

Many women have their reproductive organs (ovaries or uterus) removed for medical reasons. This makes them infertile, and that’s often a very sad event for the woman. But, there is no sin in it at all. I can promise you that the Catholic Church does not teach that a woman can’t undergo medical treatment that may affect her fertility. The moral issue is when a woman seeks to become infertile because she doesn’t want to become pregnant. That is what the Church prohibits.

You should definitely talk to a couple of doctors to be sure that a hysterectomy would have the desired effect. It’s a pretty drastic measure that shouldn’t be taken lightly. But, if the best medical science says that it will prevent you from becoming suicidal every four weeks, and that it’s the best way to achieve that end, then it would be an option to consider. The sinfulness of it, however, would not be an issue. It would not be a sin.

I stated in post #4 that I know the Catholic Church is not against hysterectomies for medical reasons. What I was trying to explain before is my hesitancy to have such a procedure done without doing as much research as possible on other alternatives. I wouldn’t want to have a hysterectomy and then later find out it wasn’t necessary at all and then have to carry that in my soul for the rest of my life.

I am already in the process of looking into other alternatives.

Peace.

Your experience is just another example of why I don’t want to take birth control pills and I most certainly am looking into the alternatives, you can be sure of that. :slight_smile:

Thank you for your prayers.

Peace.

I used to suffer from pretty bad PMS cramps etc, I’ve been taking fish oil pills daily and don’t have any more problems. (I also take calcium too.) Another think that helped was through diet and exercise (losing 10 pounds and exercising at least 3 times a week.) There are much more serious hormonal problems you can get after having your ovaries removed (they are removed when you get a hysterectomy) that your doctor won’t necessarily tell you about.

I know this is a bit off topic, but I since you mentioned depression, have you had your thyroid checked. I know many people who had PMS/period issues and depression/anxiety before being treated for their thyroid problem. It’s checked for by a simple blood test.

How old are you? If you’re under 40, I’d consider reading up on the cons of having your ovaries removed at such a young age. Read the Premature Menopause Book by Kathryn Petras (www.earlymenopause.com)). Early menopause raises a whole host of health concerns that women aren’t supposed to face until their fifties.

I had a complete hysterectomy nine months ago (at 30) b/c of a kind of ovarian cancer. I won’t lie to you, my PMS symptoms that caused me great difficulty (migraines, depression, anxiety, and mood swings) have decreased. But, b/c I’m in menopause unnaturally early, I need to take some kind of estrogen if possible, in order to protect my bones and heart health. It turns out the estrogen was what was causing those symptoms. But, I need that estrogen, otherwise I could have osteoporosis in the next few years. I’ve spent the last few months trying to find a balance. If I take my estrogen daily, I’m depressed and have several day long migraines. If I don’t take it daily, my hot flashes, night sweats, and insomnia get worse. Early menopause is a challenging road.

Another thing to consider is that you may someday get married and want to have children. You say you don’t feel called to marriage, but what if that changes. DH and I don’t have children now. We’re in the middle of our adoption journey. I believe with all my heart that this is the path that God intends for us to walk, but it is SO HARD somedays I can hardly bear it. Everyone else seems to get pregnant so easily, yet DH and I will never bear children. I know I’ll love our adopted kids as much as if I gave birth to them, but it seems like our journey to be a family has been such a hard one for us.

I don’t mean to be so wordy, and I can’t tell you what to do. I did want to share a bit of my story since I can tell you what life is like post-hyst. While I am happy with my life and generally a very happy, optimistic person, I wouldn’t wish this on anyone, if that makes sense. I would not have had a hysterectomy for any reason other than my cancer. There are treatments for depression, for migraines, that don’t involve a major surgery. I do hope you can find help for your symptoms, they are miserable, but I don’t believe this is the way to go.

I had my thyroid checked as a teen when a previous doctor suspected I may have hirsutism (in plain language… He thought me to be a hairy GAL LOL). But all turned out normal and in my teens I had all of the same PMS symptoms that I suffer from now.

I am glad that you have found some relief to your PMS. :slight_smile: Thanks for your post.

Peace.

Hmmm…strange…my reply to you just disappeared after it went through. :eek: I will try to duplicate it again.

Thank you for being so generous as to share your experience. :hug1: I am almost 36 and even though I don’t feel called to married life that doesn’t mean I am closing the door to God’s will should He have plans in the future for me to marry. :wink:

I don’t take lightly even contemplating the thought of getting a hysterectomy and your experience post hysterectomy just reinforces my working even harder to research the alternatives to a hysterectomy.

I thank you again for posting your experience, for the earlymenopause link and will keep you and your husband in my prayers that this adoption journey that you are in the middle of soon comes to happy end. :gopray:

Peace.

PS: no need to apologize for being wordy (which you weren’t). I reached out for others to share their experiences and alternatives. Which is just what you did. :slight_smile:

Have you heard of Marilyn Shannon’s book Fertility, Cycles, and Nutrition? It’s available from Couple to Couple League for Natural Family Planning among other places. ccli.org/shop/onlineshopping.php?criteria=category&f_cat=books&ind=1&order_by=name

Mrs. Shannon recommends nutritional therapies (diet) to improve irregular cycles and PMS symptoms. Her recommendations definitely help improve physical symptoms and mood swings, but I didn’t see specific mention of clinical depression as one of the symptoms helped by her nutritional recommendations. Although “your mileage may vary,” i.e. what works for others may not work as well or at all for you, improvements in diet, vitamin supplements, and exercise can’t hurt you, so they’re worth a try.

Others mentioned possible thyroid problems and allergies like celiac disease having an impact on physical and psychological (brain chemistry) symptoms. How about systemic yeast overgrowth? All can be helped without side effects by nutritional therapies, eliminating some foods, adding more of others.

How about PCOS? 4woman.gov/faq/pcos.htm#a That has hair growth and depression as symptoms.

Best wishes,
Christine

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.