Female Pope myth

BUT…what a great read this web page is…if you never been to the straight dope website…you should check it out sometime.

straightdope.com/classics/a2_139.html

[quote=Think]BUT…what a great read this web page is…if you never been to the straight dope website…you should check it out sometime.

straightdope.com/classics/a2_139.html
[/quote]

I may be wrong, but I think Cecil makes an error in a response at the end:

1. Regarding papal infallibility, the Encyclopedia Britannica says, “The definition of the first Vatican Council … states the conditions under which a pope may be said to have spoken infallibly, or ex cathedra. It is prerequisite that the pope intend to demand irrevocable assent from the entire church in some aspect of faith or morals.” The ordinary teachings of the Church, by contrast, are not infallible. The pope can say what he likes about birth control, for example, and Catholics are obliged to obey, at least in the conservative view. But until he makes an infallible pronouncement on the subject, he has the option of someday changing his mind.

I think he is confusing papal infallibility speaking ex catherdra as being extraordinary and when he speaks at other times being ordinary. My understanding is that the Ordinary magisterium is constant Church teaching and is infallible. So birth control teaching can not change because it is constant Church teaching, hence infallible, correct?

Scott

I think a few Papal encyclicals have been corrected over time if I’m not mistaken…the whole infallibilty thing has me a bit confused because more than a fee Popes have been wrong.

[quote=Scott Waddell]I may be wrong, but I think Cecil makes an error in a response at the end:

I think he is confusing papal infallibility speaking ex catherdra as being extraordinary and when he speaks at other times being ordinary. My understanding is that the Ordinary magisterium is constant Church teaching and is infallible. So birth control teaching can not change because it is constant Church teaching, hence infallible, correct?

Scott
[/quote]

Do not confuse infallibility with being impecable (please excuse my poor spelling - I have two degrees from Berkeley and am a member of Mensa and cannot spell worth a darn - go figure).

Scott, you are correct in that when dealing with a matter of faith and morals, dogma and doctrine, the Pope speaks infallibly - under the protection of the Holy Spirit. It is possible for a Pope to be wrong just as it is possible for any human being to be wrong. Non-Catholics and/or Catholics who are just learning often make the mistake of thinking that everything a Pope says is treated as though it is infallible. In fact, it is rare that this is invoked.

As for the female pope myth, that has been about for so long and has been debunked by several Catholic and Secular scholars but it is so titilating that it is difficult to ignore, right? Kind of like the idea of alligators in the sewers of NYC…the legend has been disproved again and again but everyone has a friend of a friend with a cousin named Tony who knows this guy who works for the city and he says…lolololol

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.