Female Priests in Sweden

I came across this video of St Lawrence Cathedral in Lund Sweden, where the next Primate of the Church of Sweden is bishop. Those who fear and/or disagree with female ordination may be comforted by this glimpse into the Lutheran Church.

youtube.com/watch?v=s2zDnGI9Q8Q#t=443

What a splendid cathedral, but no, it doesn’t alter my view regarding the priesthood.
There is no comfort for me, as a Lutheran, when I see my Lutheran siblings drift from the Church Catholic in this manner.

Jon

I’ve tried to start the video at the beginning; please adjust.

The scene of the female priest baptizing the infant and then holding the baby like a mother convinces me, all the more, that the idea of women priests is natural and holy.

But those are not the things that determine doctrine, my friend.

Jon

Just because something makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside, doesn’t mean that it is true. I learned this the hard way when studying my way out of the LDS church. Warm fuzzies are not a reliable way of distinguishing between truth and falsehood.

I dealt with a few of these “wana be’s”. They definitely are not warm and fuzzy.

Eh, I don’t mind. I live in an area with a very heavy ELCA presence, so it’s not abnormal or erroneous to me.

I am assuming they are “progressive”???

The Evangelical Lutheran Church of America is very progressive, almost to the chagrin of LCMS and other churches.

a few years ago I had contact with the women who “transformed” themselves into priests in Pittsburgh. They are aggressive

Perhaps it is just passion for their vocation.
Often when women are strong in areas people are not used to seeing them, people perceive that as aggressive in a negative way when really, they are just fervid and spirited about what they are doing and making up for lost time.

What a beautiful church. It’s so good to see girls and women so involved and happy.
This is a Lutheran Church?

I think that these women want to be men more than they want to be priests.:frowning:

Agreed. I hate to talk against my own kind…but, their arguments center on the me rather than the HE.

Yes, it is the cathedral in Lund, Sweden. It’s bishop, Antje Jackelén, was elected archbishop recently.

Awesome Cathedral. I hope I can visit it some day and will definitely put it on the list.

If I may ask, why would you think that seeing female priests in action would make one who disagrees with female ordination more comfortable? The reason I ask is because there seems to be an underlying issue. I can see one being comforted if the issue was: “can they do the job”. They all seemed to be very genuine, delightful, holy women who performed the liturgy flawlessly. They did it just as well as any man. But that isn’t the issue at all. It is not a question of equality.

Men and women were created to be different. We were created male and female. The male was created to give the seed of life to the female, who then grows the seed and nurtures it. This difference extends into our spiritual lives as well. The Word is the seed of life given to us by God and it is the priest, acting in the person of Christ, who gives this seed to his Bride, the Church. Christ himself gave us the example to follow. There were many holy women around Jesus, the greatest example being Jesus’ own mother. But he only chose men to continue the ministerial priesthood and they, in turn, only chose men.

It is a settled case in the Catholic Church as I am sure are aware. It is settled because Pope John Paul, II declared that neither he, nor anyone else had the authority to change what Christ has established.

So, my question remains, why would witnessing female priests in action make anyone more comfortable when the issue is not one of equality or ability, but rather a matter of function?

It is just neither biblical, nor is there historical precedent for it.

It is, however, extremely trendy and worldly. In a nation which has been relentlessly pagan, and continues to be, it can be expected that any belief system will be shaped according to human desires.

But, is it truth?

This doesn’t comfort me at all. In fact it makes me sad.

You really don’t have a clue what they want.

Disagreeing with people does not require you to engage in malicious mind-reading, and such tactics do nothing to win people to orthodoxy.

Edwin

Demagoguery… It has nothing to do with feelings. It has to do with sound doctrine:

2 Timothy 4:3 For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own likings,

Ordination Sacerdotalis - Wherefore, in order that all doubt may be removed regarding a matter of great importance, a matter which pertains to the Church’s divine constitution itself, in virtue of my ministry of confirming the brethren (cf. Lk 22:32) I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church’s faithful.

RESPONSUM AD PROPOSITUM DUBIUM
CONCERNING THE TEACHING
CONTAINED IN “ORDINATIO SACERDOTALIS”

*Dubium: Whether the teaching that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women, which is presented in the Apostolic Letter Ordinatio Sacerdotalis to be held definitively, is to be understood as belonging to the deposit of faith.

Responsum: Affirmative.

This teaching requires definitive assent, since, founded on the written Word of God, and from the beginning constantly preserved and applied in the Tradition of the Church, it has been set forth infallibly by the ordinary and universal Magisterium (cf. Second Vatican Council, Dogmatic Constitution on the Church Lumen Gentium 25, 2). Thus, in the present circumstances, the Roman Pontiff, exercising his proper office of confirming the brethren (cf. Lk 22:32), has handed on this same teaching by a formal declaration, explicitly stating what is to be held always, everywhere, and by all, as belonging to the deposit of the faith.
The Sovereign Pontiff John Paul II, at the Audience granted to the undersigned Cardinal Prefect, approved this Reply, adopted in the Ordinary Session of this Congregation, and ordered it to be published.
Rome, from the offices of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, on the Feast of the Apostles SS. Simon and Jude, October 28, 1995.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.