Female swimsuits on the beach, in swimming pool????

As catholic man, are you against the wearing of bikini (two piece swimsuits) for your wife, for your female friends, for your fiancée, for your girlfriend, for your daughter of 14 year old and more, per se and by nature, on the beach, in the public swimming pool or in the private swimming pool with family and/or friends? Do you have a moral issue with that? Is it a moral problematic? Are you annoyed if a woman wears that? In favor or not?

As catholic woman, are you against the wearing of bikini (two piece swimsuits) for your, for your female friends, for your daughter of 14 year old and more, per se and by nature, on the beach, in the public swimming pool or in the private swimming pool with family and/or friends? Do you have a moral issue with that? Is it a moral problematic? Are you annoyed if a woman wears that? Do you like wear that? Are you morally annoyed by this type of swimsuits? In favor or not?

Two-Piece Swimsuits, when was it invented? Which period of the story?

Bikini (two piece swimsuits) MORAL OR IMMORAL???

No, I don’t have an issue with it.

Such are not attire I would recommend

And all the professional models refused to model it when it was introduced.

Please. It’s been a pleasant few weeks without another women’s modesty thread. Lord knows there have been enough of them in the past and every May or June one gets started on swimwear and the women bashing begins.

I hope the moderators close this thread down and refer your inquiry back to some of these:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=358187&highlight=swimwear+swimsuit

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=434484&highlight=swimwear+swimsuit

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=261269&highlight=swimwear+swimsuit

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=464199&highlight=swimwear+swimsuit

There were numerous other threads that came up in a search for swim wear/bikini, but the ones I linked above have thankfully been closed. Keep in mind that it’s against forum rules to resurrect an old thread, so please don’t start responding to the old threads that somehow remained opened.

I think I wish I had a body to pull one off.
If perverts get bad ideas, its not my problem.

Hello BTW…I guess this is my first post after watching for a while.

I have to agree that the last thing we need is another women’s modesty thread. It just turns ugly (and usually into personal attacks) and accomplishes nothing.

There are bikinis :slight_smile: and there are bikinis. :eek:

An interesting* factum* I ran across some time ago – when the Bikini was first invented and introduced in France in 1947 – no normal model was able to be found who was willing to model it.

They had to hire one who was already being objectified by men and thus did not care about immodesty – to model it for them…

Sorry, sorry. I did not wish to annoy the women with that. The next time, i will be careful.

Please, forgive me. I did not know.

fpt,

There is nothing to forgive. You didn’t know about this topic and I know you are doing research for a paper or book, but the usual suspects (the ones that get puritanical on your other threads) will be out in droves to voice their opinions on this and start up the women bashing. Hopefully you can glean what you need from those links and Julian Peters or one of the other mods will close this thread down.

Regarding Modesty:

(for readers–I know you are aware of this section–the whole is important but I will highlight a few directed to clothing)

II. THE BATTLE FOR PURITY

2520 Baptism confers on its recipient the grace of purification from all sins. But the baptized must continue to struggle against concupiscence of the flesh and disordered desires. With God’s grace he will prevail

• by the virtue and gift of chastity, for chastity lets us love with upright and undivided heart;

• by purity of intention which consists in seeking the true end of man: with simplicity of vision, the baptized person seeks to find and to fulfill God’s will in everything;313

• by purity of vision, external and internal; by discipline of feelings and imagination; by refusing all complicity in impure thoughts that incline us to turn aside from the path of God’s commandments: “Appearance arouses yearning in fools”;314

• by prayer:

I thought that continence arose from one’s own powers, which I did not recognize in myself. I was foolish enough not to know . . . that no one can be continent unless you grant it. For you would surely have granted it if my inner groaning had reached your ears and I with firm faith had cast my cares on you.315

2521 Purity requires modesty, an integral part of temperance. Modesty protects the intimate center of the person. It means refusing to unveil what should remain hidden. It is ordered to chastity to whose sensitivity it bears witness. It guides how one looks at others and behaves toward them in conformity with the dignity of persons and their solidarity.

2522 Modesty protects the mystery of persons and their love. It encourages patience and moderation in loving relationships; it requires that the conditions for the definitive giving and commitment of man and woman to one another be fulfilled. Modesty is decency. It inspires one’s choice of clothing. It keeps silence or reserve where there is evident risk of unhealthy curiosity. It is discreet.

2523 There is a modesty of the feelings as well as of the body. It protests, for example, against the voyeuristic explorations of the human body in certain advertisements, or against the solicitations of certain media that go too far in the exhibition of intimate things. Modesty inspires a way of life which makes it possible to resist the allurements of fashion and the pressures of prevailing ideologies.

2524 The forms taken by modesty vary from one culture to another. Everywhere, however, modesty exists as an intuition of the spiritual dignity proper to man. It is born with the awakening consciousness of being a subject. Teaching modesty to children and adolescents means awakening in them respect for the human person.

2525 Christian purity requires a purification of the social climate. It requires of the communications media that their presentations show concern for respect and restraint. Purity of heart brings freedom from widespread eroticism and avoids entertainment inclined to voyeurism and illusion.

2526 So called moral permissiveness rests on an erroneous conception of human freedom; the necessary precondition for the development of true freedom is to let oneself be educated in the moral law. Those in charge of education can reasonably be expected to give young people instruction respectful of the truth, the qualities of the heart, and the moral and spiritual dignity of man.

scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s2c2a9.htm#II

Yes, exactly. Surely it’s getting too cold to bash this one around again. Isn’t it about time to start arguing about Christmas trees, paganism, the evils of mistletoe, and other traditional holiday-related topics?

Don’t give’em any more ideas :smiley:

The bashing of woman is a social and moral scandal. It is very immoral. It is absurd. I do not tolerate that. I am very sad of that.

As catholic man, I have a huge consideration for woman. Woman is the most beatiful creature of the creation. She is on the top of the natural creation. She is potential lover, potential wife and potential mother.

For a man, she is his natural complementarity. We are equal in dignity, for me, woman is so… She is divine.

ONLY, THE CATHOLICISM (Jesus, sacraments) CAN PURIFY THE HEART OF EACH ONE.

:thumbsup:

:amen:

Orthodox Jewish men and women are largely opposed to bikinis and some even one-piece bathing suits, but I am not.

2524 The forms taken by modesty vary from one culture to another. Everywhere, however, modesty exists as an intuition of the spiritual dignity proper to man. It is born with the awakening consciousness of being a subject. Teaching modesty to children and adolescents means awakening in them respect for the human person.

Yes, they very from one culture to another, and one century to another. The native Americans 300 years ago in the area of Mass, Conn, and NY, it was OK to go topless, but the arms needed covers. In other areas of the world, a grass twined piece of clothing covering the genitalia of either sex is all that is required. In other areas a woman needs to be covered head to toe and the men should have beards and a hat with his shoulders to his toes covered.

At one time in the USA, it was improper for women to not have a skirt on. That only changed in the mid 60’s to 70’s. My own grandmother was one of the first women to start wearing pants…I still remember some of the comments from others. She was such a scandal.

Modesty indeed varies. To be modest in today’s society (Midwest USA) is basically to have the nasty bits covered and clothing appropriate to the weather. Here today, that would be a pair of boots and a heavy coat when outside. A sweater or jacket inside. In S. California today, a light shirt and shorts would be good I imagine.

I would say that recognizing that spiritual dignity starts within oneself. That is, not a stitch of clothing needs to be worn to be modest, yet at the same time all the clothing and layers in the world can change the immodesty of others.

So was original sin committed much earlier than eating the fruit from the tree of knowledge? Some might content it was committed by Adam and Eve running around the garden naked! Even more might claim fig leafs were far too racy!:smiley:

I don’t think it’s immoral to wear a bikini.
I wear one when I’m swimming in my own pool or with only women or relatives around, as well as when I was a little kid (not a BIKINI as in string, but a bikini as in a middriff baring suit that made going to the bathroom easier and held less sand) and there was nothing to look at. (I sometimes went in just bottoms as a baby/toddler, though not in very public places where pedophiles were a risk).
Now that I’m a woman and not a little girl, I opt for a “tankini” or one piece in public areas. I do this not because it is a moral imperative, but out of charity as a sort of favor for any boys that struggle with purity (just check out the posts here, there are a lot of them!). Tankini’s are just as comfortable (if not more so) and cute, so I figure why make things harder for these guys who are already trying really hard?
That said, I don’t think it’s on the girl to make it easier for the guys. Wearing a bikini is not intrinsically wrong, and a woman should NOT be blamed for men failing in keeping their thoughts pure. It’s just a little kinder to cover up.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.