Feng Shui

Question: Is feng shui, in regards to decorating and house keeping, a religion? Is it against Catholism to practice it?

It is a superstition originating in China. It is based on astrology and the pagan Chinese doctrine of Qi (pronounced “chee”)- a belief in an inanimate “life-force” that permeates everything in the universe.

If you use Feng Shui because of the superstition and paganism, that would be a sin. If you use it, as most in the west do, for it’s aesthetics then go for it :wink:

Thank you so much.

No problem :wink:

Feng Shui is one of those eastern practices that are becoming increasinly popular here in the west. The practices themselves can be fine, but it is the beliefs that brought them about that we must be sure not to take on.

Yoga for example is a Hindu practice (the excerises we associate with yoga are really only one part of it). Many in the west use it to get fit and increase physical vitality- however in Hinduism it is seen as a form of spirituality and meditation based on Hindu doctrine. While the Church has no objection to someone using yoga to stay in shape, problems arise when we start taking on the doctrines that go along with it.

This was pretty popular where I live a couple of years ago. Caesar gave a good explanation, I think. I think some of it is interesting, how energy flows through a house. It seems like basic good decorating and home design principles wrapped up in a eastern philosophy of sorts. The Catholic Church teaches that other belief systems can contain positive things, and definately the Asians have a good sense of proportion and aesthetics.

There is a fairly clear distinction within Feng Shui between natural and supernatural methods. Arranging plants, fountains, mirrors, windows, lights and so forth are natural. Adding magic flutes, sacred caligraphy, rabbit statues, bamboo spears (to curse the neighbors), exorcisms, blessings and so forth are supernatural but you won’t get into that unless you shell out big bucks for a professional.

And don’t worry about the “spirit energy,” that’s just marketing for the Star Wars crowd. Just try to get a nice flow, as though your home was filled with flowing wind and water. (That’s what Feng Shui means, wind and water.)

We have a next door neighbor whose job is supposed to be a Feng Shui expert. I see many Chinese go to him for advise. He has a good following as I constantly see his clients making a bee-line to his door.

However, I’m not altogether convinced if what he says is always true. Sometime, I feel its left to chance if what he says comes true or not.

For example, one time, he said that a relative of mine was sure to have a baby boy—she ended having a baby girl. :rolleyes:

There are so many rules —like what color is lucky for the day. One time, the feng sui expert neighbor told a dentist friend of mine regarding her clinic, that her bathroom’s door should not face directly the exit door of her clinic because that would mean money will go out easily (like a flush in a toilet).

Another time, he said that the bathroom should not face directly the bedroom because the people in that bedroom will always have bowel problems.

Also, he said that if picture frames are lined up, it should end with a big one. For example, you have 2 small pictures and 2 big ones, you should line it up ***small-big-small-big ***or ***small-small-big-big. ***His reason for this is that you start your business small but will end it big.

The Chinese community have their own traditions. Sometimes, it gets to be meshed with Catholic religion. For example, some parishes with large Chinese Catholic worshipers incorporate some traditions in celebrations (but not during mass). I once attended one wherein a priest presided in the burning of insence to pray for their ancestors after Chinese New Year mass. It was truly a unique exprience for me.

Chinese New Year is news here (which is going to be soon). Even if I am only 1/8th Chinese (as I’m sure, many Filipinos have Chinese blood in them) and 100% Catholic, I greet everyone, KUNG HEI FAT CHOI during this time and look forward to eating “tikoy” (a round sweet desset, that is usually fried)–the traditional gift of Chinese for the New Year–I think its to wish us well during their New Year.

My bestfriend, who lives in California, want to keep updated with the news about what’s in store for the Chinese New Year–like , last year, she wanted to find out if those born in the Year of the Rat (year she was born) would fare well in last year’s Year of the Dog. Well, last year, it was said that my animal’s year meant it was good year of great romance—all I can say is that, it would have been *great *if it really happened. :smiley:

Its part of the Chinese traditions. Some believe it some don’t.

I do know many good and exemplary Chinese Catholics here and I believe they have a deep sense of faith. For one, the first Filipino saint is half-Chinese. :slight_smile:

However, I think its always best to put your faith and fate in God’s hands.

Regarding my last post:

However, I think its always best to put your faith and fate in God’s hands.

I want to add and correct:

However, for me, **faith **and **fate **should be put in God’s hands rather than believing a person’s interpretation of feng shui and let it rule any aspect of your life.

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

Who is he or she?

The first Filipino saint is St. Lorenzo Ruiz of Manila (born between 1600 -1610). His father was Chinese, his mother was Filipina.

He was martyrd in Nagasaki, Japan.

Although he wasn’t an exceptional Christian at the start, when the time came to chose between the preservation of his life and God, he said:

“I’m a Christian and I will remain a Christian even to the point of death. Only to God will I offer my life. Even if I had a thousands lives, I would still offer them to him. This is the reason why I came here in Japan, to leave my native land as a Christian, offering my life to God alone.”

You can view his life story here:
Source:
http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/apple/1434/novena.htm

People do not resort to Feng Shui for its aesthetic values. Anyone who uses Feng Shui and claims not to believe in its “superstitions” at all is lying. Furthermore, I believe in the validity of Feng Shui. I do not know how it works, but one shouldn’t trifle with anything that one doesn’t believe in lest one unintentionally offends another. An analogy would be a non-Catholic decorating their house with cartoon pictures of Jesus or Mary simply for (bad) aesthetic reasons.

You have got to be kidding me…(not you personally, it’s just a phrase)

You can’t possible believe that the placement of your funiture in your house or business is a sin.
Even if a person would be doing it out of superstition, it’s just superstition, like owning a rabbits foot or a lucky charm.

It’s like burying St. Joseph upsidedown when you want to sell your house or saying god bless you when you sneeze.
or wearing a bull horn for the italians to ward off the evil eye.
These are all superstitions but believing in them is part of our culture.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.