Fertiilty, research, and sin

Recent research shows that cell phones can affect fertility. Electromagnetic waves have an effect on sperm mobility and viability.

I’m not a scientist, but it would seem to me that in order to test these things, scientists would have to observe sperm under a microscope. The sperm would have to come from somewhere. Does this mean that someone has to commit a sin in order for the scientists to study fertility? And in cases such as this, can we really call it a sin?

I’m aware of the doctrine that sinful acts are not permitted even if they lead to a good outcome.

What’s the solution?

Do you have a cite to a particular study? Most of this type of research does not use human subjects. Others use indirect data - for example comparing cell phone use in groups of men that did or did not have fertility issues. There are a lot of ethical issues that would prohibit a researcher from exposing a human subject directly to electromagnetic waves as part of a research study.

I don’t recall a particular study, but it was a story in the Dr. Oz newspaper column that referenced loss of sperm mobility of 8% and loss of viability of 9%, so…they had to have come up with those figures somehow.

But regardless of which particular study this was, what about fertility science in general?

I know the National Catholic Bioethics Center mentioned they can use a special condom when they are determining what is causing them to not conceive.
It has holes in it. They wear it during normal intercourse and save the rest to be examined.
I don’t know how other studies are done.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.