Fiddleback Vestments

In light of a bunch of discussions both pro and con concerning the TLM and the fiddleback vestments, I would like to mention that not every single Tridentine Mass uses a fiddleback vestment. At the a number Tridentine Masses the gothic version which is similar to our modern one is used as well as fiddleback. Old Vestments are good because of their beauty.

So I would like to put out one thread about vestments as well as a poll and anyone can feel free to post.

vaguely related: How many priests wear a beretta anymore? I only ask because mine does, and it made me realize how much I miss seeing them.

[quote=mpav]vaguely related: How many priests wear a beretta anymore? I only ask because mine does, and it made me realize how much I miss seeing them.
[/quote]

Mine does too! Although it is at the Tridentine Mass.

Where’s the option for Gothic only?

Your poll is misleading…

You list “Gothic Vestments and Fiddleback” (two distinct styles) as a choice, but you fail to mention “Gothic” by itself or “Gothic and Medieval.”

You’re trying to skew the results or you don’t know how to set-up a poll…

I much prefer the gothic and medieval chasubles which are the same as the “modern” design compared to the “fiddlebacks” (Roman or French chasubles) which look a great deal like bulletproof vests. In brief, they look silly.

Fiddlebacks were considered funny looking even back in the old days. Clergy were prohibited from buying new chasubles in either gothic or medieval designs. They could however continue to wear what was already stocking the sacristy and many wore their chasubles until they truned to rags, lest they resort to wearing the bulletprooof vests.

“Modern” chasubles today are most commonly produced in the* gothic* (very full, almost square) and *medieval *(less full, more rounded) designs today and that’s what I far prefer.

Your poll is misleading…

You list “Gothic Vestments and Fiddleback” (two distinct styles) as a choice, but you fail to mention “Gothic” by itself or “Gothic and Medieval.”

I much prefer the gothic and medieval chasubles which are the same as the “modern” design compared to the “fiddlebacks” (Roman or French chasubles) which look a great deal like bulletproof vests. In brief, they look silly.

Fiddlebacks were considered funny looking even back in the old days. Clergy were prohibited from buying new chasubles in either gothic or medieval designs. They could however continue to wear what was already stocking the sacristy and many wore their chasubles until they truned to rags, lest they resort to wearing the bulletprooof vests.

“Modern” chasubles today are most commonly produced in the* gothic* (very full, almost square) and *medieval *(less full, more rounded) designs today and that’s what I far prefer.

I like fiddlebacks for their historical value, but that dosen’t keep them from looking foolish…

[quote=mpav]vaguely related: How many priests wear a beretta anymore? I only ask because mine does, and it made me realize how much I miss seeing them.
[/quote]

The pastor at my diocese affiliated parish still wears a cassock and beretta, but it was only recently until he started doing so. By recently, 2 or 3 years probably.

I am very sorry I didn’t put gothic only. I was about to include gothic only but then I only had 4 options and I wasn’t ready to be barked at or have nasty comments directed at me for not including the modern vestments. So if you want gothic only just go on “mix of old and modern”.
I in no way desired to alienate anyone. I maybe should not have put a mix of old and modern but I do have to admit that modern vestments do look like gothic ones but in a great number of cases are plain .
As for the biretta, I’ll mention it in another thread that can be all for the traditional things.

I like anything that doesn’t distract me. I suppose if to ornate the “fiddlebacks” would be just as bad as a whacky looking modern vestment might be. It seems to me that far to much time is being spent on what something looks like rather than what’s going on which detracts from the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. I will say that a very ornate chalice would appeal to me more than a very ornate fiddleback because it emphasizes the Real Presence. I don’t think that what the priest is wearing emphasizes this as much. Basically, I like things that don’t draw our eyes to the priest but to the Real Presence.

Call me a convert :wink: - but, could someone please post a picture of a fiddleback? I would not know what one looks like…

http://www.paxhouse.com/vestments/v175-2.jpghttp://www.paxhouse.com/vestments/v175-1.jpg

These are 'fiddlebacks". More properly they are called Roman Vestments.

Very beautiful. Thank you!

Roman vestments are “medieval” vestments. Gothic vestments were kept in Northern Europe while Roman Vestments were kept in SOuthern Europe. Learn up your history.

I prefer Roman vestments becuase they emphasize the Romanness of the Roman Catholic Church and they are nothing like what Protestants wear for their liturgies.

The Roman vestments also have their regional variations such as the Polish, Spanish, French and et cetera

[quote=Nota Bene]Your poll is misleading…

I like fiddlebacks for their historical value, but that dosen’t keep them from looking foolish…
[/quote]

I like them all, and it really doesn’t matter which they use as long as they use them…(to me at least)

[quote=katolik]Roman vestments are “medieval” vestments. Gothic vestments were kept in Northern Europe while Roman Vestments were kept in SOuthern Europe. Learn up your history.

I prefer Roman vestments becuase they emphasize the Romanness of the Roman Catholic Church and they are nothing like what Protestants wear for their liturgies.

The Roman vestments also have their regional variations such as the Polish, Spanish, French and et cetera
[/quote]

You are wrong…

newadvent.org/cathen/03639a.htm

You made the post assuming everyone knew what a fiddleback was. I have been Roman Catholic for 49 years and never heard of “fiddleback”. What is it?

It’s funny. I like both but for a long time I didn’t care for the ‘fiddleback’ chasubles. They looked funny to me but now I like them as much as ‘gothic’ styles. I now really appreciate the elaborate embroidery and materials that some of them have. They can be exquisite. I also like the drape and flow of Gothic chasubles. Come to think of it I really like Eastern vestments too and sort of wish Western vestments were as elaborate and colorful.

I think the important thing is that we encourage and aspire to have vestments that are beautiful, dignified, and well-made, wether simple or elaborate, Gothic or Fiddleback.

I’m for anything that is tasteful and gives a sense of the proper solemnity of the Mass. I’m in the Diocese of Phoenix and I’m just out and out tired of seeing ‘Southwestern sytle patterns’ and paisley designs. I agree with Bear06 though that before I really worried about the vestments I’d start with the sacred vessels, then the tabernacle, in fact it’d be a while before I got myself into a stitch about the style of vestments.

[quote=kk1727]I’m for anything that is tasteful and gives a sense of the proper solemnity of the Mass. I’m in the Diocese of Phoenix and I’m just out and out tired of seeing ‘Southwestern sytle patterns’ and paisley designs. I agree with Bear06 though that before I really worried about the vestments I’d start with the sacred vessels, then the tabernacle, in fact it’d be a while before I got myself into a stitch about the style of vestments.
[/quote]

You’re lucky your priest has designs. I remember one priest I encountered whose vestments looked like he’d just bought a swath of polyester from the local fabric store and cut a hole in the top. No designs, no patterns, nothing.

I prefer the new design, but I appreciate the intricacies and attention to detail of the traditional fiddlebacks. The EWTN priests have some very lovely vestments on their daily Mass.

Then there’s the chalice made out of what looks like clay that the priest at my mom’s church uses. I suppose someone will say, “That’s the way it was done in the early church.” :confused:

Then there’s the chalice made out of what looks like clay that the priest at my mom’s church uses. I suppose someone will say, “That’s the way it was done in the early church.” :confused:

Argh! I hate those. Hopefully some will adhere to RS and get rid of them.

Just as an aside…I always remember being struck when an Opus Dei member told me that sometimes when people donate jewelry to them they take the precious stones and have them put into the inside of the chalice. I think that’s a beautiful way to belief in the Real Presence. Only the best for Our Lord!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.