Fidel Castro dead: Cuban television

reuters.com/article/us-cuba-castro-idUSKBN13L044?il=0

It seems surreal that one of the men responsible for the Cuban Missile Crisis 50 years ago would only have his obituary run today…

“We didn’t start the fire”

What’s surreal about running an obituary today if he died Friday? It’s just now Saturday in the eastern time zone. Being it beyond my paygrade to know his heart and mind at the moment of his death, I shall simply pray for his soul and that he may RIP. Amen.

May God have mercy on his soul.

Eternal rest grant him, O Lord
And let perpetual light shine upon him.
May his soul, and the souls of all the faithful departed,
Through the mercy of God
Rest in peace.
Amen.

I meant that this was a mover and shaker from an important world event from 50 years ago. It just seems unbelievable he had been on the world stage for so long. He outlasted ten presidents (had he gone on for another 2 months, it would have been eleven) and some 600 assassination attempts. I was just marveling that he had lived to where he’d be talked about in the present tense in 2016.

And yes. While I have very little regard for how he ruled Cuba, I will pray for mercy on his soul and that he rest in peace as well.

I agree with you. There were times when I wondered if he really was alive! I travelled to Cuba a few years ago and I was really hesitant to do so since I didn’t like the political situation there at all, and why would you want to financially support a country that you were concerned about?

Anyhow, for all those fans of Castro, they really should immerse themselves into the country for a few days, travel around the dirt roads and visit the locals. Everyone from tour bus operators to our resort staff were placed there on political favor. These were the best jobs for the average fellow, other than professional careers like doctors and teachers. The rest were condemned to farm labor and things like that. They were well educated though and they could go far in secondary education if they wanted to and if there was a need (say for medical vocations).

There is soooo much visible poverty outside the tourist-y areas and even simple things like garbage pickup seemed non-existent (lots of trash laying around in communities). It’s a shame that such a beautiful country has had to suffer so much. You also had to be very careful what you asked people and they were very, very discreet about what they would answer.

There was a story told to me (very discreetly) while on my travels in Cuba…

After the revolution, there was an old man sitting quietly by himself on the shore looking pensively out at sea. He was asked by a visitor, “Was it worth it? All the bloodshed? All the pain? All the upheaval? Was it really so terrible that the wealthy had nice things like pools in their backyard and nice cars to drive when there were so many that didn’t have much?” and the tired old man looked up and defiantly said…

“If I couldn’t have a pool in my backyard, why should he?”…and then looked out to the sea again.

It’s chilling really, even though I don’t think that was a true story, it was meant to convey the general feeling.

Even after all that bloodshed, many Cubans still held onto this sense of forcefully (violently) righting poverty and social justice issues. That’s the only reason Fidel was successful, he had the mass support of the poor (exploited class envy).

Honestly I think this apologism for Batista’s regime is really evil and should be avoided. Batista ruled over a Cuba of organized crime, extreme poverty and political repression. It wasn’t just that the rich had nice things, there was a huge lifestyle gap between those who lived in abject poverty and the elite. He destroyed any semblance of democracy in the country, and was an evil, evil person. You can’t criticize Castro’s regime for those things and then let Batista off the hook. He was at least as bad as Castro.

May the Lord have Mercy.

Actually, Batista ruled over a Cuba that had a large middle class and one of the highest standards of living in Latin America.

On his judgement day (which was yesterday), Fidel Castro will not be able to say: “Lord, but you shoulda seen what the guy before me did!” The very limited things I said are all on Fidel, not Batista or the Americans (although not innocent by any means, they are another favorite fallguy for Castro failures). Believe me, there are a lot more things I could say about how contemporary Cubans are living but didn’t.

What I did say though that I shouldn’t have, was the “mass support of the poor” who were exploited by Fidel (taking advantage of their poverty and inflaming class envy so they would rise up and shed blood for him and propel him to power). I shouldn’t have said “mass support” but rather “a large enough number of them”. Although plenty rose up on their free will, many didn’t have a choice as they were forced to fight and kill or be killed by Castro’s thugs.

LIVE: Outpouring of emotion in Miami in wake of Castro’s death. cbs5az.com/category/301274/breaking-news-video-channel-6

My co-worker at the parish who is Cuban and had to flee the country says she is greatly relieved. Says “my people have suffered enough”.
The Cuban government took literally every home in her family. Says it will never go back to the way it was decades before the country was ransacked.
She’s happy in the U.S.

Death really is the great equalizer isn’t it?

Sooner or later now matter how mighty or lowly we were in life, we find ourselves before the judgement throne of God. May God have mercy on his soul and on all of the recently deceased.

That he outlived 10 (almost 11) American presidents is an indictment. For the sake of the Cuban people, it is a shame that none of those assassination attempts were successful.

Lord have mercy on his soul.

Cuban exiles pour onto Miami streets to celebrate Fidel Castro’s death

The streets in Havana, where a nine-day mourning period was announced, appeared to remain quiet. Not so in Miami, the city across the Florida Straits shaped by exiles who fled Fidel Castro’s 1959 revolution.

You’ll see a lot of this over the weekend and wonder why how a civilized people could ever celebrate the death of someone. Their grandparents ran for their lives and left everything behind, all their property and business holdings not to mention many extended family members and those too old to flee. Those who stayed because they thought things would work out and be fine lost much of what they had anyhow, including their freedom. That’s why so many lost their lives trying to flee Cuba, it had to be done illegally (dangerous) since no one was free to leave the country unless permission was granted.

In Havana and the rest of Cuba, only mourning will be shared openly in public. Very small numbers would dare show relief.

President-elect Donald Trump on Saturday marked the death of Cuba’s “brutal dictator,” saying Fidel Castro left a legacy of “unimaginable suffering.”

“Today, the world marks the passing of a brutal dictator who oppressed his own people for nearly six decades. Fidel Castro’s legacy is one of firing squads, theft, unimaginable suffering, poverty and the denial of fundamental human rights,” Trump said in a statement.

“While Cuba remains a totalitarian island, it is my hope that today marks a move away from the horrors endured for too long, and toward a future in which the wonderful Cuban people finally live in the freedom they so richly deserve,” he added.

thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/307560-trump-castro-left-a-legacy-of-unimaginable-suffering

I agree with Trump in this regard.

I pray for the Cuban people to find relief from their suffering.

Mike Pence:

The tyrant #Castro is dead. New hope dawns. We will stand with the oppressed Cuban people for a free and democratic Cuba. Viva Cuba Libre!

twitter.com/mike_pence/status/802557437786066944

Ike, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Reagan – I count six that he outlived. Carter, the two Bushes, and Clinton are still alive.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.