Fifth precept of the Church

Does the fifth precept of the Church, which is helping to provide for the needs of the Church (e.g giving money), also apply directly to your geographical parish? Or if I, for instance, donated $1,000,000 to another parish, would that suffice in satisfying the fifth precept?

You are under the authority of your bishop and are obligated to support your particular Church (which is the whole of the territory of your bishop and his missions and endeavors). You have an obligation to support the Church according to the following canons outlined below. I

would say that it is implicit in the diocesan/parish structure that you will support the territorial parish and the diocese because you are to support the ministers and divine worship (both of which are located in your parish).

The bishop is your pastor and you owe support to the particular Church under his authority (diocese). The territorial parish is an extension of the bishops’ ministry through the pastor he commissions, sends, and assigns to you. The bishop could oblige you to support your pastor by decree, but most bishops would not think they have to **tell **you something so obvious. (of course, they might be wrong b/c many people have to be told obvious things)

Can. 209 §1. The Christian faithful, even in their own manner of acting, are always obliged to maintain communion with the Church.

§2. With great diligence they are to fulfill the duties which they owe to the universal Church and the particular church to which they belong according to the prescripts of the law.

Can. 222 §1. The Christian faithful are obliged to assist with the needs of the Church so that the Church has what is necessary for divine worship, for the works of the apostolate and of charity, and for the decent support of ministers.

Can. 1260 The Church has an innate right to require from the Christian faithful those things which are necessary for the purposes proper to it.

Can. 1261 §1. The Christian faithful are free to give temporal goods for the benefit of the Church.

§2. The diocesan bishop is bound to admonish the faithful of the obligation mentioned in ⇒ can. 222, §1 and in an appropriate manner to urge its observance.

Can. 1262 The faithful are to give support to the Church by responding to appeals and according to the norms issued by the conference of bishops.

Can. 1266 In all churches and oratories which are, in fact, habitually open to the Christian faithful, including those which belong to religious institutes, the local ordinary can order the taking up of a special collection for specific parochial, diocesan, national, or universal projects; this collection must be diligently sent afterwards to the diocesan curia.

Well, maybe it seems obvious, but I attend my actual geographic parish probably once a year. Money I give to Church goes elsewhere besides my geographical parish…unless I find out it must be otherwise.

About the bold: does that mean we are always obliged (assuming no extraneous circumstances like being in poverty) to put $$$ in a second collection basket that is made for various appeals every now and then?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.