Fifth Republican Debate on CNN: Everything You Need To Know

Fifth Republican Debate on CNN: Everything You Need To Know

Candidates participating

6:00 p.m. debate - Four candidates will take the stage for the first debate. Mike Huckabee and Rick Santorum will be in the center. George Pataki will be on Huckabee’s right, and Lindsey Graham will be on Santorum’s left.

8:30 p.m. debate - Nine candidates qualified for the prime-time stage. Donald Trump will be center stage. To his left: Ted Cruz, Jeb Bush, Chris Christie and Rand Paul. To his right: Ben Carson, Marco Rubio, Carly Fiorina and John Kasich.

Rules

To qualify, candidates had to meet one of three criteria given by the network: to poll by an average of at least 3.5 percent nationally; at least 4 percent in Iowa; or at least 4 percent in New Hampshire, according to CNN. Nine candidates made this cut, and four made the cut for the early debate, with the remaining candidates who are polling at at least 1 percent making the undercard.

Read more at: hngn.com/articles/160553/20151215/fifth-republican-debate-everything-need-know.htm

The big losers tonight will be anyone perceived to be soft on Islamic terrorism.

Cristie has tried and convicted terrorists; he has defunded Planned Parenthood and their offices have shut down in some cases in NJ, he vetoed a bill making same-sex marriage legal in NJ.

:thumbsup:

Eastern time?

There’s quite a bit of evidence that indicates that the Fort Dix plot was manufactured by the FBI and it sent five innocent men to jail.

Under Christie, New Jersey’s economy has nose-dived. It’s credit rating has been cut nine times and is the second lowest in the country.

Its economy has never recovered at the same rate as the rest of the country, and it’s unemployment rate is one of the highest in the country.

Public employees, like fire fighters and teachers, made huge sacrifices in COL increases and medical insurance payments in return for Christie’s promises that he would fully fund the pension fund. He’s broken every one of his promises and left the pension fund on the verge of collapse. However, he’s given more than $2.1 billion In tax breaks to industry.

The idea that he could do similar damage to the country’s economy strikes fear in my heart.

He vetoed a bill to raise the minimum wage to $8.50 an hour in a state with one of the highest costs of living. He’s also vetoed gun-control legislation when pressured by the gun lobby.

Anyone who dares to question him over his policy in a public meeting is answered with rudeness and belligerence. He’s arrogant and bullying. He called the head of the police union a “pig,” harking back to the hippie taunts of the sixties.

He’s certainly not someone that I would want to be the face of my country on the world stage, and I’m ashamed that he’s a Catholic.

Poor Mike Huckabee and Rick Santorum, the previous 2 winners of the Republican Iowa caucuses. Still relegated to the kids table in a year like this.

Poor Mike Huckabee and Rick Santorum. The 2 previous winners of the Iowa Republican caucuses. Still relegated to the kids table in a yr like this.

So do ya’ll think with Trump’s 41% in a national poll well ahead of Cruz and Rubio who are 2nd and 3rd at just 14% and 10%, that they need to go after the Donald and risk alienating his supporters?

cnn.com/2015/12/14/politics/donald-trump-new-poll-monmouth/

I am curious about what Republicans here think about the candidates’ religious backgrounds. Is it a factor for you? Does it matter if some are Catholic, some baptized Catholic but left the church, a Seventh-Day Adventist, a mainline church, and one vaguely Presbyterian.

It seems as if religion isn’t a talking point as much as it was for Romney and Obama.

ComplineSan Fran, interesting question. I’m curious too now that you mentioned it.

more ashamed than Joe Biden and Nancy Pelosi being Catholic?

Is this all? I was worried he might have been so bankrupt as to support abortion, wrong party I guess.

Cristie is honest, I guess like Trump, they’ve called people names. We have to live with it. At least it’s honest.

Christie said Patrick Colligan, a 24-year veteran of the Franklin Township police force who became president of the New Jersey State PBA last year, is a “pension pig.’’

app.com/story/news/politics/new-jersey/chris-christie/2015/12/01/christie-police-union-leader-pension-pig/76624082/

Seems context is important.

Colligan has a salary of $121,000 and would receive a yearly $78,650 pension if he retired next year, according to Data Universe and the state online pension calculator.

Those out-of-orbit pensions for government employees is wrong. So one has problems with what he said?

One certainly lavished a number of anti-Cristie talking points on this thread. A bit interesting.

As a Catholic, I believe it is shameful to vote for anti-lifers like Clinton and Obama and some others.

That would be your opinion, right? It’s not actually Church teaching that someone can’t vote for Clinton and Obama and some others, is it? Well unfortunately not for Obama now since he has already been elected twice.

So, one doesn’t care if innocent millions of lives are snuffed out? Shocking. :whacky:

Heightened racial strife,

Weaker nation being attacked,

Christians and others slaughtered overseas?

Who said anything about doesn’t care? And I know our nation was attacked under the previous President. The causes of racial strife run deeper than Obama being elected and reelected President. Or on second thought, I have wondered if that has had something to do with it.

But naughty, naughty; he hugged Obama. . . . :tsktsk:

Pro-Life is a core value, that virtually isn’t a politician that fails terrifically because they do not hold pro-life values, one can look at the Clintons, Obama and so on. A recipe for disaster.

Christie is far from honest; he’s a blatant liar.

He lied during his first gubernatorial campaign when he told public employees that he had no intention of cutting their pensions. It was the first thing he did when hen he took office.

He lied when he blamed the Obama administration for NJ’s loss of $400 million in state funding for education, saying that his education commissioner, Brett Schundler, had supplied the data that was missing from the application. When that was proven to be untrue, he claimed Schundler had lied to him about the missing data. Schundler provided emails that proved he had told Christie that the mistake was his.

He lied during his first campaign when he said his opponents were under investigation. They were not, they sued him, and he had to make a public retraction of his claims.

He lied about the ARC tunnel costs and NJ’s share of them when he cancelled the project.

And he lied repeatedly about Bridgegate and is continuing to lie.

He lied when he said that he and the King of Jordan were close personal friends; he had met him once at a dinner, but claiming intimacy allowed him to accept a $30,000 weekend at a desert resort with his family, which violate the state’s code of ethics.

I find your comments about “talking points” offensive. Christie has been a terrible governor. His support among the Republicans in the state is practically non-existent. His pro-life stance is one he came to late in life, just about the time he decided he needed the support of the pro-life base. And frankly, I don’t care what he says his stand is on abortion or gay marriage because he is a liar and I don’t believe anything a liar says.

Sorry, but are you saying that anyone who supports woman’s health choices fails as a politician? Or as a Republican politician? You cite the Clintons and President Obama, so that can’t be it. I guess I’m confused.

Or not Catholic.

**Marco Rubio refuses to ‘concede’ the Constitutional case on gay ‘marriage’ (video) **

WASHINGTON, D.C., December 15, 2015 (LifeSiteNews) – The Constitution does not need to be amended on the issue of marriage, because nothing in the Constitution requires that marriage be redefined, Sen. Marco Rubio told “Meet the Press” on Sunday. The justices he would appoint to the Supreme Court would understand that and vote accordingly, he said.

Rubio, who has gained in recent presidential polls, says that he does not believe the Obergefell v. Hodges decision is “settled law. Any future Supreme Court can change it.”

“I will appoint Supreme Court justices that will interpret the Constitution as originally constructed,” the Florida senator told NBC’s Chuck Todd.

lifesitenews.com/news/marco-rubio-refuses-to-concede-the-constitutional-case-on-gay-marriage-vide

Rubio made the news on this in the past few days as well which I heartily agree with. I thought this was important and was not posted on this forum. Of course, one might want to read different sources but numerous articles are out there.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.