Fight the Da Vinci Code!!!

Check this out:

churchofthemasses.blogspot.com/2006/03/dvc-othercott-reminder-spread-word.html

Spread the word! :thumbsup:

It’s strictly a work of fiction based very loosely on some fact and alot of speculation!!! If you don’t want to see it, then don’t go. By coming up with all these silly little campaigns to boycott it, you are actually giving it more publicity, thus raising folk’s curiosity.

[quote=mikew262]It’s strictly a work of fiction based very loosely on some fact and alot of speculation!!!
[/quote]

Sadly, many people believe everything they read and see. Hence they ignore the part about fiction and speculation. :frowning:

[quote=mikew262]It’s strictly a work of fiction based very loosely on some fact and alot of speculation!!! If you don’t want to see it, then don’t go. By coming up with all these silly little campaigns to boycott it, you are actually giving it more publicity, thus raising folk’s curiosity.
[/quote]

This book is believed by millions to be true. In fact, on the first page the author has a “fact page,” in which he lists a number of “facts” he written about. The last item on the list states that all descriptions of art, history, etc. in the book are completely true. This book is presented as fact, and millions believe it is, growing more everyday. Every day, people leave Christ over this. I have heard of young people refusing to be confirmed because they have read the book. Nothing we can do can give the book more publicity than it already has; the media and the books stores have already drummed up more than enough publicity for it, and the movie will only bring more. We need to fight against these things. THe idea of seeing another movie is a fantastic idea. It is one that is being echoed all around the Christian community. If we could truly get this idea out there, if the Da Vinci Code was slaughtered at the box office, it would send a message to Hollywood. If The Passion of the Christ trumps the Code, in its earnings, it would be a fantastic victory.

I believe it was Jeffery Lyons who pointed out that films (like the DaVinci Code) get made not because of box office, but in order to impress the powers that be in Hollywood, as “serious filmmakers,” so that those who make them will get accolades from their peers. They could care less how many people go to see it, especially if it is a message film in which Hollywood values are supported. Such a sad comment, but all too true! :mad:

[quote=mikew262]It’s strictly a work of fiction based very loosely on some fact and alot of speculation!!! If you don’t want to see it, then don’t go. By coming up with all these silly little campaigns to boycott it, you are actually giving it more publicity, thus raising folk’s curiosity.
[/quote]

Did you read the link? It acknowleges your very point.

[quote=Della]I believe it was Jeffery Lyons
[/quote]

It may have been. I heard it from Michael Medved myself.

[quote=Scott Waddell]Did you read the link? It acknowleges your very point.
[/quote]

Yep.

[quote=Della]I believe it was Jeffery Lyons who pointed out that films (like the DaVinci Code) get made not because of box office, but in order to impress the powers that be in Hollywood, as “serious filmmakers,” so that those who make them will get accolades from their peers. They could care less how many people go to see it, especially if it is a message film in which Hollywood values are supported. Such a sad comment, but all too true! :mad:
[/quote]

I disagree Della, a movie like Brokeback Mountain may fit your description, but the DaVinci Code is set to destroy all box office records if the book sales are indicadive of anything.

This movie will be HUGE! unfortunately…and I’m sorry to say it, but the majority of American Catholics will see it and rave about it out of ignorance.

I think that link has a great idea:

Save the date now. May 19th, or May 20th. No later than Sunday, May 21st – that’s the day the ballot box closes. You’ll get a vote, the only vote Hollywood recognizes: The power of cold hard cash laid down on a box office window on opening weekend.

Use your vote. Don’t throw it away. Vote for a movie* other* than* DVC*. If enough people do it, the powers that be will notice. They won’t have a choice.

It certainly does not call attention to the Da Vinci code movie if you protest by going to another movie that day. Thanks for spreading the word, JSmitty!

[/quote]

I’m getting tired of hearing this. Whether I choose to see it or not, millions WILL go, no matter what anyone says or does. What about them–the one’s who will see it and believe the garbage they have seen and end up leaving the Faith? I know of several people that have and I’m sure others do as well.

The idea is not so much to keep people from seeing the movie (I don’t care if they waste their time and money doing so or not, though I hate to see Dan Brown get richer). The idea is to educate people so they don’t get misinformed in a vacuum and have no defenses against this tripe. Sometimes one has to think of others, and beyond their own selves.

[/quote]

Obviously it is fiction, but that is not how it is portrayed. Mr. Brown goes to great lengths to give the impression that what he wrote is true. Even the commercials claim that the movie exposes the biggest cover up in history. The author has made the book seem as though it were historical fiction. Most people believe that the story of the book is fiction, but that it is historically true. That is exactly what we need to fight against. The entire book is false, not just the narrative. Furthermore, as Catholics, if we do not speak out against such blasphemy, we are committing the sin of omission. Even the “Democratic Party at prayer” has amazingly (maybe there is hope for them :stuck_out_tongue: ) launched a campaign against this denigrating and defaming film. See here. It’s better to declare the truth and be rejected than to withhold it just to be accepted.

“He who knows the truth and does not speak it is a miserable coward and not a Christian!”
-Pope St. Pius V

“It is a great gain when error and false teachers are exposed, for, then, they cease to deceive the simple.”
-Cardinal John Henry Newman

“Not to oppose error is to approve of it, and not to defend truth is to suppress it, and, indeed, to neglect to confound evil men, when we can do it, is not less a sin than to encourage them.”
-Pope Felix III

“He that sees another in error, and endeavors not to correct it, testifies himself to be in error.”
-Pope St. Leo I

“The power of evil men lives on the cowardice of the good.”
-St. John Bosco

“When they sin, rebuke them in the presence of all that the rest also may have fear.”
-St. Paul (1 Timothy 5:20)

We need to draw attention to fallacies like the Da Vinci Code. By doing so, we are not helping it, we are making a fool and mockery out of it and witnessing to the Truth of the Catholic Faith.

Hmmm, if we could print off tracts debunking the main points of DVC and sneak into theatres to leave them on seats …

But then there have been books and documentaries made debunking it - if people are determined to believe rubbish about the RCC then I think they will, sadly

This is a tough balancing act. We certainly don’t want to draw unnecessary attention to this book and movie but we do need to educate people about the serious errors in this book. As Sandra Meisel (historian and co-author of The Da Vinci Hoax) points out, nearly everything in the Da Vinci Code is wrong! Somehow we need to let people know why.

Error Must be Exposed

[quote=Mike_D30]I disagree Della, a movie like Brokeback Mountain may fit your description, but the DaVinci Code is set to destroy all box office records if the book sales are indicadive of anything.

This movie will be HUGE! unfortunately…and I’m sorry to say it, but the majority of American Catholics will see it and rave about it out of ignorance.
[/quote]

Sadly, you’re right. The people who want to see this film are going to see it anyway. Let’s just hope there aren’t as many as are being predicted!

[quote=Della]Let’s just hope there aren’t as many as are being predicted!
[/quote]

There will be millions. :frowning:

Actually Fr. Mike Barrett (the priest that appears on NBC explaining Opus Dei) said something in an Evening of Recollection that made me optimistic. He said that, now that DVC has brought orthodox Catholicism front and center, it is a widespread opportunity for us to engage in dialog and conversation. In a way, this has helped accelerate conversations and awareness of orthodox and heretic ideas faster than without it. He added, with this book we are now several years ahead in the conversation, and we should take advantage of it. I agree.

For those who left the church, they will find emptiness without the church anyway, the DVC doesn’t lead to edify anyone. All the suggestions lead to deadends.

And if you open the conversation, it’s not deemed as ‘oh so religious,’ but rather taken in as contemporary and the walls are not so high.

in XT.

[quote=Scott Waddell]It may have been [Jeffery Lyons]. I heard it from Michael Medved myself.
[/quote]

You’re right. It’s Michael Medved. Don’t know why I wrote Jeffery Lyons. :confused: :o

[quote=JSmitty2005]There will be millions. :frowning:
[/quote]

You’re most probably right. But let’s hope and pray you’re wrong. Yes? :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.