Fighting with depression and anxiety and fear of the end times

Lately i have been finding myself more and more worried about the future and the end of the world. it started about a year ago, and i dealt with constant fear, and it is what originally lead me back to the church, and since then i have gone to church every Sunday possible, gone to confession almost every weekend, and generally invested a lot of my time into praying and trying to please God, and for that i am very glad. the problem is that i fear, to the point of it dominating my thoughts, the end times and if they are coming soon. i fear things like persecution and torture and the idea that no matter what i do, if I am alive during the great tribulation, that i will fail no matter how hard i try. i know nobody can say for sure when the end is, or what will be afoot during those times, but some of the threads on this forum are utterly horrifying, to be honest, in the way the end times are described, and i find that i become constantly terrified that no matter what i do i am going to fail. i fear so many things it ruins a lot of things that i love. sometimes I am so depressed and fearful that i shake uncontrollably. the honest truth is that i am currently in the military, but live 3000 miles away from my family, and although i have been in for 2 years now and should be used to it, i still really want to be near the people i love, and that adds to the anxiety.
I would just love this depression to go away so i can finally find joy in things again. :blush:
there is an upside though, and that is that i am ALWAYS happiest at church. personaly prayer does not seem to be as effective, but i still pray all the time.
any advice from anybody on what to do?
and maybe some prayers too if its not too much to ask.

-Cory

May the Lord grant you His peace and encourage you to avoid negative projections of the future.

Flourish not just survive
God, please transform into trust my concern regarding the future of our country, our world, and Christian faith before the rise of materialism and before fanatics who plan destruction and domination.

Give me trust even were Your Sacramental Church to shrink to a remnant, as among the few priests who remain, more may succumb to burnout and death. Send the Holy Spirit to restore the Church to the enlightened gospel image that Jesus Christ, standing in St Peter’s and all churches, would demand. Inspire the Church with radical gospel response to all in need.

Help me to have faith in You despite the multiplicity of human suffering. Give me trust in You when I implore Your mercy for someone’s painful need, yet there seems no response. Heal my anxiety for loved ones, regarding their stresses, uncertainties of income, disappointments, and regarding health and relationship issues. Please protect, and lead them all into heaven. Thank You for the ways that You care for them.

Heal my concern whether I ‘disappoint’ You before the urgent need of prayer for family, priests, others’ souls, Church, and world. Scripture names Moses as “the humblest man on earth”, yet he successfully importuned God to change outcomes for his people despite their sin. So might not someone as negligible as me, bargain for something of God’s requisite mercy and healing for Church, world and family?

Dear God, You created an immense universe with innumerable galaxies. On one small planet in a huge galaxy, You gave everlasting souls to human creatures to share in Your life. Thank You for this wondrous gift! You gave us free will to accept or reject Your love, but many live as intelligent animals intended only for this world—causing spiritual malaise.

Have mercy on those who, seeing the resultant evil and pain, reject You in doubt and sorrow. Let Your mercy prevail over the pleasant distractions of this world, and its difficulties and sorrows. 

God, have mercy on planet Earth and its inhabitants. Do not let it be spoiled or destroyed, until the time ordained for Earth to “pass away.” As Saint Paul tells us, “all creation is struggling in the great act of trying to be reborn” and the time will come “when the lion and the lamb lay down together.” May all welcome this rebirth, of the “new heavens and new earth” that You promise. In our trials and sufferings, let us find You, our God. Let Your love triumph over all.

Hi Cory.Know that Jesus is able to complete the work He started in you.As you stated none of us knows when the end will come but we have confidence that our Lord will give us whatever Graces we need to make it home.I will keep you in prayer.Peace,Rocky.

Our Father, Who art in heaven,
Hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.
Thy Will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil. Amen.

St. Michael the Archangel,
defend us in battle.
Be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the Devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray,
and do thou,
O Prince of the heavenly hosts,
by the power of God,
thrust into hell Satan,
and all the evil spirits,
who prowl about the world
seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen

I find that praying the Divine Mercy chaplet in front of the tabernacle or at Adoration gives me a sense of peace.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
and blessed is the Fruit Of Thy Womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death.
Amen

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
and blessed is the Fruit Of Thy Womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
Amen

Praying that you find the inner peace only Our Lord can give.

Praying that you find peace, live in the present, and cherish every moment with the Lord, and that you place all your trust in Jesus, who will not let you down, not now nor in the future. Dear Lord, let this soul leave his past to your mercy, his future to your providence and live his present-time solely in your love. I ask this in Jesus’ Name. Amen.

Cory, reading the Psalms has always been comforting to me; and remember that our Lord Jesus says, “Peace I bequeath to you, my own peace I give you, a peace which the world cannot give, this is my gift to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid.” John 14:27

May the peace of God which is beyond our understanding will guard your hearts and your thoughts
in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:7

That you may not worry nor be fearful~

Hail Mary, full of grace, The Lord is with thee.
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death. Amen

Cory,
I sympathize with you. In these stressful times of our world, it is not difficult to worry about the future and what the future holds. However, we must remember that God is in control - always. Nothing will happen without Him allowing it to. So, I will pray for peace in your heart, and that our Dear Lord will fill it with comfort and love. I feel as you do often. We are all here to help each other. I will pray the rosary for you tonight.

Blessings,
Judi

Praying for you Cory…Please enlist St Michael (the great warrior that he is) to help you to seek and find peace and joy in the Lord.

Imagine if Jesus had been terrified of His crucifixion throughout His life and didn’t teach The Word. While He was scared in the Agony in the Garden, it did not stop Him from teaching God’s truth. He asked God for strength and God saw Him through all the way to His death. My point is, if you are terrified of what is to come then you might miss out on doing some great things in the present.

I know that’s easier said than done, but just keep that in mind that we are all called to do great things in the here and now. And remember, we know how this all ends. It’s in the Bible. We win. :slight_smile:

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
Amen.

this is very profound i think, i like it very much, and i very much appreciate the post. i can’t help but smile when i realize the truth of it. I really need to remember when Jesus asked if there are any among us who by worrying can add a single day to our lives.
i also really appreciate all the prayers from everybody, they seem to be helping to be honest.
I will keep you all in my prayers.

My two cents,
this is not heaven. Even if you live to be 110 this is a very brief life.
This is a brief ocean voyage on a Hellish ship, with a crew of brutes, the Devil for a captain, scurvy in every meal, dysentery in the hold, and murder in the bilges.
But at your destination is someone who loves you very very much ; God.
And his location, your destination, is eternal paradise. when this voyage is ended, it will quickly recceed into the past and you will either forget it, or with time and distance it will become only an interesting / amusing anecdote.
It may help sometimes to think of the harsh present, or the dreaded future, in the past tense.

I will pray for you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.