Filipino beheaded for protecting himself from rape? I don't understand Muslim reasoning for this.

I am disturbed by what I read in the newspapers today.

See:

globalnation.inquirer.net/news/breakingnews/view_article.php?article_id=71122

and

globalnation.inquirer.net/news/breakingnews/view_article.php?article_id=71274

My countryman, a Filipino, was beheaded by sword for the crime of murder. He killed someone who tried to rape him and because of this, he was put in jail and shot twice on the left foot after he surrendered.

Because he killed his would-be rapist, the family had to beg the family of the man who tried to rape him to accept blood-money.

I really don’t understand their reasoning why the would-be-victim of a heineous crime of rape would be put to death for protecting himself and have to beg for his life from the family of the man who tried to do him wrong.

What should have my countryman have done?–Have himself raped so that he will not get executed. The way I see it, either way it was a “lose-lose” situation for him.

I have to mention, though, that there were good and well-meaning Muslims who helped him by contributing to put up the blood money needed in trying to save him.

Still, I really don’t understand why he had to be executed. It’s very confusing. :confused:

Was he not able to prove that the man he murdered was trying to rape him? Could that be the problem?

According to the newspaper reports (I am quoting the newpaper (in part), Philippine Daily Inquirer, June 14, 2007 page 2, I deleted the first part and last part of the article)

In December 2003, a Riyadh court found him guilty found him guilty of the charge of murder and frustrated murder, and sentenced him to 15 years and 1000 lashes.

The Cortez’ lawyers immediately filed an appeal. On Nov. 27, 2004, the court giving credence to Cortez’ claim that he killed the Pakistani in self-defense, reduced his jail sentence to 10 years.

Cornejos said the embassy negotiated with the family of the victim rwice, first in October 2005 and again in January 2006. Both efforts failed.

He said the embassy then turned to the victim’s brother who was working in Riyadh, but the brother ignored the offer.

Cornejos said the embassy then hired a Pakistani professional negotiator to convince the family of the victims to no avail.

Overseas Workers Welfare Administrator Marianito Roque said that not just Filipinos but even affluent and influential Saudis contributed to put up the blood money.

Cornejos explained that under the shariah law, the crime of murder has public and private rights aspects.

The victim’s family has the option of pardoning the killer and accepting blood money, in which the death sentence can be annuled.

Also another site you can look into:

abs-cbnnews.com/storypage.aspx?StoryId=80740

If the second court (Nov.27,2004) already took credence to his statement that it was self-defense, and shortened his jail term, how come his his death sentence remained? For that matter, if they took “credence” to my countryman’s self-defense reason, why was he even jailed in the first place? --for killing a man who tried to do him harm? Does he not have the right to defend himself?

In the first place, who was the real victim here? --the one who killed because he was trying to defend himself, or the one who got killed because he was trying to rape someone?

I really don’t understand why he had to be executed all because the family of his would-be rapist refused to accept blood money.

I find what happened to him unreasonable and unjust. I am trying to understand why Muslim courts thought he deserved to die for trying to defend himself.

But under sharia, aren’t the requirements to prove rape so out-of-this-world that it’s virtually impossible? I do know that with male/female rape, four witnesses are required to prove the woman’s case :eek:. Dunno if it’s different for male/male rape.

Unfortunately, because the Saudis are barbarians. The more I read about fundamentalist Islam, the more it disgusts me. I’m sure they didn’t even let him see a priest for Last Rites before the execution.

I will say a prayer that he made his peace with the Lord, and an act of contrition before we was murdered.

God Bless

Was the poor man a non-muslim? Under Shariah law a non-Muslim does not have the right to defend themselves against a Muslim. So if he was non-Muslim and killed a Muslim, no matter the fact of self defense he must be executed.

There is no reason why a victim who killes an attacker in self defense should be executed for the murder nor have to pay blood money. This is just one more case that shows that the Saudi’s are sill in the 700’s.

This is extremely sad. I do know based on a biography that I read of a Saudi princess that even Muslim women who have been raped could be put to death if she does not have witnesses to prove that she was raped. The rapist would just get a slap on the wrist. For a non-Muslim it is probably just as bad or worse. Many Filipinos go to Saudi Arabia for work and some of the atrocities I’ve heard especially done to the women are horriable. I’ve a couple uncles who worked in Saudi Arabia before immigrating to the states (my mother is a Filipina). They’ve never talked about their experiences there in great detail, though.

No one should be sentanced to death for defending his/her own life.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Originally Posted by **Nevarlander **But under sharia, aren’t the requirements to prove rape so out-of-this-world that it’s virtually impossible? I do know that with male/female rape, four witnesses are required to prove the woman’s case . Dunno if it’s different for male/male rape.

I agree with you. I find some of the rules in the sharia hard to understand. In the case of my countryman, I cannot believe that the one who is the victim is the one treated as the accused and sentenced to death. Where is justice in this case?

Originally Posted by **bilop **Unfortunately, because the Saudis are barbarians. The more I read about fundamentalist Islam, the more it disgusts me. I’m sure they didn’t even let him see a priest for Last Rites before the execution.

I will say a prayer that he made his peace with the Lord, and an act of contrition before we was murdered. God Bless

I have a friend who is from Saudi Arabia. I would not call him a barbarian as I do think of him as a good and educated person. Not all of them think and agree with their ways. However, I do agree with you that it can be dismaying to read things like this regarding fundamentalist Islam.

As much as I want to believe that some goodness can be found in Islam (courtesy of the good and kind Muslims that I have met)—reading about cases such as this one, can really make me wonder what is so great about Islam that Muslims believe it. I don’t see justice, I only see a lot of injustice.

I thank you, bilop, and all those who prayed for my countryman. May his soul rest in peace. :gopray2:

Originally Posted by **BelFarfalla **Was the poor man a non-muslim? Under Shariah law a non-Muslim does not have the right to defend themselves against a Muslim. So if he was non-Muslim and killed a Muslim, no matter the fact of self defense he must be executed.

There was no mention in the news what religion the man was. He may have been Catholic because it is the majority religion in my country.

It may have been possible that it was because of the difference in religion that my countryman was given a lopsided verdict that favored his assailant.

It is hard to believe that a religion that favors the UNJUST BELIEVER over the JUST UNBELIEVER is really from same God I believe in.

Originally Posted by **Sarabande **…Muslim women who have been raped could be put to death if she does not have witnesses to prove that she was raped. The rapist would just get a slap on the wrist. For a non-Muslim it is probably just as bad or worse.

When told that Muslims honors their women, I think twice and have a hard time agreeing. Perhaps in some ways they do honor their women. However, in many ways they don’t. Women are sometimes thought of and treated as inferior to Muslim men courtesy of what is writen in their holy book. In their religion, a woman who disobeys their rules are given harsher treatment. Such as in the case of the Saudi princess.

Of course, I am not generalizing. In my opinion, many, many Muslims are good people. Its just that I can see that sometimes, their religion allow and legitimizes many things that I find unfair and unjust. This case just gives me another reason why I do not believe and will never believe in Islam.

Btw, Sarabande, its always good to meet a fellow Filipino in CAF.:slight_smile:

There is no justice and never has been for the non-Muslim in a Muslim country. Convert, be enslaved, become a Dhimmi, or die are your choices in a Muslim dominated land. I don’t understand the brutality of it all but that is what it is.

CDL

Islam. Bringing you the best of the 7th century for 1400 years.

Wow… so you end up letting yourself get raped or killed by a muslim or defend yourself and get killed anyway…

Its the result of what happens when you follow a dangerous false prophet…

Every sect that I have seen with a false prophet in it has always ended up bad… Wouldn’t surprise me if the Antichrist stemmed from Islam(i.e. Madhi)

Do you mean the “best” or the “worst”?

Vickie

I feel so disappointed when i read about this. hmmm, i’m wondering why no Muslim poster here has commented about this…:rolleyes:

Sharia law is an abomination against mankind!

I have a friend who is from Saudi Arabia. I would not call him a barbarian as I do think of him as a good and educated person. Not all of them think and agree with their ways. However, I do agree with you that it can be dismaying to read things like this regarding fundamentalist Islam.

As much as I want to believe that some goodness can be found in Islam (courtesy of the good and kind Muslims that I have met)—reading about cases such as this one, can really make me wonder what is so great about Islam that Muslims believe it. I don’t see justice, I only see a lot of injustice.

I thank you, bilop, and all those who prayed for my countryman. May his soul rest in peace. :gopray2:

There was no mention in the news what religion the man was. He may have been Catholic because it is the majority religion in my country.

It may have been possible that it was because of the difference in religion that my countryman was given a lopsided verdict that favored his assailant.

It is hard to believe that a religion that favors the UNJUST BELIEVER over the JUST UNBELIEVER is really from same God I believe in.

It isn’t! The ‘god’ they follow, who speaks in the Quran is none other than the evil founder of that satanic cult, Muhammad!

When told that Muslims honors their women, I think twice and have a hard time agreeing. Perhaps in some ways they do honor their women. However, in many ways they don’t. Women are sometimes thought of and treated as inferior to Muslim men courtesy of what is writen in their holy book. In their religion, a woman who disobeys their rules are given harsher treatment. Such as in the case of the Saudi princess.

Of course, I am not generalizing. In my opinion, many, many Muslims are good people. Its just that I can see that sometimes, their religion allow and legitimizes many things that I find unfair and unjust. This case just gives me another reason why I do not believe and will never believe in Islam.

Btw, Sarabande, its always good to meet a fellow Filipino in CAF.:slight_smile:

They may be good people, but they go by the Quran which is the perfect manual for hatred! I find it very hard to believe that anyone who is instructed by such a book, could really be a good person!

you dont have proof

I know what you mean. I think if Byzantium had been more interested in catechesis than in enjoying the spoils of a rich city Islam might never have gained ascendency. I say this as a Byzantine Catholic. But who can tell for sure?

If a Madhi does come he may well be the anti-Christ. We know for certain that they have the spirit of anti-Christ now…or at least many do.

CDL

I wasn’t clear regarding the rape victim in the biography I read. The Saudi princess wasn’t raped. While she was in the hospital, she met a woman not of royal blood who was raped by her brother’s friends and ended up pregnant. After the baby was born, they executed her and hardly punished the boys who raped her. There was also a case of a friend of the Saudi princess’s Filipna servant. The friend (another Filipina) was went to work at another home where she basically became a sex slave to the sons. I think she eventually escaped, but it has been over a year since I read the biography. Then there were other accounts of young girls as young as 8 or 9 being whored out to the royal men, as this princess accidently discovered with her brother and his friends. It’s quite disturbing.

Also nice to hear from another Filipino. I’m only half though. My father is Caucasion. Do I still count? :slight_smile:

The woman who was raped was executed —for being raped? She was the victim in this crime! :frowning:

How can Muslims see this as a justice? It seems they’re pretty mixed up as to who is guilty–the victim or the perpetrator.

I find this really, really disturbing.:frowning:

Your Filipino blood/heritage will always be part of you. So, in my opinion, you are a kababayan. :smiley: :wave:

Proof of what? That this man was executed for defending himself against a rapist? The OP cited several sources for this. Could you please stop demanding proof for everything and provide proof yourself that what happened to this poor man was not the result of barbaric Shari’a law?

I also don’t understand this whole concept of blood money. It just seems wrong to me. What if someone murders a person in cold blood, but the victim’s family is very forgiving and accepts blood money from the killer, does the killer get out of jail? If that’s the case, you have a killer out on the streets who hasn’t been rehabilitated and could be (and probably is) dangerous to society. He could go and kill another person, and be let off the hook by that person’s family, then kill again… Why is it that the family of the victim gets to decide the fate of someone who could be a danger to society as a whole?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.