Films not for kids!

I'm tasked with setting up a youth group activity, and i need some suggestions.

the set up is that they are looking after a young kid around 5, 6, or 7. they have to pick from a list of movies that look child friendly and i will give a brief and tame description, when in fact they are not at all intended for kids

so the movies i have so far is
Watership Down (a little to violent for kids of that age), "its a story about bunnies"
The Plague Dogs (morbidly depressing and also violent), "its a story about dog looking for a master and home"
Cool World (dirty jokes, also the movie sucks), "Braid Pit in a cartoon world"
Felidae (absolutely not for kids), "its a movie about cats solving mysteries"

i was wondering if some of you know of any other movies i could use?

Veggie Tales.

[mods, please delete]

How about the following horror movies:

Black Sheep (it’s a sheep trying to struggle to make it against all odds)
Willard (sounds like a lovable little pig!)
The Birds (a nice flock of birds try to build a nice home for their families)
Frogs (cute little green frogs on adventures)
Dog Soldiers (little dogs dressed in little uniforms going on adventures - very patriotic)
Leprechaun Series (what can possible be scary about Leprechauns!?)
The Mummy (it’s the UK version of The Mommy)

some of those i can use, thanks. although, my point to the youth group will be more clear if i have a movie with a misleading poster or trailer. primarily an animated film

I would think it is the parent’s responsibility to determine whether or not a movie or TV show is appropriate for their children to watch. The government also has a ratings system to help guide them on this point.

[quote="PrayerShark, post:6, topic:230776"]
I would think it is the parent's responsibility to determine whether or not a movie or TV show is appropriate for their children to watch. The government also has a ratings system to help guide them on this point.

[/quote]

In the U.S., the MPAA is a privately-run organization:
In 1922, the presidents of the major motion picture studios, including Samuel Goldwyn, Louis B. Mayer, Jesse Lasky and Joseph Schenck, formed the Motion Picture Producers and Distributors Association of America to resist mounting calls for government censorship of American films. In addition, the founders of the organization wanted to foster a more favorable public image for the motion picture industry and to safeguard the role of then-silent films’ place in mainstream America
Source: mpaa.org/about/history

Of course, when the MPAA gives films like The Kings' Speech an R rating for one scene of inherently non-gratuitous profanity, only to re-release it as PG-13, when they turn around and give PG's and PG-13's to films with tasteless sexual content and definitely gratuitous profanity that a few years prior would have been slapped with an R, it really makes you wonder for whose families they're "safeguarding" anything. Movieguide.org or decentfilms.com have much more credibility on the matter.

[quote="PrayerShark, post:6, topic:230776"]
I would think it is the parent's responsibility to determine whether or not a movie or TV show is appropriate for their children to watch. The government also has a ratings system to help guide them on this point.

[/quote]

no, your missing the point. this is just an activity for the group, with the idea that things are not as they appear. so unless you are going to give me a suggestion, what you just said doesn't help my cause

some of those i can use, thanks. although, my point to the youth group will be more clear if i have a movie with a misleading poster or trailer. primarily an animated film

I think that the vast majority of American animation is child friendly fare (with the exception of anything by Ralph Bakshi). Even then, his film posters don't come off as kid friendly. There is the tame looking The Nine Lives of Fritz the Cat poster, compared to its subject matter. And then there's this, especially number 13 (which is the closest to being kid friendly compared to subject matter):
cracked.com/article_18542_15-grossly-misleading-movie-posters.html
Also, number 2's description made me laugh the most.

[quote="Paul1Up, post:9, topic:230776"]
I think that the vast majority of American animation is child friendly fare

[/quote]

well, for the most part. the movie Felidae is German made while Watership Down and the Plague Dogs are British.

What a cool project.

One of my favorite websites, TV Tropes, has discussed this. One of their pages has a list of films that parents might mistakenly assume are fine for their children to watch:

"What Do You Mean, It’s Not For Kids?"
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ptitlerax1116nu5ji

Warning: Some of the posters on this site use bad language.

Some of my favorite examples: :rolleyes:

• anything animated, because some people think if it’s animated that it must be for kids. Like South Park…ugh.
  • coming off of that, some anime, especially ones distributed here by Disney, like Princess Monoke. “It has princess in the title, right?”
  • anything that has a kid protagonist, like the R-rated Pan’s Labyrinth. “A fun fantasy movie about a little girl exploring a magical world.”
  • comic book movies like The Dark Knight, Watchmen, and the recent Kick-***. Apparently if it’s about superheroes it’s fine for kids to watch.
  • in a similar vein to Cool World is Who Framed Roger Rabbit. “All your favorite Looney Toons and Disney characters come together on the big screen.” (…and a scantily-clad woman, implications of adultery, murder, a drinking, foul-mouthed detective, and a frightening villain reveal at the end.)

Grave of the Fireflies. It's an WWII anime movie. Very very good movie for most age groups, probably the best WWII movie I've ever seen. But it is highly depressing, especially the end.

[quote="Laoise, post:11, topic:230776"]

"What Do You Mean, It's Not For Kids?"
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ptitlerax1116nu5ji

[/quote]

wow, i have been on that site before but i had no idea this was an actual trope. thanks, this is a huge help. you know, i planned on making jokes for this. maybe i can fit some from that site and no one will be the wiser

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.