Final Benediction and Kneeling

Are we supposed to kneel during the final benediction at Mass? I have a couple of friends that insist that one is supposed to kneel.

Thanks and God Bless.

From the time that the priest says “Let us pray” for the prayer after Communion until the dismissal by the priest or deacon it is proper for the congregation to stand.

Is your friend from the US? I have noticed in my travels that in Latin America is is quite common for people to kneel, or rather genuflect for the final blessing. It’s not called for in the GIRM but seems to be a local custom.

They are from Latin America. Perhaps that’s why. I’ve never seen it done here in the US.

Thanks and God Bless.

It is often done in TLM Communities as well. I do not know where the custom comes from. I have never seen anyone fully kneel (that is on both knees) but rather genuflect while the priest confers the blessing.

Is it possible that you are confusing the “genuflection” at the end of a low TLM (its done for the “last Gospel”) with just a quirk of the TLM?

Some folks probably still do these things, even there is no place for them in the OF.

Years ago we were taught the Final Blessing, delievered by the priest in the Persona Christi ( person of Christ) should be received on our knees. There are many of us that knell, both knees down, perhaps as a carry -over from the teaching nuns.

When the TLM was the only form of the mass we:

Sat while the priest purified the Chalice.

Stood for the Post Communion Verse, Ite Missa est, and final prayers.

Knelt for the blessing.

Stood for the Last Gospel.

And I think we then knelt for the Leonine prayers at the foot of the altar - 3 Hail Marys, Hail Holy Queen, etc. and stood while the priest left.

My memory isn’t that good. The information is from my marginal notes in my missal for guiding my wife’s choirs through the mass.

=dcnbill;6929687]from the time that the priest says “let us pray” for the prayer after communion until the dismissal by the priest or deacon it is proper for the congregation to stand.

agreed,

not called for kneeling

I genuflect for the final blessing

Your recollection is completely correct.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.