Final Judgement-when

According to official church teaching — Does Final judgment occur at death? and then you are sent to either hell, heaven, purgotory. Or are all souls kept for final judgement on the last day?

thanks in advance !

m.

When each of us dies, our souls are immediately taken to the presence of God and judged. This is called the Particular Judgment. At this point we begin our eternal destiny. If we are are going to hell, our souls go directly there. If we are deemed worthy of heaven, our souls will go directly to heaven, or if we are going to heaven but are in need of purification, we may go to Purgatory first (everyone in Purgatory will eventually go to heaven). Whatever our fate, our souls will stay there until the end of time.

At the Second Coming at the end of time, those Christians still alive will be taken to heaven (what some Protestants call the Rapture). Then will occur the General Judgment. At that time the living and the dead will be reunited with their bodies and brought together in God’s presence and judged before all. Those who have already been judged in the Particular Judgment will be brought from wherever their souls were -heaven, hell or Purgatory-- and have their judgment confirmed before all.

After this, time and Purgatory will be no more and all will enter with their souls and bodies into their eternal destiny, either hell or heaven.

This is an extremely bare-bones sketch, so if you want to get the details, see the four articles linked below:

rosary-center.org/ll57n1.htm
rosary-center.org/ll57n2.htm
rosary-center.org/ll57n3.htm
rosary-center.org/ll57n4.htm

thanks, that is well answered.

God bless you.

m.

[quote=Fidelis]… if you want to get the details, see the four articles linked below:
[/quote]

It is gratifying to see Father Paul K. Raftery cited in this forum. Fr. Paul (and the Rosary Center) are known to me personally as exceptional witnesses to the Faith (I am in Portland, where the Rosary Center is based and where Fr. Paul, until recently, resided).

[quote=Fidelis]When each of us dies, our souls are immediately taken to the presence of God and judged. This is called the Particular Judgment. At this point we begin our eternal destiny. If we are are going to hell, our souls go directly there. If we are deemed worthy of heaven, our souls will go directly to heaven, or if we are going to heaven but are in need of purification, we may go to Purgatory first (everyone in Purgatory will eventually go to heaven). Whatever our fate, our souls will stay there until the end of time.

At the Second Coming at the end of time, those Christians still alive will be taken to heaven (what some Protestants call the Rapture). Then will occur the General Judgment. At that time the living and the dead will be reunited with their bodies and brought together in God’s presence and judged before all. Those who have already been judged in the Particular Judgment will be brought from wherever their souls were -heaven, hell or Purgatory-- and have their judgment confirmed before all.

After this, time and Purgatory will be no more and all will enter with their souls and bodies into their eternal destiny, either hell or heaven.

This is an extremely bare-bones sketch, so if you want to get the details, see the four articles linked below:

[/quote]

Some top notch stuff there. I couldnt stop reading.

[quote=DavidFilmer]It is gratifying to see Father Paul K. Raftery cited in this forum. Fr. Paul (and the Rosary Center) are known to me personally as exceptional witnesses to the Faith (I am in Portland, where the Rosary Center is based and where Fr. Paul, until recently, resided).
[/quote]

Along with Fr. Duffner, who’s writings also appear on the Rosary Center site, I have learned more of what the Church teaches than from any other single source. The many articles that appear on these pages definitely deserve to be more well known and diseminated, especially by Catholic educators and apologists.

I always had a hard time with the judgment being after Christ’s physical return to earth. Because if at the moment of death we are judged as to where we go, whether heaven or hell, then aren’t we judged already? :confused:

If my soul goes to heaven or hell at death and we are there for eternity, then what need is there of any future judgment, since our destination has already been decided?

Check out the Ask an Apologist section. This was answered very well there.

[quote=Donna P]Check out the Ask an Apologist section. This was answered very well there.
[/quote]

We’'ll have to take your word for it–I can’t find it! :frowning:

My understanding as to why there is a second, General Judgment (described in Matthew 25:31-46 and Revelation 20:11-15) is so that the just judgments of God will be known to all. All will see how the final destiny of each person that ever lived was a result of both God’s justice and mercy. No one will be able to say, “This person did not deserve heaven” or “This person did not deserve hell.” The rightness of the eternal fate of each person will be acknowledged by all.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.