Final Judgment: Do the saints' past sins be revealed?

I know that in the Final Judgment, all the damned people’s sins will be revealed by God to all the people of the world. I was wondering do the past sins of the saints in heaven will also be revealed to their fellow saints as well as to the sinners in hell?

Don’t you think it could be a little embarrassing/humiliating for a saint to still have his past sins be told to the other saints?

It applies to EVERYONE.

CCC 1039 In the presence of Christ, who is Truth itself, the truth of each man’s relationship with God will be laid bare. The Last Judgment will reveal even to its furthest consequences the good each person has done or failed to do during his earthly life:

All that the wicked do is recorded, and they do not know. When “our God comes, he does not keep silence.”. . . he will turn towards those at his left hand: . . . “I placed my poor little ones on earth for you. I as their head was seated in heaven at the right hand of my Father - but on earth my members were suffering, my members on earth were in need. If you gave anything to my members, what you gave would reach their Head. Would that you had known that my little ones were in need when I placed them on earth for you and appointed them your stewards to bring your good works into my treasury. But you have placed nothing in their hands; therefore you have found nothing in my presence.”

The sins of the saints which are revealed will be revealed as a testament to the mercy and glory of God, and they will actually take great joy in seeing the mercy of God demonstrated.

No, they will not feel shame. The damned, however, will feel extreme shame for their sins.

Well will all know the deepest secrets of every human being, damned or saved. This will allow the full extent of our sins to be known by all and thus God’s Justice to be known by all.

The saved will certainly be aware of this, but they will not feel shame. They will still regret committing those sins, but only in the sense that they will cognitively recognize that they indeed committed those sins and think “Yep, shouldn’t have done that!”. They won’t be suffering any guilty conscience or humiliation or shame.

“He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain. For the first things have passed away.” Rev 21:1-4

:slight_smile: You might need to look at this:

ewtn.com/faith/teachings/judga2.htm

‘Here each person will have to account for his conduct and the deepest secrets of his soul will come to light. How well each person has responded to the prompting of God’s grace will be made clear. Our attitude and actions toward our neighbor will reflect how well we have loved our Lord. “As often as you did it for one of My least brothers, you did it for Me” (Mt 25:41).’

***‘Our Lord will judge us accordingly. For those who have died and already have faced the particular judgment, their judgment will stand.’ ***

**'Those living at the time of the Second Coming will receive judgment. Those who have rejected the Lord in this life, who have sinned mortally, who have no remorse for sin and do not seek forgiveness, will have condemned themselves to hell for all eternity. "By rejecting grace in this life, one already judges oneself, receives according to one’s works and can even condemn oneself for all eternity by rejecting the Spirit of love (Catechism, No. 678). The souls of the righteous will enter heavenly glory and enjoy the beatific vision and those who need purification will undergo it.’

(in bold) - those who have faced the particular judgment do not face another judgment because that would be two judgments! There are already people in Heaven, and, as far as the great saints - never to be ignored - have shared with us, also people in Hell.

The passage from the Catechism refers to those who are living, in terms of a new judgment. The souls of those who have died are given new bodies with their judgments that have already been given, still in standing. As all praise together, or not, as the case may be.

Purgatory is what we endure to get rid of the selfishness left in us after death. Now whether a soul before the Last Judgment who has gone through Purgative fire is laid bare before all of Heaven, I do wonder. Once one’s sins are wiped away in Confession, they are wiped, through the prism of Christ’s wounds (I think a Dominican said this, or something close, to that affect).The justified soul then shines radiantly in Heaven, gloriously triumphant, basking in the light of Christ. So, maybe it is that the judgment which they have passed, that stands, is still laid bare before others, but as previous posters have declared, are still made known, yet in great joy, not shame, that they endured for the sake of Him, such hardships against the spirit, from the passions of the flesh and from the accusations and temptations of the Devil.

When you would see someone’s soul, you would (possibly) see all of them, in knowledge - either in the light of love or in the darkness of the rejection of love.

What about a plenary indulgence?

Are the sins committed before this apply at the Judgement?

What do you mean by “apply”?

With a plenary indulgence, the temporal punishment for sins committed before you do the indulgenced work is wiped away, but it’s isn’t blotted out from history. You still committed those sins.

So at the Last Judgement, yes, those sins will be revealed.

In what sense do you mean? The souls who received a plenary indulgence and who are also saved, will not feel shame or guilt for the sins committed prior to receiving the indulgence. They will regret the sins, but this is merely in an intellectual sense. They will recognize that it was sinful and offensive to God, but rejoice that they repented in time and share in the glory of God’s company for eternity.

Thanks.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.