Finally, a young actress worth admiring

I’m sure everyone is so sick and tired of hearing about these young hollywood girls that do nothing but party, live immoraly, and land themselves in jail. It’s so refreshing to read about a young acress with her head screwed on the right way. Well, one actress that has earned my respect is Anne Hathway.
I was in the dentist office the other day reading a Newsweek magazine, and saw a small interview with the actress Anne Hathaway. In the interview they started asking her about her current boyfriend and she was talking about how he worked for the Catholic Church. They then mentionion her brother who is homosexual and how the Catholic Church is against the gay lifestyle. She replied that she was not going to discuss critisism of the church, and then said that the catholic church had done many good things over the years. I really applaud her for standing up for the church when so many talk down about it. I wonder if she’s actually catholic? It sounds like she is.

She was raised in the Catholic religion with what she considers “really strong values”,[7] and wanted to be a nun during her childhood.[9] However, at fifteen, she decided not to become a nun after learning that her brother Michael was gay.[9] Although she was raised as a Catholic, she felt that she could not be part of a religion that disapproved of her brother’s sexual orientation

Source: wikipedia

Sounds to me like she misunderstands the Church’s position on homosexuality. Maybe that will change if her boyfriend works for the Church.

According to Wikipedia she did nude scenes is the movie Brokeback Mountain - I’d recommend praying for her.

Catholig

It’s true :frowning: and I had sooooo much respect for her before that. I really thought she was going to be a positive role model for children, teens and adults alike.

In a thread awhile back some one said something similar (about being disappointed). I think it was something about her role in The Devil Wears Prada.

I think it’s unwise to get too excited about young actors, singers and others who seem to have their heads on straight and talk about their faith. When they are young of course they are playing roles appropriate to their age and not doing nude scenes. There are exceptions to this (the whole Dakota Fanning thing). Remember Britney Spears talking about waiting for marriage? What about Chad Allen being in YOU! magazine about 20 years ago talking about his Catholic faith?

I’ve learned to wait until they grow up to see how things pan out.

Don’t know about that but I believe she did do some nude/sex scenes in the movie Havoc.

I like Anne Hathaway and most of her movies and I hate to see her take this route to get parts in movies. I agree lets pray for her.

If she did, she was playing the part of a married character*, and the scenes were part of her relationship with her husband in the movie. She IS an actress…at least here it would seem she was portraying MARRIED sexuality. Kind of a refreshing change, don’t you think?

I, too, was gratified that she refused to bash the Church. She seems like a nice girl…

*I have not seen the film, but I understand she plays the wife of one of the protagonists.

I agree. Besides, I wasn’t trying to argue about her choise in movie roles, I was pointing out the fact that she defended the church, which many actors simply do not do.

No, the nude scenes she did involed pre-marital sex

Ugh, that movie was punishing. And yes, there was a lot of nudity/sex (not to mention simulated gang rape) in that movie.

I believe that movie is the reason Disney cut ties with her and the “Princess Diaries” franchise. Then again, that may be what she wanted.

From IMDB:

Hathaway soon started to move away from family-friendly films. Following The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement (2004), she appeared topless in the films Havoc (2005) opposite Josh Peck and Brokeback Mountain (2005) opposite Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal. Her desire to break out of her “Princess Diaries” image parallels that of her one-time co-star, Julie Andrews, who went topless in the film S.O.B. (1981) in order to break away from the image she created from her 1960s musicals. In interviews, Hathaway said that doing family-friendly films didn’t mean she was similar to their characters or mean she objected to appearing nude in other films.

FWIW, “Ella Enchanted” is a great movie. It was an irreverent fariy tale, in the same vein as “The Princess Bride”.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.