Finally Going to my First EF Mass... Confession?

I’ll be attending my first EF Mass this Sunday morning and am in to go to Confession before Receiving as I’m not in a state of grace. I was just recently Confirmed at the Easter vigil and have only been to Confession twice, so the Sacrament is still pretty new to me as it is, but I’m completely unfamiliar with Confession at a Tridentine Mass parish. I realize that not all EF parishes are the same but generally speaking, is the Sacrament of Reconciliation different at a parish that uses the EF of the Mass? If so, how is it different?

Confession is confession. One sacrament.

[edited]

[quote="MrBibbins, post:1, topic:282415"]
I'll be attending my first EF Mass this Sunday morning and am in to go to Confession before Receiving as I'm not in a state of grace. I was just recently Confirmed at the Easter vigil and have only been to Confession twice, so the Sacrament is still pretty new to me as it is, but I'm completely unfamiliar with Confession at a Tridentine Mass parish. I realize that not all EF parishes are the same but generally speaking, is the Sacrament of Reconciliation different at a parish that uses the EF of the Mass? If so, how is it different?

[/quote]

It's the same.

The only difference you might find is that some priests might say the prayer of absolution in Latin rather than the English, but only some. I posted both the Latin and the English below.

Deus, Pater misericordiárum,
qui per mortem et resurrectiónem Filii sui
mundum sibi reconciliávit
et Spiritum Sanctum effúdit in remissiónem peccatórum,
per ministérium Ecclésiæ
indulgéntiam tibi tribuat et pacem.
Et ego te absólvo a peccátis tuis
in nómine Patris, et Filii,
et Spíritus Sancti.

God, the Father of mercies,
through the death and resurrection of His Son
has reconciled the world to Himself
and sent the Holy Spirit among us for the forgiveness of sins;
through the ministry of the Church
may God give you pardon and peace,
and I absolve you from your sins
in the name of the Father, and of the Son,
and of the Holy Spirit.

Also, when you first walk in, you might hear In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen, instead of In the name of the Father...

Anything you might say remains the same.

Check first to see that it is not run by SSPX but rather one that the Local Bishop oversees.

Great!!!! I hope you like it . At traditional parishes, we follow the custom before Vatican II and have confessions before all masses, and if there are enough priests, confessions during mass. I am not a novus ordo Catholic so I have no idea how confessions are done there, but don't worry. Before going in the box,do an examination of conscience, then get in line. You kneel down and say Bless me Father for I have sinned. He will Bless you in latin. You then say It has been 2 weeks since my last confession, in that time I have commited the following sins. He needs to know the number of times of each sin. He will then talk to you. He will give you a pennace, He will then say-now say your act of contrition.. While you are saying that he will give absolution in latin. You say thankyou Father and then he will ask you to say a prayer for him. You go to the church and say your pennace. Now, don't worry about any of this. You can go in and kneel down and say Father I want to confess my sins but I don't know how and he will talk you through it. They are used to this. Priests at traditional parishes have people all the time come in who never learned almost anything about their Faith, and they have people come in who haven't been in church in 30-40 years so if you are nervous and don't remember the procedure, it is OK. If you are at a church that hears confessions during mass, it is so nice to see the confessional doors open at the consecration and the priests kneel of the floor and remove their birettas. Congratulations on going to confession, keep it up as a regular habit. We are taught to go every two weeks as a general rule so that we can meet the requirement for obtaining plenary indulgences. The sacrament will assist you from committing more mortal sins.

Yep, it's pretty similar. One difference I've noticed is that the prayers aren't necessarily in dialogue format as they seem to be in NO parishes. That is, while you're saying your act of contrition, the priest is simultaneously saying the act of absolution. Otherwise everything that happens is essentially the same.

I was a little intimidated the first time I went to confession at the EF parish, but like everything, it just takes a couple practices to get it down. I tend to forget the act of contrition (for some reason, I know not why, in my mind it runs together with the Boy Scout oath) but fortunately there's a little placard with it next to the screen I can cheat from. :)

sanctamissa.org/en/faq/receiving-other-sacraments-in-the-extraordinary-form.html
Click the above link in case confession is in the extraordinary form. It doesn't give the Latin which you will hear, but at least you have the translation of what Father says when he absolves you. What True Light gave is correct if absolution is giving in the ordinary or current post Vatican II form of the sacrament.
I am sure priests of the FSSP, Institute of Christ the King Sovering Priest, etc. use the extraordinary form. Where I attend the EF Mass, the priest is the chaplain assigned by our bishop. He uses the traditional (EF) form of confession with us. But I have also known priests who used the current form with us before saying a EF Mass for us.
God bless you.

It's the same except the absolution is in Latin and it's always behind the screen. In my experience FSSP give very good counsel. :)

[quote="Jegudiel, post:2, topic:282415"]
Confession is confession. One sacrament.

[edited]

[/quote]

Depends if its SSPX or FSSP.

[quote="MrBibbins, post:1, topic:282415"]
I'll be attending my first EF Mass this Sunday morning and am in to go to Confession before Receiving as I'm not in a state of grace. I was just recently Confirmed at the Easter vigil and have only been to Confession twice, so the Sacrament is still pretty new to me as it is, but I'm completely unfamiliar with Confession at a Tridentine Mass parish. I realize that not all EF parishes are the same but generally speaking, is the Sacrament of Reconciliation different at a parish that uses the EF of the Mass? If so, how is it different?

[/quote]

Come back and report. :)

[quote="tradcathusa, post:5, topic:282415"]
Great!!!! I hope you like it . At traditional parishes, we follow the custom before Vatican II and have confessions before all masses, and if there are enough priests, confessions during mass.** I am not a novus ordo Catholic** so I have no idea how confessions are done there, but don't worry.

[/quote]

And what exactly is an "novus ordo" Catholic? Are you trying to say that you don't normally attend the ordinary form of Mass?

You do know that there is no such thing as a "novus ordo Catholic, right?

Well there is, kind of. Not in the sense of there being two Catholic Churches (it's one universal Church) but there do tend to be major differences, beyond the liturgy. I entered the Church through RCIA at a Novus Ordo parish, and have been to many before I came home to tradition. There is a palpable difference.

[quote="adopted_heir, post:12, topic:282415"]
Well there is, kind of. Not in the sense of there being two Catholic Churches (it's one universal Church) but there do tend to be major differences, beyond the liturgy. I entered the Church through RCIA at a Novus Ordo parish, and have been to many before I came home to tradition. There is a palpable difference.

[/quote]

No there isn't, at all. The EF and OF are not different Rites of the Church.

There is a difference between the 8am Mass and the 5pm Mass, that doesn't make them different rites.

Have to been to the EF? Or rather, are you familiar with it? If there was no difference, there would be no EF/OF differentiation. And no, it’s not just a translation.

Rather than taking the thread off topic, I started a new thread.

[quote="domandcarols, post:8, topic:282415"]
It's the same except the absolution is in Latin and it's always behind the screen. In my experience FSSP give very good counsel. :)

[/quote]

:thumbsup: This. My life has changed from the guidance given to me in the confessionals of my FSSP parish.

[quote="maryjk, post:11, topic:282415"]
And what exactly is an "novus ordo" Catholic? Are you trying to say that you don't normally attend the ordinary form of Mass?

You do know that there is no such thing as a "novus ordo Catholic, right?

[/quote]

Correct, I am in a traditional parish and always have been. I never attend a novus ordo mass or sacrament becaue at my parish (FSSP) everything is done in latin according to the liturigical books before Vatican II. I taught Sunday school and I mentioned something about "oh that is done in the english mass", and I saw these puzzled looks and hands go up, and the students asked, " Is the mass ever said in English?"

[quote="domandcarols, post:8, topic:282415"]

[/quote]

And they don't play. I need a firm hand. :D

[quote="tradcathusa, post:17, topic:282415"]
something about "oh that is done in the english mass", and I saw these puzzled looks and hands go up, and the students asked, " Is the mass ever said in English?"

[/quote]

How did you answer them? Were you able to hide your own preference for the EF?

Why would he ever need to hide his own preference for the EF? Especially in an EF parish surrounded by kids raised on EF? Who by the sound of it had never heard of the OF?

I don’t plan on my kids ever attending the OF if we can help it, so there’s no need for me to pretend I like it as much or more than EF. (Although our reasons are not merely a matter of preference or aesthetics.)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.