Finally, we have some conversation

Here are few things that I’ve been discussing with someone closed to me (a family member) and I am praying for the person to someday see the fullness of the Truth.

I am not trying to argue much because I don’t want us to get upset each other as I’ve seen here on this board, I just gave her some thing to think about.

I was wondering if any of you have to deal with the love ones and how you keep the conversation nice and not so much of argument.

1- she can’t hear the dead saints and they can’t hear her; therefore, she doesn’t pray for their intercession.

I asked her how she was going to help someone to know God if she can’t hear God either… she had no comment on that.

2- I was told not to pray for people to convert to Catholic…I would waste my time…because in Heaven there is no denominations!
I told her that she was right - in Heaven there is unity, and that is exactly what Jesus wants His people to be united. The Catholic Church is the Church that was found from the beginning, only many others are found later. I convince her to read about the Church History*

3- She told me to be obedient to God.
again, I just told her that she was right that we all needed to be obedient to Him and also to honor our parents too - not just honor God alone. God puts us in some people’s care and we ought to listen to them.

4- Again, she said Peter was not the rock that Jesus referred to.
I just gave her a link to read:
catholic.com/library/Peter_the_Rock.asp

5- Mary is not Virgin…Jesus had stepbrothers.

well, I told her …her own cousins call her “sister” … that’s how we call each other in our language too.

I asked her if she considered them as our stepbrother and sister? :smiley:

I think I just keep praying for her and just keep adding some articles to my website. I know she doesn’t want to debate or argue …but I am sure she wants to read what I have on the site. :slight_smile:

Ask her if that is supported by the Bible in Hebrews 12:1 which plainly says that we are surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses which means that they both see and hear us. Since they witness a race for eternal life that they have already run, why would they not intercede for those of us still running such an important race?

2- I was told not to pray for people to convert to Catholic…I would waste my time…because in Heaven there is no denominations!
I told her that she was right - in Heaven there is unity, and that is exactly what Jesus wants His people to be united. The Catholic Church is the Church that was found from the beginning, only many others are found later. I convince her to read about the Church History*

Tell her you are merely obeying Matthew 28:19.

3- She told me to be obedient to God.
again, I just told her that she was right that we all needed to be obedient to Him and also to honor our parents too - not just honor God alone. God puts us in some people’s care and we ought to listen to them.

Ask her is she has obeyed Acts 2:38 And Peter said to them, "Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

4- Again, she said Peter was not the rock that Jesus referred to.
I just gave her a link to read:
catholic.com/library/Peter_the_Rock.asp

Goood answer.

5- Mary is not Virgin…Jesus had stepbrothers.

well, I told her …her own cousins call her “sister” … that’s how we call each other in our language too.

I asked her if she considered them as our stepbrother and sister? :smiley:

Ask her why, if Jesus had blood brothers and sisters, who by custom were responsible for their Mom upon the death of their father and the first born son (Our Lord) did Jesus make one of the last things He did from the cross, to put the Blessed Virgin into the care of St. John?

I think I just keep praying for her and just keep adding some articles to my website. I know she doesn’t want to debate or argue …but I am sure she wants to read what I have on the site. :slight_smile:

If she doesn’t want to debate or argue, then why is she contending with you?

Have a listen to the Bible studies at

Good luck. I would find it very difficult to reason successfully with someone has seemingly bought into all of the anti-Catholic apologetic rhetoric of Protestant fundamentalism. You can say all the right things and dialogue for days on end, and still the person you have been dialoguing with remains unreceptive and hostile to the Catholic faith. I advise you to reflect upon Jesus in the sacred scriptures. Jesus acknowledged that prayer and fasting were sometimes required to break down spiritual strongholds (see St. Matthew 17).

I think a wise approach at this point is to pray for this person, and to give good example. In situations such as this our actions may speak louder than our words.

Pray always. My wife is Baptist and we have had good dialogue and also fights over theology. What I have found through this is that the first thing I have to do is get her to explain her objections in clear and unamibiguous language. For example, just last night after watching “The Song Of Bernadette” she said “I don’t believe in the Immaculate Conception”. Now, in the past I would have immediately jumped into this and begun to quote scripture and ECF…instead I asked "What do you think we (Catholics) mean by the using the term “Immaculate Conception”? Her response was “That Mary was born in the same manner as Jesus, via a virgin birth.” When I explained the Catholic teaching, that Mary was conceived naturally but that through the grace of God she was preserved from the stain of original sin, my wife said “Oh, I can believe that…do you believe that she remained sinless her whole life?”…and thus the dialogue continued. I would refer you back to one of my favorite quotes:

“There are not 100 people who hate the Catholic Church; But there are millions who hate what they believe the Catholic Church to be.” -Archbishop Fulton Sh

Thank you all for your support.

She is a very simple person and I thought I should start with some simple thing …and more common sense matter.

In my situation it is very hard to discuss with her.
I had few more conversation with her with more evidences from Bible and history of the Church, she said she felt that it would just make her feel distant from me and that she don’t want to discuss about it. :frowning:

I told her that I’ve been praying for the unity in the family …meaning that we would live closer together in one city … after 20 years of separation; however, I have changed the prayer and asked for the Unity in Faith instead.

She seems to turn off her mind right now. However, I know she would read my website; therefore, I would post more information on the website instead.

Thank you CM, I will have all this information on my website and hopefully she would read it. yes, she was the one who start the discussion and now she doesn’t want to.

I am trying to pray for her … and I have another older brother who is in this same situation.

Ah, that sounds like a very good idea. I think I should take tim e and be patient with her too.

Thanks!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.