Financial despair, addiction and the rise of suicide in white America

Financial despair, addiction and the rise of suicide in white America

…“I have never drinked. I’ve never smoked. I’m a very strong Catholic and I practice those values. No way is this from any immorality on my part,” he said. “Here I am, I’ve worked hard all my life, put myself through college, raised three kids, been a single parent at different times in my life. Now I’m bankrupt. Not only bankrupt but with a remaining huge debt.”…

…That may go some way to explain the differing middle aged death rate with other developed countries that have extensive welfare systems, free or cheap health care and greater support for pensioners. The proportion of US pensioners living in poverty is more than double that in Germany and nearly six times that of France. Few western Europeans are fearful of losing their homes to pay medical bills…

since 2007 a lot of people have lost a lot - homes, jobs, savings. there have been a lot of suicides.

It’s understandable, I think. Almost everyone I know is struggling financially in some area, or would be if a major problem came along like needing a new roof or car or high medical and dental bills. Most of the people I know would be in deep trouble if they missed one or two paychecks.

I think it’s terrible. I hate to see people suffer so, me included, but that is the reality of life in the US. When I lived and worked in Switzerland, no one struggled financially like Americans do. My relatives in France sometimes struggle with things, but none of them have to worry about not having money for medical or dental bills. None of them ever feels he or she will be forced into bankruptcy even if they can’t live even remotely close to the wealthy.

It’s not all rosy in Europe, though. One of my relatives lives in Toulon, France, and he says even when the temperature drops to 50 F. the landlord won’t turn on the heat to save money, and grocery prices have gotten so high it’s hard for him to eat healthy things. My twin brother called the grocery store this relative goes to and gave him a 200 Euro credit there one year.

I too have seen bad times since 2006 and I know the struggle.

This is why I pray the rosary everyday, for all of us and especially for the unemployed and underemployed.

Its indicative of the long drug wars finally expanding outside the inner cities. Black market 101 is prohibition breeds gun violence and death. You know its about “we” in case anyone missed it the last 50 years. How does America stack with illicit drugs and incarceration. You have no comparison,. None imho.

I’ve had good times and hard times. The hard times are scary and do lead one to despair.

They teach one to overcome adversity and survive too. I don’t know what scary is. Do we have a consensus on that? I highly doubt it.

Who or what is “they?”

Spend a night outside in the freezing cold, look around your kitchen and find nothing to eat, check your bank account and find it empty, know you have to choose between food or medicine, know you cannot provide the essentials for your family. If you experience one of those things, you will know the meaning of the word “scary.”

Good grief! Word choice!

hard times. The hard times

Thanks for sharing. I,m lost to understand what your talking about? :rolleyes:

There’s not only “addiction” in the title, there’s “financial despair” and “rise of suicide”.

rex

PS:
After putting ~$2400.00 into my 24 year old car (4 new fuel injectors, two new gaskets, new catalytic converter, tune up and clean the EGR valve) I find that it needs a part that both the manufacturer and the after market producer has stopped making with the result that the service engine light is still on.

Without a car I suspect I’ll be dead at least 5 years sooner than I had anticipated and there’s just no way I can afford a new one.

rex

I read the article, and?

Legal marijuana sales exceeded 5.4 billion last year. Thats 5.4 billion taken from the cartels and given to small business, and weapons that through fast and furious wouldn’t be needed and further reach the inner city related violence now expanding outward in places like NH among others due to the US appetite for drugs opposed to prohibition. These kids wake up to this nightmare daily and the revolving door syndrome in full effect. :shrug:

Some of us only see the title and admittedly haven’t read the article;
So are you saying that this thread is not about folks in “financial despair” who haven’t ever smoked pot?

My story is a mind-blower imho, but suffice it to say that although I doubt I’d ever have the courage to die like a defeated ancient warrior, the thought has crossed my mind on average at least once a month.

Believe it or not after almost a 30 year struggle, I’m finally on top of my indebtedness with excellent credit, but the idea of having to bus myself until I die has me down in the dumps looking for a used part for my car. :rolleyes:

rex

And?

So are you saying that this thread is not about folks in “financial despair” who haven’t ever smoked pot?

No, you are apparently.

My story is a mind-blower imho, but suffice it to say that although I doubt I’d ever have the courage to die like a defeated ancient warrior, the thought has crossed my mind on average at least once a month.

Lots of people have a mind blowing story. That IS my point. Its not a comparison of bad but the point as I stated one can overcome adversity.

Believe it or not after almost a 30 year struggle, I’m on top of my indebtedness with excellent credit, but the idea having to bus myself until I die has me down in the dumps looking for used part for my car.

Great, I’m very happy for you. This isn’t a personal static group either? Was that in the article you think some didn’t read?

ditto :rolleyes:

rex

Yet your post was quoted and responded to. If there is a sentence of mine you don’t understand your quite free to quote it and as adults we for sure can discuss it. :wink: Are you saying your an addict thats been through financial despair and thought about checking out? And you overcame this how?

Your question is very insulting even though you misspelled you’re".
It was clearly stated by me that I didn’t ever smoke pot
And no I haven’t ever been an addict.

Is your horse too high Mister Taylor?

rex

Pot has nothing to do with other drugs or if one hasn’t done any at all “like the OP”. The rest is making no sense to me. I can’t imagine why you think this is about spelling or what you think about me. The article isn’t about any of that. Its about overcoming adversity and by large with what we see related to a US drug addiction which is expanding into various areas but has been going on a very long time. I think you want to argue about nothing. :shrug: Further you bought up your own situation, why would you be insulted if someone THEN questions you on it and asks you HOW you overcame this adversity?

There have been six posters in this thread all discussing “financial despair” except you by whom the apparent subject of the article being drug addiction and its cause of suicide has been discussed …

One poster discussed not being able to find something to eat followed by your post stating something to the effect of not being able to understand her.
Well good for you Mister Taylor, but I sure can understand her
And I suspect that millions of other folks in this country can too.

rex

And Im talking about all three, “addiction, despair, and possible suicide” which you chose to chime in about “suicide” and then became insulted for God knows what reason.You bought it up!

One poster discussed not being able to find something to eat followed by your post stating something to the effect of not being able to understand her.

Nonsense, I understood what she said quite well, and can relate to all of it. But as you see this isn’t about personal elaborations which your insulted when questioned on. Its about understanding the phenom and overcoming the adversity. Which I repeated 3X to you now.

Well good for you Mister Taylor, but I sure can understand her
And I suspect that millions of other folks in this country can too.

I can understand it all too, is that all this is about? We can relate and to various degrees exactly as I stated? I want to ID the issue and see how we overcome the adversity. Thats what I’m interested in.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.