Finding a new parish

DH and I just moved. I have always attended the parish closest to where ever my home was. We are equal distance between 2 parishes, so we decided to visit them both. Both are set up in a circle, this is nothing I am used to. We attended one of these parishes this past Sunday and I walked out with a horrible headache. Due to chronic neck problems turning my head is difficult and painful. Even though the parish has a circular design there is really no place to sit with a straight view of the altar. I also found it very distracting to look at the people across from me through mass. There were other things, I am not here to bash the way these parishes are set up, I just know they are not going to work for me.
We are on the line of two different Diocese; Colorado Springs and Denver. Technically we are in Colorado Springs Diocese, although we are closer to Denver. If we don't go to one of the above two parishes we will most likely go to the Denver Cathedral.
So my questions. Is it OK to attend a parish outside of one’s Diocese? I enjoy being involved in our parish, bible study groups, etc. If we go to Denver it will be a bit more difficult to be as involved. Would it be wrong for us to be registered at one parish, although attended groups at another? I know parishes rely on member’s tithes to support these groups. I would be more than willing to contribute to 2 different parishes.

[quote="JustAnotherThou, post:1, topic:220505"]
DH and I just moved. I have always attended the parish closest to where ever my home was. We are equal distance between 2 parishes, so we decided to visit them both. Both are set up in a circle, this is nothing I am used to. We attended one of these parishes this past Sunday and I walked out with a horrible headache. Due to chronic neck problems turning my head is difficult and painful. Even though the parish has a circular design there is really no place to sit with a straight view of the altar. I also found it very distracting to look at the people across from me through mass. There were other things, I am not here to bash the way these parishes are set up, I just know they are not going to work for me.
We are on the line of two different Diocese; Colorado Springs and Denver. Technically we are in Colorado Springs Diocese, although we are closer to Denver. If we don't go to one of the above two parishes we will most likely go to the Denver Cathedral.
So my questions. Is it OK to attend a parish outside of one’s Diocese? I enjoy being involved in our parish, bible study groups, etc. If we go to Denver it will be a bit more difficult to be as involved. Would it be wrong for us to be registered at one parish, although attended groups at another? I know parishes rely on member’s tithes to support these groups. I would be more than willing to contribute to 2 different parishes.

[/quote]

I'm in a similar situation. The parish I have been a member of for the past 9 months (since I moved to a new area) is not very young adult friendly. Everything they have is for young families (which makes sense because they have a school) and for the elderly. Two weeks ago I found out that another parish across the river from where I am has a young adult group. I am probably going to switch parishes to join this group but I am also part of a bible study and charismatic prayer group at my current parish. Most importantly, my spiritual director/ confessor is at my current parish. I plan to switch parishes but become involved in both. I will probably still attend mass at both also (my spiritual director is the greatest preacher I have ever heard).

Anyway, I don't think there would be anything wrong with you dividing your time between both parishes/ diocese.

To both of you who posted 1 and 2 here, and have more than one church from which to choose, how blessed are you!!! The church in the next county is ten times as large as ours, both in physical size and possibly population, the pastor is young and charismatic, there is a sizeable staff, there are many traditional families, they have an elementary school, and the church is vibrant and socially active. The buildings are in use seven days a week. DH and I went to mass there when we first moved here, but the 70 mile round trip became onerous, especially in winter. I really wanted it to work. My parish church is small, the people are older, as is our pastor, resources are stretched to say the least, but I guess I love it. I need it and it needs me. I feel like I can make a contribution. If I had three wishes, I would choose daily mass, perpetual adoration, and an elementary school (complete with nuns). None of the three are likely. We will be blessed if we can maintain the numbers we have given the current economic situation. OK enough whining.

You have some discerning to do, don’t you? You aren’t obligated to attend the church designated as your parish, but sometimes the physical proximity of church means a lot. I guess it comes down to where you feel comfortable. It sounds strange to say that, almost like shopping around, but if you feel disconnected, physically from the bricks and mortor, or spiritually in the parish life, it will never seem right. Home is where the heart is, right? God bless you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.