Finding a spiritual advisor

Yeah, I know this has probably been asked a thousand times already -- let's make it 1001.

1) How does one find and establish a relationship with a good spiritual advisor?

2) Is there a way to get a spiritual director from a particular religious order if that order doesn't have a community in your local area?

1. Pray. Talk with your pastor. Even if he can’t be your spiritual director (which is likely because priests tend to be very busy) perhaps he can recommend someone. If there is a monastery, convent, retreat house, or the like nearby you might check with them. A retired religious might be a holy and wise spiritual director. Pray some more.

2. If someone in the order is willing to be a director and you are willing to travel to where they are located then it would be a possibility. Spiritual direction is generally done in person so you want to be close enough to see your director regularly.

[quote="JMJ_coder, post:1, topic:198465"]
Yeah, I know this has probably been asked a thousand times already -- let's make it 1001.

1) How does one find and establish a relationship with a good spiritual advisor?

2) Is there a way to get a spiritual director from a particular religious order if that order doesn't have a community in your local area?

[/quote]

I would also recommend going to monastery or convent if there is one in your area. I would have to say from personal experience that monastic religious make excellent spiritual directors. I think this is because they have dedicated their entire lives to God away from the distractions of the world and are more in tune to Our Lord because of it. My spiritual director is a Trappist monk and I have been going to see him about once a month for about six years now. He has helped me in almost every aspect of my life and has guided me recently in discerning my call to a carmelite monastery.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.