Finding catholic singles

Do most parrishs or diiocese have programs set up where you can meet singles of the faith?

B

Hi!

Ours doesn’t–I found an online singles website on the back of the bulletin–but I didn’t really like it and it costs a lot of money. I wish they had programs like that. :slight_smile:

Kim

[quote="catholicgirl08, post:2, topic:248996"]
Hi!

Ours doesn't--I found an online singles website on the back of the bulletin--but I didn't really like it and it costs a lot of money. I wish they had programs like that. :)

Kim

[/quote]

Me too.

I suppose this site could count... it is free... and friendly... and faithful...

The next best thing to do would be (if you aren't at one already) find a parish where people are really involved, join some group/cause that catches your fancy, and meet as many people your age as you can that way.

If that isn't an option... shrug

Haha. The knights of Columbus doesn’t allow women and all the ladies in the auxillary are married to the older knights.

B

The ones that do are probably very few and very far between.

There is nothing like that that I have seen in my parish or diocese. I wish there was though would make meeting people a lot easier.

Groups for young Catholics are WONDERFUL ideas. However, I find that young adult groups that contain mostly singles descend into man-bashing....or when guys are around other guys disgust over the women. Its horrible. It is frustrating, too, when you are in a couple because you're seen as not really needing to go to the group.

I've found that the best groups for 18+ Catholics are ones that focus on all...and have a good balance of single, dating, married and seminarians/priests.

Groups run by the church for the sake of dating is a terrible idea. It ends up being a meat-market and it gets dramatic and no fun.

It would be easier to have some gatherings for singles to mingle and make friends. I remember going to a few of those gatherings of 20/early 30's when I lived near a larger city. There was usually Sunday afternoon/evening Mass and after Mass, there would snacks/drinks after, and sometimes even some kind of a program/discussion thing (before or after Mass). I did make some friends but no dating prospects came from it.

I am sure that Catholic singles want to meet others who share their values and beliefs. Some places emphasize only on those just recently graduated from college/university & a short time after. It would be nice if there were groups for older adults who are single or perhaps widowed looking to make friends first.

[quote="billcu1, post:1, topic:248996"]
Do most parrishs or diiocese have programs set up where you can meet singles of the faith?

B

[/quote]

Unfortunately, the easiest solution seems to be to invent a "vocation to the single life" and discourage/shame anyone who seeks marriage. This mentality needs to change.

The one group that seems to bee good, though, is the National Catholic Singles Conference; however, they have not held a conference locally lately:

nationalcatholicsingles.com/

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.