Finding Christian Unity through the Holy Eucharist

Hi Family, this is the first few paragraphs of an article that I recently wrote about how the Holy Eucharist is the definitive source of Christian Unity. There whole article can be found at davidlgray.info/aunity1.html Thanks for your comments and critiques - God Bless!

Finding Christian Unity through the Holy Eucharist
I recently read a question on a Catholic forum from a poster who asked, “Why do Protestants go to Church if not for Communion?” I thought that was a most profound question because in the simplest way possible it highlighted the key difference between Catholic and Protestant worship.

In general, Protestants go to church to hear the word of God preached and to offer praise to Him in song and various bodily expressions of signification; such as dance, hands lifted high, speaking in tongues, being ‘caught up’ in the spirit, and etcetera. In Protestantism this is what it means to go to church and offer worship God. Depending upon the denomination, communion may be received anywhere from once a week, to once a year, to never (e.g. the Salvation Army church). Generally speaking, in Protestantism, the reception of wine (or grape juice) and bread is merely a symbolic participation in the Lord’s last Passover meal, now done in remembrance of Him.

In Catholicism it is the exact opposite. The reason why Catholics go to the Sacrifice of the Mass every day (most especially on Sunday’s and Holy Days of obligation) is to receive the real Body and Blood of our Lord Jesus Christ in the Holy Eucharist (communion). The Eucharist is the source of summit of our life as Catholic Christians. As such, the anticipation of Christ coming to us, with us, and in us, through the bread and wine is the climax of the Mass – it is the great magnanimous event. The preaching may be good or bad; the music may be moving or tragic, the place we gather may be a dark alley or a grand cathedral, but none of that matters because we didn’t come for any of those temporal things. On the contrary, we have come to receive our King in the most humble way that He has decided to return to us as after often as we gather.

Continue reading at davidlgray.info/aunity1.html

I have to agree. When I meet a non Catholic that believes that communion is real and not symbolic I tend to view them as a member of Christ. But when I meet one that says communion is symbolic I know that they can not be saved and have no place in the new covenant.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.