Finding God Alone

Greetings,

As a young male, I often spend a lot of time traveling. I do this out of enjoyment, and also because of the understanding that eventually God will probably have me settle, and thus, I won’t have very many opportunities to go wherever I want, whenever I want, etc, as is to be expected. I’ve never flown anywhere on vacation, choosing mainly to hit up places within 2-3 hours of where I live, Chicago, and spending a weekend at that place. I’ve pretty much covered the entire state of Illinois and Iowa, a little of Wisconsin (Madison), Indiana (on the toll road), Ohio (toll road), etc. I’ve been thinking about taking some time off of work to go explore Minnesota (Twin Cities), perhaps exploring further to visit Fargo, Sioux City, Omaha, etc. Or, I could go south, and check out Memphis, east, and check out Indianapolis, etc. Who knows.

In thinking about a place to go, however, and keep in mind - I’ll be alone, I’m wondering if I can really grow closer to God through fellowship, prayer, and devotion with Him, while on the road, and while staying in a hotel somewhere, exploring the local malls/parks, etc. With that said, I’m not really sure of places where I can go, to really feel His prescence. I know some might consider this a silly dilemma, stating that God can be felt anywhere, which is true. I don’t know, though. I feel like I’m closest to God when I’m out in the wilderness (e.g. not around where I live, work, etc). I need some ideas of places to drive or fly (cheaply) where I can find myself surrounded by serenity and relaxation, where I can really connect with my maker.

Any ideas?

My dear friend

We can see God in everything if we want to. Perhaps visit churches on your trip. Play the rosary while you drive. I too find God in nature - it’s great. I’m listening to the birds chirping this morning. I love it. Their so happy. No matter where you are remember what Jesus said - the kingdom of God is within you. Go inside yourself and be with God. He is there always, and no matter where you are or what’s going on. Hope this helps.

May God bless you and guide you on your travels and bring you home safely:thumbsup::slight_smile:
John

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.