Finding old testament

Been reading old testament not sure, about the hebrew teachings ruth , Esther and others things but like and believe new testament is this ok has a Catholic

Are you asking if it’s okay to read the Old Testament? Yes. We are not Marcionists. And that’s not just me saying that, it actually says that in the catechism of the Catholic church, I was reading it this morning.

2 Likes

Sorry do you have to believe all the old testament has a Catholic or is it ok to just believe in the new testament

What do you mean “believe all the Old Testament”?

2 Likes

The teachings of the New Testament are rooted in the Old Testament scriptures. Christ and the apostles constantly refer to the Old Testament, and in fact, Christ is the fulfillment of Old Testament law and prophecy. So if your question is whether you can dump the Old Testament in favor of the new, I don’t even know how that would work. So for example, when Jesus tells us to Love our neighbor as ourself, he is actually quoting Leviticus 19. When he says to love the Lord with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength, he is quoting from Deuteronomy 6. Keep that in mind as you continue to read your Bible. The New Testament doesn’t make sense apart from the revelation contained in the Old Testament. If you are struggling with the Old Testament, my advice is to attend a good Bible Study that can help you understand the Old Testament in its context and point to how Christ is the fulfillment of the Old Testament revelation.

3 Likes

@Cmc1, This document issued by the Pontifical Biblical Commission a few years ago sets out very clearly the Church’s teaching on the importance of the Old Testament to Catholics. I think you’ll find it answers all your questions.

The Jewish People and their Sacred Scriptures in the Christian Bible

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/pcb_documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_20020212_popolo-ebraico_en.html

2 Likes

Doing rçia course we have similar teachings but Trent decide what we argee on , the stories in the new testament have wisdom in 21st century, and be beyond but I’m confused and miss the points of some the stories in the old testament

You don’t have to read the Old Testament if it’s hard for you. As a Catholic, you should at least believe the Old Testament is still an important part of God’s revelation to his people, foreshadows the New Testament, and has not been put aside, even if you don’t personally study it.

Any interpretation of the Old Testament should be informed by how the Church understands the New Testament, and of course by what the Church teaches on it.

But you don’t have to be a Biblical scholar or a philosopher to be a good Catholic.

Here’s a suggestion: Pick a difficult passage in the Old Testament that you find puzzling, and start a new thread right here, on the Sacred Scripture forum, asking a question about it.

I voluntarily read the books of Moses like four times. Believe me, Leviticus is difficult, but you kind of have to know them to understand what the crucifixion is.

1 Like

Its fine, we can discuss Old Testament stories and attempt to give the clarity for you

Both.
The OT is Jesus’ “Scriptures”
We can understand the OT very well through the Lens of Jesus / NT

_

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.