Finding the church without the bible

are there ways to do this?

i’m a little conflicted right now.

on one hand, we know the church is the pillar and foundation of the truth because the bible tells us.

on the other hand, i don’t believe in sola scriptura either because it’s almost implying that people need to be able to read the bible to be saved. or else you are just following someone else’s interpretation.

and how would this play out in evangelistic purposes?

how would you tell someone the differences between the different churches if they couldn’t read?

just a thought that came to me right now. it’s no wonder Jesus stressed for unity…

does anyone know how the early christians did this? not many people could read back then i’m guessing. i know the holy spirit leads people but is that all?

I know its an hour long but im sure this can help you:

youtube.com/watch?v=YqKjcTHsuw0
The video is called: “History of the Bible and the Catholic Church”.

The apologist John Martignoni is the on talking:
catholic.com/profiles/john-martignoni

Peace to you.

For one thing, and it just an offhand remark from the top of my head, the real Church would worship God constantly, would pray to God constantly, would never cease to praise God. We can simply look around and see which meet this criteria more or less.

-Tim-

I would have to say simply by the Faithful and converts telling their stories of conversion to the Faith. Most people had to rely on hearing the Word of God and the Apostles chosen by Christ told of his life and ministry. There is something about the truth that penetrates all matters. That truth helped establish and maintain the early Church. (Just my thoughts.)

I’m a bit confused by the question – finding the church without the Bible. We’ve moved a Lot and when looking for a church to attend – we look for one that teaches the Bible. We go to church to hear God’s Word being taught / to sing praises to Him / to pray / to fellowship with others / encourage each other spiritually.

This is interesting because it reminds me of the several times Paul’s gives his “witness” in Acts of the Apostles. There are three essential components to his witness. In each case he states 1) how his life was before Christ, 2) how he met Christ and, 3) how his life has changed because of Christ.

I met Christ in his written word and in the sacraments, especially the Sacrament of Reconciliation in a big way. Witness to the power and efficacy of the sacraments is one way to know the true Church.

-Tim-

This plays a bit into the OP’s question:

All of the widely accepted Christian churches teach The Bible, at least what their interpretation of it is. We (protestants) ultimately do look for a church that teaches The Bible the way we think it should be understood, we may claim we don’t, but for the most part, if the interpretations of the church don’t match what we think is correct, we will search for another church. For instance, how many Baptists would honestly be comfortable just becoming Methodist, if that is the church near them, the Methodist church does teach from The Bible, their interpretation of it anyhow.

I know I was like that until I started to look for a greater understanding of Christianity, where it grew from, and all of the foundational documents of Christianity, since there were many more than only what was included in The Bible.

This really makes you have to look at the long picture. For the vast majority of time that Christianity has been around, only a very small percentage of the faithful could read. I would even contend now, that only a relatively small percentage have honestly read the entire Bible, let alone studied it at great length, not just studying the portions that reinforce their beliefs, but the entire Bible, even the passages that challenge our beliefs. This is where we really must put aside our desire to try to feel certain, and have faith, faith that when Jesus passed the leadership of His church on Earth to St. Peter and his other disciples, that he would ensure they would lead us to him, not that they themselves would necessarily act according to his designs at all times, but that they would direct the faithful of His church to Him.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.