Finding the Dominicans, and their spirituality

Friends :), I am wondering how one would go about finding a Dominican friar locally.

Living in Halifax, N.S., Canada as I do, there are very few Dominicans to be seen. This province is more Anglican than Catholic, of course, but one might expect to see a couple of friars! Either way, the Canadian website of the Dominican Order is mostly out-of-date, and 50%+ of the links there lead to 404 errors. How on Earth do I find these people? :p

Though baptism has not yet reached me, I realise that Dominican spirituality is very close to my heart. Once baptised, my very first action will be to look into their traditions and ideals more closely. I already have a huge devotion to St. Thomas Aquinas, but the general Order itself exerts a singular draw on my soul. It will be impossible to conform myself to them without actually finding a Dominican spiritual director, sadly.

Is there some sort of worldwide directory of friars of the Ordo Praedicatorum? Should I just go asking about the diocesan priests? If there are no Dominicans in Halifax, can we (some day) found a Secular/Lay/Third Order Dominican discernment group for the eventual creation of a local Tertiary congregation? :)

op-stjoseph.org/

they are the Eastern US province but hopefully you wont mind. They have a discernment weekend this April on the 4th i think but there are only two spots left so contact the spiritual director quick if you want spot

A note: since you are still progressing towards reception into the Church, be prepared to be told to wait a few years post-conversion before they'll take you. They could take you right away, anyways (after all, I don't know your individual story), but just be prepared because waiting to pursue your vocation can be hard (but I promise you, it's worth the wait).

A second note: be prepared to be called to leave your home behind you and go to where ever the Dominican order would send you, if you are indeed called to them.

I will pray to St Dominic for you (I love the Dominicans, too). You are right, that Dominican spirituality is indeed beautiful.

in Christ
wayward

ps - I highly recommend reading "And You Are Christs: The Charism of Virginity and the Celibate Life" by Fr. Thomas Dubay, if you haven't already. I think it's more common for women considering vocations to be told to read his work, but his message is very relevant to all men and women thinking of a celibate vocation.

certainly after reading his work, I found it impossible not to be attracted to celibacy for the sake of the kingdom.

in Christ
wayward

[quote="wayward, post:3, topic:224647"]
A note: since you are still progressing towards reception into the Church, be prepared to be told to wait a few years post-conversion before they'll take you. They could take you right away, anyways (after all, I don't know your individual story), but just be prepared because waiting to pursue your vocation can be hard (but I promise you, it's worth the wait).

A second note: be prepared to be called to leave your home behind you and go to where ever the Dominican order would send you, if you are indeed called to them.

I will pray to St Dominic for you (I love the Dominicans, too). You are right, that Dominican spirituality is indeed beautiful.

in Christ
wayward

[/quote]

1. I don't mind waiting 15 years, if I have to.This is more about finding a Dominican priest or friar to talk with him, not about becoming a Dominican myself. A vocation is a mysterious thing, and it will take many years for me to understand the obvious signs God is sending. Being taken in immediately isn't my concern... it's just talking with them :) and hearing their suggestions for reading.

2. The whole world is God's playground, and each of us are brothers and sisters related by blood - the Blood of Christ! This union as God's little children makes me fear no foreign people or places. My family are everywhere I go! Thanks be to God! :D

If you are praying for me, I beg you to do so by asking St. Thomas Aquinas for his intercessions, too! My name's Ian. ;)

[quote="wayward, post:4, topic:224647"]
ps - I highly recommend reading "And You Are Christs: The Charism of Virginity and the Celibate Life" by Fr. Thomas Dubay, if you haven't already. I think it's more common for women considering vocations to be told to read his work, but his message is very relevant to all men and women thinking of a celibate vocation.

certainly after reading his work, I found it impossible not to be attracted to celibacy for the sake of the kingdom.

in Christ
wayward

[/quote]

:) Righto! Thank you, my friend (even though he's not a Dominican :p).

The worldwide order's website for all branches of the Dominican family doesn't have a list of priories and houses, but it does have some other useful information.

As far as I know there are no Dominicans in Nova Scotia, but all 4 branches of the family (friars, nuns, sisters and laity) are in Quebec. I'm not familiar within Canadian geography so I don't know whether that's a feasible travelling distance for you or not. It's possible that there are lone Dominicans based in NS, you could find that out if youspoke to any of the Quebecois friars.

The national vocations promotor for Canada (he does speak English) is:
Fr. Rick van Lier, o.p.
4950 Boul. Gene H. Kruger
Trois-Rivières, QC G9A 4N6
phone: 819.694-4681, poste 215
[email]vocations@dominicains.ca[/email]

The contact details for other people in the Order in Canada seem to be up to date, but I'm not phoning from England to find out!

FYI, the Domincan student brothers here in the UK produce an excellent blog with a mixture of theological articles and more light-hearted stuff. Also, Timothy Radcliffe's books Sing a New Song and I Call You Friends, which contain his letters and sermons to the Order while he was Master, are excellent! There are other US, Irish and Australian sites which do offer online Dominican preaching, well worth a visit!

Thank you very much, batfink. :)

I sent an email to the vocations director, but no reply has come in two months. Perhaps I had better write a letter myself! You know how Dominicans are. :o Anyway, all I needed to know was the information on the number of OPs in Nova Scotia. The Rector of the archdiocesan cathedral did not know of any friars here, and I asked him yesterday. One used to visit from Toronto, but he is now ill and has not come here for two years.

The rector said he'd look at the directory just to be sure. :D

If you are discerning a vocation with the Dominicans, I recommend that you discuss this with your parish priest. Your parish priest will be able to provide you with spiritual direction and he'll be able to give you the benefit of his knowledge regarding the application process etc.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.