Finishing the Precious Blood

Last Sunday I experienced again an event that made me wonder if there is a rule of thumb regarding drinking from the chalice.

On receiving the chalice and starting to drink, I noticed that there was very little of the precious blood left. Not wanting to deprive those behind me, I took a teeny, tiny sip and moved on. Returning to my seat and kneeling, I watched dozens of folks continue to receive from that chalice. I strongly doubt that there was any kind of miraculous replenishment, so each of these people had to be doing no more than touching the blood to their lips. I realize that if everyone drank half of the remaining contents that, theoretically, we’d never run out. :smiley: But the real world is another matter.

At what point does one simply finish the chalice? When the blood is a dime-sized circle? A few drops? A drop? Never?

As a licenced Eucharistic Minister, I’ve noticed that bird-sipping is quite common.

Unless there’s a person who can’t (or doesn’t) receive Holy Communion under the form of bread, you’re not depriving anyone of anything by finishing the Precious Blood, just like we’re not being deprived of anything when the Chalice is simply not conceded to us (as was the case for centuries).

But as for “protocol” on when to finish the Precious Blood, I would probably do it when there was so little left that I would consider just letting it touch my lips rather than actually “drink” any of it.

Licensed? You gotta have a license? :smiley: Best to use “EMHC” too around here, otherwise threads tend to be derailed.

I like the term “bird-sipping” LOL.

But to address the OP, it seems to me to be a matter of communicants not wanting to be the last, perhaps out of a matter of courtesy and wanting to leave some for others.

There is some point, though, where it seems like they’re almost going through the motions and really don’t receive any consecrated wine.

As an EME as we call 'em in our parish (EMHC for those who are concerned about terminology), when I’m distributing the cup, when it looks like a reasonable effort won’t get the communicant any wine, that’s when it’s time to finish up. Granted, there’s always at least a drop or two in the bottom, but I don’t want any overzealous person tipping the chalice straight up and tapping on the bottom. :wink:

So my plan to begin carrying a straw is probably out of the question as well. Drat. :mad:

Well, we aren’t commanded to “take and sip”. :smiley:

[quote="newbie2]I don’t want any overzealous person tipping the chalice straight up and tapping on the bottom.
[/quote]

OMG, that’s hysterical!! I think I’d be between freezing completely and absolute laughter if I saw someone tip the chalice and tap the bottom like a movie theater cup.
Watchman, make it one of those crazy straws with all the loops. I’m sure that wouldn’t be a big problem. :wink:

I’ve seen the laity finish off the contents of a chalice before and the EM simply took the chalice back. Those in line to receive the Precious Blood simply moved to another chalice holder.

Only the priest is the Eucharistic Minister.
Lay people who distribute are Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion. They are NOT Eucharistic Ministers.

Perhaps you missed post #4. :smiley:

EMOHC aren’t licensed they are Commissioned.:twocents:

It’s called a fistula, and it must be made of precious metal and undergo an ablution after use.

As far as I know, EMHC is an exclusively Roman Rite term. I’ve certainly never heard it used in an Anglican context.

I definitely have a copy of my licence from the bishop around here somewhere.

A few drops the chalice should be finished and removed to the altar or table for the priest or deacon to purify. There is no point in having an (for all practical purposes) an empty chalice being presented to communicants.

:o

:o

Looks like Newbie was right. :rolleyes:

In the Catholic Church we are commissioned. I have a card with the date of my commissioning from my Bishop.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.