Firework or Plastic Bag

Dear CAF memebrs, Pax Christi:

A friend of mine posted an article online wondering out loud about the influence that the philosophy of singers has on us based on Katy Perry's song Firework.

catholic.net/index.php?option=dedestaca&id=6133&grupo=News Media&canal=Entertainment

I hope you find it a usefull reflection.

God bless.

In Christ,
Br Matthew, LC

Thanks for posting---that was well said!!!:thumbsup:

I'd rather be God's Firework, doing His Will in this world, as best I can, than be a empty plastic bag, drifting in the winds of Fear and Injustice.

[quote="Vicktoria, post:3, topic:230264"]
I'd rather be God's Firework, doing His Will in this world, as best I can, than be a empty plastic bag, drifting in the winds of Fear and Injustice.

[/quote]

Touché. ;)

I think a lot about song lyrics, and I have a slightly different take. I understand the emphasis of the song to be encouragement. So many people are depressed, hopeless, beaten down, etc, they are naturally encouraged by the thought that they have worth, and that they could show the world their talents if they could just pull it together and get going.

So far so good, but the extreme example of a firework goes beyond encouragement to unrealistic expectations. Suppose you are a fantastic flutist, the best in the world even. How many people in the U.S. would pay to go to a flute concert? (no offense to you flutists of course) Our talents may not be appreciated in the way the song suggests they will. There is an unhealthy dose of "the gospel of self esteem" mixed in to this song. Essentially the gospel of self esteem says, you can do anything!, you are amazing!, if you just believe in yourself it will happen!.

Sounds nice, but most of us know the truth, we can't all be as popular as Katy Perry, even for 15 minutes, and while our talents at work for God's Kingdom may be applauded in Heaven, its a tougher crowd down here. Our dignity is our identity as being part of the family of God. It is not based on popularity or anything we have done.
So there is my two cents. ;)

[quote="NewEvanglztn, post:5, topic:230264"]

So far so good, but the extreme example of a firework goes beyond encouragement to unrealistic expectations. Suppose you are a fantastic flutist, the best in the world even. How many people in the U.S. would pay to go to a flute concert? (no offense to you flutists of course) Our talents may not be appreciated in the way the song suggests they will. There is an unhealthy dose of "the gospel of self esteem" mixed in to this song. Essentially the gospel of self esteem says, you can do anything!, you are amazing!, if you just believe in yourself it will happen!.

[/quote]

From Mark:
And Jesus saith to him: If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.

Yes, I know I have my limits, as just a tiny little human being, especially in ~this~ broken world we live in... but will this world last forever? I understand how you might consider it unsafe, even dangerous, and worry people might try to go past their own limits, and fall flat on their faces... but even then, as long as we keep our faith, and eyes, on God... we can still learn valuable lessons from trying, and even from getting tripped up... even if the best we can manage is to get up in front of a cafe full of people and read a poem we wrote... in ~some~ ways, one can see such a seemingly small task, to be a very ~big~ deal, from the standpoint of someone who's afraid of public speaking ~lol~

When you do that, with friends and family who ~know~ how hard such a task was for you, then, in ~at least~ that ~personal~ way, then Very Much so, "Our talents ~are~ appreciated in the way the song suggests they will."

~I~ don't like to get tripped up by the popular "self inflated" ideas of self esteem and such ~either~... but I'm not going to dismiss something in which I can ~feel~ the Love of God in, when I look for ~that~ instead of something negative... ~regardless~ of what the artist may or may not have intended...

Nothing in this world is done, without God's permission, and even in the darkest moments in my life, I can find peace and goodness at the heart of them.

Sounds nice, but most of us know the truth, we can't all be as popular as Katy Perry, even for 15 minutes, and while our talents at work for God's Kingdom may be applauded in Heaven, its a tougher crowd down here. Our dignity is our identity as being part of the family of God. It is not based on popularity or anything we have done.
So there is my two cents. ;)

I don't worry about the "crowd down here"... except that I know God is watching, and that makes me feel both very safe, and very mindful, of what I'm about =)

~V~

Those are good points Vicktoria, it is an uplifting song. I would not want to deflate any encouragement that you or anyone saw in the song. Thanks for sharing that. I didn't mean to write that people shouldn't "be all they can be", and to fear stepping out in faith. I completely encourage that. Far too many people keep their poems etc. hidden away out of fear.
God Bless;)

I just think the author of the article is taking her song waaay to seriously. I love her music, it's fun. It's supposed to be fun. Her music isn't supposed to have some awe inspiring message.
I like the song. I think it has a good message for young people, especially in a time when kids are being bullied to suicide in schools. Maybe listening to songs like this will give them confidence enough to cope.

[quote="child_of_God85, post:8, topic:230264"]
I just think the author of the article is taking her song waaay to seriously. I love her music, it's fun. It's supposed to be fun. Her music isn't supposed to have some awe inspiring message.
I like the song. I think it has a good message for young people, especially in a time when kids are being bullied to suicide in schools. Maybe listening to songs like this will give them confidence enough to cope.

[/quote]

True-----I Guess That Is what Perry would Say About The Song If She Was Here At CAF. However, I Also Agree With The Author Of The Article Somewhat----Not Everybody Can be A One-Of-A-Kind Genius. :rolleyes:

[quote="OrdinaryMelkite, post:9, topic:230264"]
Not Everybody Can be A One-Of-A-Kind Genius. :rolleyes:

[/quote]

I disagree with that, too, actually. Everyone has unique, God Given, talents and gifts that, even if they're not "unique" in the sense that "no one else in the world has these abilities", they ~still~ are unique in the sense that it's something that is ~part~ of a person who ~is~ unique in the sense of "all the things that makes me be ~me~, and not ~you~, makes me a separate person, whom God loves, me, as me, as He does you, you"...

One of a Kind
(Unique) (just like everyone else). =)

and it's when we ~share~ all of our gifts, with others, without asking anything in return, that God shines in us... Genius is something or someone embodying exceptional intellectual ability, creativity, or originality =)

Love,

~V~

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.