Firing of gay teachers at Cor Jesu draws outcry

"Firing of gay teachers at Cor Jesu draws outcry

The termination of two gay faculty members at Cor Jesu, the all-girls Catholic high school in the Affton area, has prompted an outcry from alumnae."…

Blue excerpt quoted from article here: stltoday.com/lifestyles/faith-and-values/firing-of-gay-teachers-at-cor-jesu-draws-outcry/article_d9254f78-708d-514d-8cc1-68a9748b5632.html

Please pray for the Cor Jesu Academy community.

A PRAYER IN TIME OF DISTRESS
I shall walk through dark valleys,
I fear no harm for you are at my side.
Your rod and staff shall give me courage,
No evil shall befall me,
No weakness in my stride. God wills not my foot to slip
Or my guardian sleep, He guides me from all evil,
The Lord is my guardian; The Lord the shade I keep,
By day the sun cannot harm me Or the moon by night
For the Lord said, “Do not let your hearts be troubled,
Have faith in God and also in me. In my Father’s house
There are many dwelling places. If there were not,
Would I have told you That I am going to prepare
A place for you? And if I go and Prepare a place for you,
I will come back again And take you to myself,
So that where I am You also may be.”
If the Lord is with us,Who can be against us?

PRAYER TO ST. MICHAEL
St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle.
Be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the Devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray, and do thou,
O Prince of the heavenly hosts, by the power of God,
thrust into hell Satan, and all the evil spirits,
who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

Dona Nobis Pacem.

In the last several weeks, alumnae have created a private Facebook group with more than 2,000 members in support of Olivia Reichert and Christina Gambaro, urging supporters to call and write to Cor Jesu leaders and voice their concerns.

That outcry has led some to vow to no longer financially support Cor Jesu and encourage others to also withhold donations

Reichert said she and her partner were asked to resign after the school said in late July it received a copy of a mortgage application with the couple’s names. The school said the couple had violated the moral contract faculty are required to sign as part of employment. The couple had married in New York over the summer.

They signed a contract.

I beginning to think these couple often do this just to give the Catholic Church bad press.

It’s only bad press in the sense that those who don’t like the Church will continue to not like it. This is good press for Cor Jesu. A Catholic school upholds its Catholic faith.

Actually - if you read the article, the couple was relatively classy about the situation and are not the ones stirring the pot. It doesn’t sound like they have any plans to sue or picket or any of the usual responses. I figure if the Post-Dispatch couldn’t quote them as saying horrible things about the Catholic church, it wasn’t said because trust me, the Post will try to stir the pot and make the Church look bad.

I actually am acquainted with people there and one of their takes on the situation is that this has happened a few weeks ago and the Post sat on the story while the whole Ferguson riots were occurring so the story didn’t get lost. That tells you a lot about the news media, doesn’t it?

Kris

What a shame the school taught the students so poorly that the alumae don’t understand what happened. Bad enough that the reporter kept saying “fired for sexual orientation” but at least was honest enough to include the “marital” status of each example given.

And another point… when they say, I bet a lot of the other staff members are doing this or that, well, those things are actions people generally keep quiet about, aren’t they? But if a teacher started wearing a shirt saying it was good to use the Pill, s/he’d get fired pretty quickly too!

It is the public announcement of sin which gets them fired.

Well said.
Mary.

Actually - if you read the article, the couple was relatively classy about the situation and are not the ones stirring the pot. It doesn’t sound like they have any plans to sue or picket or any of the usual responses. I figure if the Post-Dispatch couldn’t quote them as saying horrible things about the Catholic church, it wasn’t said because trust me, the Post will try to stir the pot and make the Church look bad.

It’s activists, not regular GLBTQ persons who are the problem.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the Post had a hidden agenda to make the Church look bad.

Word on the street is this is getting a lot of vitriol.

Hidden agenda??? You’re being quite generous.

Playing it safe. :smiley:

OTOH we don’t know what actually was in that contract.

I thought about that too. I am just so sad for the community. Cor Jesu is a joyful, authentic Catholic community that upholds the teachings of the Catholic Church. Now the school, as well as the greater Catholic Church, are tarnished by this in the eyes of some, though my thought is that it is much ado about nothing. Why is anyone surprised that a Catholic school upholds the teachings of the Catholic Church? No news there (or there shouldn’t be, though I realize that many schools, hospitals, organizations, etc. are Catholic in name only). Some of the comments I read are just awful because so many always use whatever opportunity arises to gleefully bash our Church. It just makes me sad.

What really bothers me is that this was instigated by alumnae. They graduated from Cor Jesu and still don’t seem to know what our Church teaches and what the school stands for? Heartbreaking.

Following is commentary from a local Catholic blog that I used to read almost daily, but now only have time to read occasionally. The commentary is thought-provoking, though I think it is more accurate to say that many parents no longer teach or uphold the Faith. Thus, they are primarily producing the aiders and abetters of our own persecution. The schools who are now Catholic in name only aid the parents in that folly.

"When Catholic Schools Don’t Teach the Faith, They Find It Hard to Defend the Faith

This story at STLToday covers a fairly predictable local story for these morally putrid times. Two female teachers who are pretending to be married to each other and living together in a gravely disordered relationship have been fired for violating their employment contract, which sensibly contains a conduct clause.

So far, so good for Cor Jesu. But of course there is the inevitable backlash. And while it is fueled by the professional corrupters of Western Civilization, what is unfortunately not surprising is that the backlash is led by alumnae of the school. They wish to use the usual extortionist tactics of the perversion lobby to divert finances away from the school.

If you ever want to see a compelling indictment of the state of Catholic education, read the comments section of any story in the secular press where a Catholic school attempts to stand, even minimally, for the Faith of two thousand years and for the Natural Law that has existed for as long as man has existed. …

…Enjoy the ride down the toilet, folks. Our schools are producing the aiders and abetters of our own persecution. "

Blue excerpts above taken from blog entry linked here: stlouiscatholic.blogspot.com/2014/09/when-catholic-schools-don-teach-faith.html

You are right…Agree…

The best thing really anyone can do is give them money, even if it’s just a small amount and send them a short message of support.

Use the free market to make our moral, CATHOLIC voices heard! :yup:

Don’t be silenced by the activist bullies! :nope:

These morality clauses are boilerplate clauses for Catholic school employment contracts, and the school said they include them. So considering it’s easily verifiable, it makes no sense for them to lie about it.

I think the couple’s more legitimate point is their claim that the school didn’t enforce the clause in other respects (perhaps, turning a blind eye to adultery, ‘living in sin’, etc.). If this is true, then the couple might have a discrimination case.

Well, it could “turn a blind eye” because those things were not a source of scandal, e.g., because they were not generally known.

This is not new stuff, but secularists don’t care to understand distinctions or catholic principles.

I had a music teacher in catholic grade school that pretty much everybody knew was gay. He didn’t discuss it, there was no open public defiance of church teaching and everybody got along fine. The church is not interested in having everybody snooping and reporting on everybody else. We already know that we’re all sinners. The important part is that we’re supposed to be repentant sinners trying our best to accept Grace and be sanctified.

If a teacher is gay, that’s one thing and not much different than the rest of us sinners. If a teacher ‘marries’ his gay lover, he’s making a public statement that his sin is righteousness. That can’t be tolerated. It’s NOT a double standard or lack of enforcement compared to the teacher who had a one night stand with somebody. Individual sins don’t disqualify one from the position. Public stances that sins aren’t sinful do.

I would agree so far as the public nature of the behavior is reason for the difference in treatment. These stories are always so odd to me. The teachers signed a contract so are they being fired for “being gay” or simply for publicly violating their contact of employment? Why sign on to something for voluntary employment when you could go elsewhere for a job? Why then would you marry and expect nothing to come of it? Although on the other hand was the school snooping in finding this mortgage application or did someone send it to school officials? Would the school not act similarly if a straight but unmarried couple moved in together?

This is a good idea. The school is in the middle of fundraising for a new chapel, gym, and student commons. The controversy threatens to undermine this effort.

I think you ask a good question. The news article states that the mortgage application was sent to the school. Why would the school receive the couple’s loan request?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.